perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What Texas Holdem Poker is to me!
Its WAR. When you sign up for a tournament there is only two ways out. To win the war or lose it. There are rules you must follow in the war.

You are the General of your army. The chips are your men. The two cards you get are your weapons. The flop three cards is the battle field.

A great General will lead his men into battle with the best weapons he can get. A bad General will get in the battle with weak weapons. Each chip
you lose makes you weaker as the battles progress.

Now starting with AA being a weapon of mass destruction and 72 being a pea shooter.
Your starting hand
is what you go into battle with.
You must pick your battles wisely or you will lose the war.

If you play passive the turn and river can change the war and you will lose.

Now everyone can add to this and at the end of thread we can put it all together and the newbys will understand the game and play it with more respect.

syarbouh

syarbouh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is poker to me?

It is a headache but I love the game.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Don't forget to have fun also.

If you take it to seriously it can block your creative process and decision making. Not to mention how hard it will be every-time you lose.

You sound like it is a matter of life and death (even if I understand it's an analogy/metaphor).

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker for me is something wonderful is my daily companion, the one who accompanies me makes me angry gives me joy .. it fills me with indecision and who I will never leave.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes I look at poker as a war, But when you have a chip stack that is 4 to 5 times the size of your closest opponent. You can take a knife into a gun fight and come out with even more chips than you had. I've used this strategy many times. I know you don't respect my game much and maybe I'm a fish in your book. I like to try and use my chips as well as position and my starting hands. I also try to use my image and who I'm playing against to my advantage. People always have a great plan until they are punched in the mouth. ( A quote from Mike Tyson) Anyway I look forward to doing battle with you in the future. I like to play against tough players and see if I can find a way to beat them. You may look at my play and go he just got lucky. But I try to find information in every action I try. Be calling down with Jack high to see how someone is playing for future use. One Tournament is a War you are right there. But in our lives the Wars that we fight are infinite.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Could not have said this any better and I feel the same way.

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this completes

Its WAR. When you sign up for a tournament there is only two ways out. To win the war or lose it. There are rules you must follow in the war.

You are the General of your army. The chips are your men. The two cards you get are your weapons. The flop three cards is the battle field.

A great General will lead his men into battle with the best weapons he can get. A bad General will get in the battle with weak weapons. Each chip

Now starting with AA being a weapon of mass destruction and 72 being a pea shooter.
Your starting hand

Now everyone can add to this and at the end of thread we can put it all together and the newbys will understand the game and play it with more respect.
exactly this way. TURN is the traitorous soldier and RiVER kills you with a stab in the back works well, so I get the enemy weapon of AA distribution. ENEMY picks 72 comes to the battlefield, K98 the traitor soldier on the turn brings me a 2 and the unfortunate rIVER, gives me 7 also in all my week

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
For me, poker is a hobby that always gives me pleasure. For me, the main thing is the right and quality solutions. If I play right, I always enjoy the game, no matter the outcome.
Good luck.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Poker for me is all these things, as with Chess you are fighting a battle with your Pawns on the front line being your foot soldiers and the other pieces behind, being the Colonel's, General's, Captains and Sergeants etc.
In order to win you have to be strategic in your play, finding the opponents weak spots and using them to defeat them, but also as with Chess it is a game, and when the game is over you can put the pieces away until another day.
Poker is exactly the same, in that once the games is over you put the chips away to fight again some other day, If you can think of Poker as a game and not as a way of winning money, you can start to have fun with the game, winning and losing is not that important and you can enjoy it more.
Poker to me is an enjoyable hobby, I will play to win and sometimes I do, but losing is not that important, if you can say at the end of the game you played your best, but your best was not good enough, then so be it. Learn from your mistake's and play better tomorrow.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker to me is entertainment and also a hobby. It's a quite good form of entertainment and if you are careful, it's not expensive.

S

satriyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Hobby

For me it is clear that it is a hobby and perhaps it is also a way to make some money, if one is good at playing.:rolleyes:

N

NikhilSegel

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is life and life is to be enjoyed.
I enjoy the Battle and War analogy but at times poker for me is about laughter and sharing and just having fun with friends.
At times it is about the mind and how one can exploit it, play with others minds and come out on top.

Poker is life and life is poker.
Enjoy it live it

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

Poker for me has turned into some kind of fix idea. This is some kind of madness. I can't calm down if I lose. Family problems begin. But, I think that I am not the only one.

Blackchipp

Blackchipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is a hobbie to me, i have so much fun playing poker and this sport of mind bring me to travel to vegas 3 times and to ireland once in 2011.
I m a brazilian, but i prefer poker than soccer... lol

shim36

shim36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a hobby for me. It is very difficult, but it can be a lot of fun if you have a good strategy and experience more success!

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
for me, porker is fun but its analogy is correct, poker is a game of strategy choices that wins that executes your strategy better!

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Somehow this is the quote that fully describes poker as a symbol of life (Roger von Oech, not a literal quote because I translated it back from Hungarian to English, but the point is in it):
"Life is like a poker game. either I share or they share with me. it takes talent and luck. the man holds the bet, raises and bluffs. you can always learn from your partners. sometimes we win with a single pair, but we also lose with a full. whatever happens, it’s good as long as the deck is in motion."

Sansam

Sansam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, poker is about developing the ability to manage your emotions and self-control while playing.

M

MaiconxFCKx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Your starting hand

For me at moment, its fun and one way to make some money, but i'm still learning yet.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill, luck, strategy endurance and much more. When you're playing poker you have to stay focused and your memory has to be sharp to recall your cards and your opponents tendencies in certain situations.

B

bigthereal

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a game where it is possible to win some money too

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow! That sounds to me like alot of work,,,and tension,we can trick ourselves into thinking something is more important than "it" really is,,,whew.:cool: