What is the most frustrating thing about playing poker?

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Sometimes I am saddened by the wasted time. Although I play for fun, money is also important to me and sometimes I get angry if I waste a lot of time and don't win anything.

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
during these many years I have realized that in the beginning I was able to win playing online poker and this was allowed to me on purpose to draw me deeper because that is human nature we cannot stop we need more and more
unfortunately, after many years together, online poker no longer allows me to win

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like that it's difficult to gain a foothold in the higher limit

hamon08

hamon08

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It upsets me when I leave a tournament on bubble, a lot of lost time that was not paid for. There are also moments when you have, say, queen king of diamonds and you hit a flush with your last card and go to the pot and your opponent quickly calls and shows ace five of diamonds, these coolers are also very frustrating.

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
What frustrates me the most is how inconsistent I am and how challenging it is to maintain good performance in poker. If you play too often, it becomes more difficult to stay focused and pay attention to everything. I would like to be a bit more consistent in terms of performance. Also, as a beginner, I make quite a few mistakes, and that can bother me. But over time, I try to polish them.

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What irritates me the most is when I get run over hard on the river, that's the worst thing

broncho

broncho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
The most frustrating aspect of playing poker often revolves around the inherent unpredictability and variance that characterize the game. Poker, by its nature, involves a significant element of chance, and this uncertainty can lead to moments of frustration for players.

One of the primary sources of frustration in poker is the variance in outcomes, even for skilled players. Despite making optimal decisions based on probabilities and reading opponents accurately, luck can play a substantial role in short-term results. A player may find themselves on the receiving end of a bad beat, where a statistically improbable card on the river drastically alters the outcome of a hand. This randomness can be exasperating, especially when it seems that luck, rather than skill, is the determining factor in a particular session or tournament.

Another frustration stems from the emotional toll of the game. The need to maintain composure and make rational decisions, particularly during losing streaks, can be mentally taxing. Tilt, a state of emotional frustration or irrationality, is a common phenomenon in poker. When a player experiences a series of setbacks or unfavorable outcomes, it can lead to lapses in judgment and decision-making, compounding the frustration.

The pressure of financial stakes also contributes to the frustration in poker. Unlike many casual games, poker often involves real money, and the fear of losing funds can amplify the emotional impact of each decision. Losing money, especially in a short period, can be disheartening and lead to a sense of regret or self-doubt.

Furthermore, the dynamics of bluffing and deception in poker can be frustrating. Being outplayed by opponents who successfully bluff or make unexpected moves can evoke feelings of helplessness. The inability to control the actions of others, coupled with the uncertainty of opponents' intentions, can be a constant source of frustration for players aiming for consistency and predictability in their decision-making.

Additionally, the time investment required to improve at poker can lead to frustration. The learning curve is steep, and progress may not always be linear. Players may invest significant time studying the game, honing their skills, and analyzing hands, only to face setbacks that seem disproportionate to their efforts. This perceived lack of immediate rewards can be discouraging.

In summary, the most frustrating thing about playing poker often arises from the inherent unpredictability, emotional demands, financial pressures, and the element of luck that can overshadow skill in the short term. Navigating these challenges requires resilience and a focus on long-term success, but the frustrations are an integral part of the complex and dynamic nature of the game.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
losing, being sucked out, being eliminated just before the bubble...

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the most frustrating thing in poker is when someone takes you out of the game before you enter the prizes, especially when you lose with favorite cards against lower rated cards.

bullkk

bullkk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What upsets me most about poker is the strange moves

Falai_san

Falai_san

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
To come close to winning the tournament and come out in second place

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
1. things are not going the way I want them to
2. I don't have enough money to play everything I want
3. I also want to win a big tournament, but how long will I have to wait?
The most frustrating thing for me is that when I have a small stack, I am more likely to lose in heads-up play with a stronger card a player with 3-4 times bigger stack. This is especially seen in freerolls in late registration. When you enter with 2-3 big blinds and the chip leader with 10-20 big blinds goes all-in with "72" and wins my "AK", for example. :confused:

Dasha_21

Dasha_21

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The most frustrating thing is to fly out one person before the prizes

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
There are two things that can really frustrate you while playing.
One is slowroll. It's terribly confusing.
The other is if there is a hand in hand mode and someone takes the time to get into the money...

