What to consider to make a living from poker?

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For now my income is enough to pay 1 or 2 bills. But I want the profits to be greater so that I can have many more accounts and also be able to go on vacation with the profits.

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Once you have learned the game, got your mental and BRM game to the top... Can you earn at least the minimum wage/hour of play 8 hours a day 5 days a week over the course of a year? If the answer to these questions is Yes... That's what you need to do.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's a simple question for some people but complex for others.

For the overwhelming majority the answer is obvious, you need to know if you can pay the bills or simply earn more than your own job.

In a way, you are correct, that is the basis, correcting your strategy, adapting as much and as quickly as possible to the new strategies or movements of regular players who have studied your game.

But what you need to know and often doesn't even cross your mind... Poker is not just a game of skill and luck, you must include your mental state, so to progress or even be a profitable player, you need to take care of your mind . Not just during the game, but that includes everything away from the table, namely your problems. If you don't look for forms of self-control and mental stabilization, you can be absolutely sure that you won't make progress in the long run and your profit chart will look like a roller coaster.

For many people, meditation is a good path, but the ideal is to first have self-knowledge and really know what works for you.

That done, already knowing what your game is and how to keep your mind healthy, you are on the right path to make a living from poker, just keep improving your game until you reach your goal.

And you, what do you think about it?
I’ll strongly recommend the books of professor John Anhalt, Polished Poker. By the way his with us as @John A ! Look for him, he has real great insights about this subjects, things that have changed the way I played forever.
It’s been a long time since I have read Polished Poker, but I recollect that first you have to be in a very solid financial and psychological state i.e; you gotta be already paying your bills with no further concerns! It seems absurd but look a simple example:
Suppose you are not able to pay your monthly bills and you gotta use your bank credit or lend it of some friend or family: in this scenario you can’t even think about making a life of poker. First you have to be economic stable then you start to think about living on poker profits.
Let’s suppose someone else pays your bills and you have anything else to worry: this is a perfect situation to begin a serious poker career, right? No, because when you depend on others money you will never have the peace of soul and mind to run your business.
Well, in any case it is better for you to read Polished Poker, is the best poker book that ever helped me along with Poker Theory of Sklansky.,

bredinha

bredinha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
bankroll is very important, it is from it that you will know how much you can invest either in cash or in tournaments. Also study a lot, analyze hands you've already played to see the odds and what action you could have changed.

K

KALUGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
Not having a family, job, friends, hobbies...

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I definitely won't be able to make money with poker. I don't have the level of knowledge and opportunities to be a poker professional. That's why I don't worry about the difficulties associated with the player, but only play freerolls for pocket money.
You mentioned not having the opportunity... but what would be the impediment? Lack of time?

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Not having a family, job, friends, hobbies...
I understand your feeling.
In fact, the game consumes your time and even getting organized takes you away from many things and people.

I agree in a way.

JeLeuMic

JeLeuMic

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At least the same wage that you would make having a job. The job that you are qualified for. So for ex. if you can get a job of 2000 euro's/$ per month then that amount you would need to make from poker.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't remember when, but I had already read it and even left a like, seeing it again, great point! What makes the topic relevant, give chips to Mr. Diego Ramos.

Artemloshara

Artemloshara

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, we should think about the fact that it is not always close and there is always a chance to lose what you earn.

D

DrBadBeat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the answer is going to vary dramatically from person to person. Different people may require more focus on their physical or mental health, someone social aspects may become more important.