What is more difficult to manage a win or a loss?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would not let the losses bother you. I know that is easier said than done but it will help you to not worry about them. A few days ago, I was playing heads up and got 3 outed on the river. Getting it in on the flop with only 3 cards to come I accomplished what I wanted. I got the chips in good for the win. Yes, the river hurt but I did what was needed of myself. I got it in good.

What is harder to get over is when I make a mistake. When I miss play a hand that cost me a ton of chips or knocks me out that is what is hard to get over. When you make the error that is painful. It's not about a bluff gone bad or making a call that I was wrong about but when I make an illogical play or basic mistake that's the issue that i find painful.

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think that happens to most of us, after a victory we feel that we can win them all and in the end we risk much more than we should

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that the question is not about win or lose, but about being profitable... after winning or losing a hand, you have to think that this hand is over and continue your game for the next one.
Save the information from the hands you passed and prepare based on them for the next...

aurora1207

aurora1207

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
For me loss is much harder to manage .

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't know what is more difficult to overcome a win or a loss. I often feel that it should be a loss, but after a loss I try to play more carefully and responsibly, and with that loss my game improves and I limit my losses, but after a win it's the opposite, I play more risky and suddenly I'm in the red. How is it with you?
Success is Tougher To Beat Than Failure Jackie Gleason

AAlemOon

AAlemOon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
if the values are high both would be difficult but more productive would be the victory 🏅

K

Ketoupitou

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
There's no doubt for me that it's in losses... even worse if I get beat on the river.

ENRIQUE23977

ENRIQUE23977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
friend, it's hard to overcome a defeat and even more to be in the final table, a victory is not overcome but is celebrated.
This is what I thought, and I asked myself, how to overcome a victory? Is this new or the google translator made me a bad translation (OMG).

It's like my comrades say that I know most of the victories are celebrated, because the purpose of all the games is to win, that's the way poker is.

Now if we talk about how to overcome defeats and it is known that it is difficult, there are several ways to do that and motivate yourself to keep trying to win.

The best advice I can give you is Perseverance, there is a saying that says that: "he who perseveres triumphs". As an example I can give you Thomas Edison, who spent more than two years testing around 300 theories to create the electric light bulb. Edison said, "I didn't fail, I just discovered 999 ways not to make a light bulb." Edison taught us what is perseverance and willpower you need to have when pursuing a goal and how you can learn from failure to achieve success. The patience he had to have to achieve this great find is incredible.

As we can see to be successful in anything, we always find the same elements, perseverance, patience and a lot of study. In Poker it is the same, the best players in the world had to go through the path of defeats to learn from them and improve their strategies to achieve success.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, for me is more difficult lose with nuts in flop, because after that is terrible sensation, and recover is difficult. Usually I teak break for one day.

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't know what is more difficult to overcome a win or a loss. I often feel that it should be a loss, but after a loss I try to play more carefully and responsibly, and with that loss my game improves and I limit my losses, but after a win it's the opposite, I play more risky and suddenly I'm in the red. How is it with you?
for me is a loss, when I lose, my game starts becoming bad, I have little credibility on the site, I lose faith and sometimes I wonder that there are manipulations in the plays

BrotherPaps

BrotherPaps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think in the long run, it's a "zero-sum" game. Whatever we feel we don't deserve, we subconsciously discard, let go, "self-sabotage"... It all evens out eventually.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Defeats are more difficult to manage because they lead you to get confused and believe that you are doing things wrong. But when you study and prepare to improve your game, sometimes it's about the variation of poker and not about your own mistakes.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People going on winning tilt is not uncommon. I'm winning so I can take more risks type attitude. Weather that is upping the stakes, or even spending the winnings on other games.

I obviously prefer winning. Losing is much harder to take mentally.

muzenza2012

muzenza2012

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it depends on the values, if you lose a lot of money, it will certainly be more difficult to manage, and if you lose a little money, it will be easier. Now regarding the victory, regardless of the value, the champion is already ready.

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think that defeats are harder to deal with when playing for money

23maxim88

23maxim88

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have the same experience. After a good win, I tend to treat my bankroll with less responsibility.

Kerasuss28

Kerasuss28

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
Good question , im not sure for myself . I lose to quickly when i build op some good bankroll because i change from game or stakes too Quick.

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Managing both wins and losses in poker can present challenges, but they each come with their own set of considerations:

1. Managing Wins: While winning in poker is a desirable outcome, it can also bring its own challenges. Some considerations when managing wins include:
    • Avoiding Overconfidence: A significant win can lead to overconfidence and complacency, causing you to make suboptimal decisions in future games. It's important to stay grounded, maintain humility, and continue practicing proper bankroll management.
    • Managing Expectations: A big win may create higher expectations for future results, leading to pressure to replicate or exceed previous successes. It's important to set realistic expectations, understand the inherent variance in poker, and focus on making good decisions rather than solely pursuing monetary gains.
    • Avoiding Lifestyle Creep: A sudden influx of money from a win can tempt you to increase your spending or change your lifestyle significantly. It's important to resist the urge to splurge and instead use your winnings wisely, such as reinvesting in your bankroll, saving, or responsibly enjoying the rewards.
  2. Managing Losses: Dealing with losses in poker can be emotionally challenging, but it's a common part of the game. Some considerations when managing losses include:
    • Embracing Variance: Poker involves elements of luck, and losses are an inevitable part of the game. It's important to accept and embrace the natural variance, understanding that even skilled players can experience losing streaks.
    • Avoiding Tilt: A significant loss can trigger negative emotions and frustration, leading to tilt, which is when emotions negatively affect decision-making. Managing tilt is crucial to prevent further losses. Techniques such as taking breaks, practicing emotional control, and employing strategies to regain focus can help.
    • Analyzing and Learning: Instead of dwelling on losses, it's important to approach them as opportunities for growth. Analyze your play, identify mistakes or areas for improvement, and use losses as valuable learning experiences. Adapting and adjusting your strategy based on lessons learned can help you improve and bounce back stronger.
Both managing wins and losses require emotional control, discipline, and a long-term perspective. Maintaining a balanced mindset, avoiding extremes of overconfidence or despair, and focusing on continuous learning and improvement are key to managing both outcomes effectively.

It's important to note that individual experiences and responses to wins and losses can vary. Developing resilience, emotional intelligence, and a strong mental game can significantly aid in managing the emotional and psychological aspects of both winning and losing in poker.