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's kind of oxymoronic because to me the most frustrating part of playing poker is NOT being able to play poker at reputable sites. It is the World Wide Web so wtf? Lawmakers... Am I right? Sheesh.

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I guess it depends on each person. For me it's when you are on a bad streak, even if you move properly, you just can't win a thing.

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The most frustrating aspect of playing poker is engaging in a game and not winning. However, as you spend more time in this, you come to realize that, in the end, you always come out on top. The key is to think long-term

vitas_top

vitas_top

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I never get upset when playing poker because I'm playing for fun.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
For me, the most frustrating thing in poker is the players who bet everything on all hands. I have encountered players who do this and the truth is that I don't understand why they do it.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most frustrating aspect of playing poker often revolves around the inherent unpredictability and variance that characterize the game. Poker, by its nature, involves a significant element of chance, and this uncertainty can lead to moments of frustration for players.

One of the primary sources of frustration in poker is the variance in outcomes, even for skilled players. Despite making optimal decisions based on probabilities and reading opponents accurately, luck can play a substantial role in short-term results. A player may find themselves on the receiving end of a bad beat, where a statistically improbable card on the river drastically alters the outcome of a hand. This randomness can be exasperating, especially when it seems that luck, rather than skill, is the determining factor in a particular session or tournament.

Another frustration stems from the emotional toll of the game. The need to maintain composure and make rational decisions, particularly during losing streaks, can be mentally taxing. Tilt, a state of emotional frustration or irrationality, is a common phenomenon in poker. When a player experiences a series of setbacks or unfavorable outcomes, it can lead to lapses in judgment and decision-making, compounding the frustration.

The pressure of financial stakes also contributes to the frustration in poker. Unlike many casual games, poker often involves real money, and the fear of losing funds can amplify the emotional impact of each decision. Losing money, especially in a short period, can be disheartening and lead to a sense of regret or self-doubt.

Furthermore, the dynamics of bluffing and deception in poker can be frustrating. Being outplayed by opponents who successfully bluff or make unexpected moves can evoke feelings of helplessness. The inability to control the actions of others, coupled with the uncertainty of opponents' intentions, can be a constant source of frustration for players aiming for consistency and predictability in their decision-making.

Additionally, the time investment required to improve at poker can lead to frustration. The learning curve is steep, and progress may not always be linear. Players may invest significant time studying the game, honing their skills, and analyzing hands, only to face setbacks that seem disproportionate to their efforts. This perceived lack of immediate rewards can be discouraging.

In summary, the most frustrating thing about playing poker often arises from the inherent unpredictability, emotional demands, financial pressures, and the element of luck that can overshadow skill in the short term. Navigating these challenges requires resilience and a focus on long-term success, but the frustrations are an integral part of the complex and dynamic nature of the game.
Excellent post. You left me feeling a whole lot better about my journey, knowing that I have company :D

While reading it, I saw my struggles and reasons for tilting being mentioned again and again.

Cheers and thanks for taking the time to share! (y)

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Poker fans,

One of the most frustrating things in poker is dealing with aggressive and lucky big stacks!

The pain is magnified if I am well placed, shove when I am ahead against them and the dreaded big stack sick joke rears its ugly head and they win double gut shot hands. Big stacks put maximum pressure on players and often force me to fold many hands that would have won had I seen the flop! Tilt often occurs followed by a bustout :(.

A very vicious cycle indeed.

K

Ketoupitou

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Bad beats. You play a hand perfectly and still get on the wrong end... 😡

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Playing poorly and making big mistakes. It's frustrating because I did it, it's my own fault.

Sometimes you play well and things don't go your way, but that's ok. There's nothing anyone could do to change that.

There are times when I get caught up in a moment, don't stop to think and make bad choices.

A leak of mine is counter-aggression to me being aggressive. You re-raised my check-raise? You raised the pot to 1.25 x pot bet that I made with an overpair? I sometimes burn a buy-in by moving all in or calling all in in such circumstances without taking time to think how the hand had played out up to that point, or thinking about what kind of player my opponent is.

I'm better at it than I was, I don't do it as often anymore. Of course I don't want to fold every time in the face of counter-aggression either, that would make me so easy to beat. It's these moments where I snap call, or snap move all in without thinking that frustrate me the most. Even if I made the same decision after some thinking time it would be ok. It would be a logical decision rather than an unthinking emotional one.

Last edited: