What Kind of People Make the Best Poker Players?

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you watch poker on tv, the players at the top are all types of personalities. You have your Phil Laak who I would say is happy go lucky. And you have serious players such as Joe Hachem, Howard Lederer, etc......I could make this list long of all types of known players in poker. Poker is universal entertainment I think.

Last edited:
BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not playing to many hands and position are important in my opinion.:):):)

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Someone who is fully committed to learning and playing

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think very discipline and calm players,that recpect BRM and never tilt

E

Ero2407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the best players are those who learned to play poker not on online games but in live poker

D

dear7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Person who can control himself. Person who can wait right hand and play with good hand, person who do not bluffing when game just start.

M

musicaltriads

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
probably ones that always make plays based on sound logic and not emotion as soon as emotion gets involved in your play or strategy you are ****ed.
yh probably just someone thats an analytical thinker (detectives for the police might make good poker players lol if they could keep there emotions under control), but i think the biggest skill to being a successful player is emotional control im sure theres good poker players out there in the world that never manage to get under control things like bankroll management, impulse control, emotions or tilt hence stay longterm losers, so it goes back to always playing your own A game.
like im sure you can be a successful profitable longterm poker player without being an exceptionally skilled of a player (maybe even utterly mediocre/below average skill level player) by just having these things under control i could be wrong.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that a player who is ready mentally, mentally and physically for long distance victories, ready for both great luck and big defeats - is a strong player!:icon_king

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
also, people with lots and lots and lots of money (who are dedicated in learning and playing poker) will have a better chance at being ''succesful'' than someone who is good at poker but doesnt have much money...

i dont think its profitable for the average man, and i think we have to be honest about that?

does binking a tournement for say $5,000 make you succesful, when you maybe spent a months/year/s waiting for it to happen? ...or does it just feel like a success at the time?

luiaguila

luiaguila

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A successful person in poker is one who invests a lot of time in the game whether learning, improving or practicing to acquire more experience

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bet on good, lucky and patient, a combination of the 3 things. Already the philosopher would say no luck you should not even leave the house. Although such a phrase does not fit online poker.

rfbh54

rfbh54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Daniel Negreanu, Tom Dwan, Victor Bloom.

D

Dream Slayer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch young aggressive players and they are so confident and often have huge stacks and I find myself wishing I could play like them . I start to feel like this is the new wave and I am doomed. Then when I am sitting at the final table maybe one of them are still around, I wonder what happened to those really good poker players ?
I may sound cynical but I don't mean to be, they really seem like very good poker players. And they would certainly agree with that

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe there is big difference in a good poker player online versus live. I havent played live yet, but I bet its an entire different game.

For online, I guess the best is the one who analyse better the mathematics of poker, odds, ev, huds statistics etc

In live lets take for example the greatest. Negreanu is not a mathematical genius but with all his table talk to find information, with observation of tells and years of experience can take your money by not even looking at his cards. Get him on online, and all his advantage gone.
Ivey keeps his poker face when he have the nuts and when he play 7 2. You cant get nothing out of him, but he still can get his reads and play his image right.
Tom Dwan makes absurds bluffs that you really cant tell what can he have, so he gets pays when people dont belive him.

So, I dont believe there is a special recipe for success at being the best at poker tables. In the long run I would choose years of experience and the ability to have solid read on opponents to play the player and not the cards.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's no formula of a great player, some will win with playing looser, some will play more tight, play aggressive is very important, but some times you will need play passive, for cheating or save chips.

The image is very important, if you don't know how make a good image, try to be inspirate by yours poker idols.

Lucky is another word that you need to remember, anyone player can play bad but count with luck and win some times, and a good player can lose with good hands and playing correctly.

You will see differents types of winner players, look at the tournaments around the world, online or offline, don't judge players at the your first look.

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They always follow their strategy, and keep calm and not irritated if you lose any hand

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best players are rational as much as they can be, those who can retain their self control no matter what's been happening at the tables and in their lives for that matter.

A

ass707

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good player in a poker it is a very lucky rogue

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play my best when I try to take the emotions out and calculate the hands and risk instead of going on gut feelings and of course always patience. :star:

vapandrei

vapandrei

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, a fun-guy is a better player to me, if he's the type that can stay funny after a bust too. And not aggressive funny, but simple well disposed, amused and not naive. I'm talking about live poker. Negreanu is a type of funny, though not all the time.. not most of the time I guess.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the person who is willing to spend time to learn and work on their game. Like anything, those who study and practice are usually the best at what they do.