Are Weekends BAD to play???? (too much noobs)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
pm'd you for a reason chewie... sure perhaps you're new and your bet-sizing is bad (I didn't read thru it actually).. but as I mentioned you will for sure get some CC regs. who will flame you for complaining about tables being full of fish.
Personally I can't stand to play on micro MTT tables on the 'weekend'... the game is far from poker imo... more like a home game donkament, let's all call any bets to the river.
ie. utg limps... call call call call SB min-raises.. call call call call (wtf is that?... what is... it's the norm on the weekend).
So your table is loose/pass so raise it up more preflop with big hands... you raise it up 4x in MP w big pr and get 4 flatcallers (nobody 3bets... just call call call.. "I wanna see a flop!!!!").
eg. from today (one of many... yes.. I wasted a few hrs. playing some weekend MTTs but most were priv., but not much better).......
EP minraises early levels.... I 3-bet BIG in LP with QQ, SB calls.. EP calls.
I flop TopSet... SB checks... EP checks... I lead out 7/8pot (it's a donkament, I'm playing my big hands fast).
SB actually 're-raises' me... I shove it ALLIN and he calls with the stupid (ignorant) end of a gutter... hits it on the turn... BOOM.. I'm outta there.. GREAT GAME!!.. when can we play again tyvm, LOL.
Okay so now I might hear.."you want this stuff".. of course I do. BUT.. I find on the weekend that you get soooooo many donkeys on the table at the same time that the game is the shits.
So you may respond.. "you want all the fish on your table, this is where you make your money from" (cash table.. yes I do want them.. I want to see alot of them... one or two will do the job.. the more the merrier... in a tournament... no thanks, a couple of them okay... a table full of them is a freak'n nightmare).
To those that still want to argue that these are actually ideal tournament conditions... tell me about your huge MTT winning stats??? Tell me of any solid/decent online MTT player who excels in these situations? Don't think you'll find any.

chewie.... learn the fundamentals of bet-sizing, position, etc. (read Phil Gordon's LIttle Green Book... then Harrington On Holdem Series (just to get started) ), and be sure to adjust your play in accordance to table conditions.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^Awesome advice. Maybe play only $500+ buy-in tourneys on the weekend so they will "respect your raises".

C

chipshuffler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Weekends are by far the best time to play. The reason u think you aslways get rivered by them is only because u remember the bad beats and not the good ones. If u keep playing and putting your money in ahead, ur bound to be a winning player. Full stop.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
MTT on weekends are torture for me. I always get called by way too many people in hands. Some idiot always shoves way behind in the hand and hits their miracle card on me.

agreed... although not 'always'... but very often.

Okay I've seen these kinds of comments on this forum & on others,... members flaming newer member for thinking that playing in an MTT with a table full of fish is a bad thing, and with them saying this is an ideal situation. For you guys.. maybe it is. I was curious though after reading your comments.... not a single one of you is even a winning MTT player, and all only play in micro stakes. So now realizing this, I guess I can now understand why you believe this to be true (because for you.. perhaps it is).

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once you get a feel for them weekends are good, very very good. Now this is my first time getting to play for cash at FTP since they added penny ante tables. I was comfortable with the 2c/5c tables but figured I should play closer to being within my bankroll now that it's an option(even though I still don't have a proper bankroll). So penny ante's been driving me nuts.

I managed to figure out how a few players were beating me and I'm around that play now(fold-fold-fold play tighter than tight). But even with a colon that's now capable of turning lumps of coal into diamonds(hey now there's a get rich quick scam, I mean scheme), I've been getting hot and cold running bad beats for the better part of a month. It's enough to make you sick(might be why I've got the flu now). Only, they've been coming all week long. The main difference I see on the weekend is that it's a lot wilder, looser, and apparently drunker. People make the drunkest plays and type the drunkest things into chat.

But here's the thing, during the week I'm lucky to get a caller or two when I'm in good and have the winning hand. On the weekend, I get three or four callers. If they have bigger stacks than my own I triple or quadruple up right there. And they aren't afraid of anything, so they call when I've got the nuts.

Which brings me to, you get bad beat once for your buy-in, it's just one buy-in. But when three or four players are calling when it's obvious you've got the nuts well, it more than makes up for one bad beat. So now I'm just sure that I should definitely stick to ring games on the weekend and just get my chips in with winners. I hardly have to chase and I'm almost guaranteed callers. On top of that there are upswings during the week too.

Oh and now I'm at least trying to avoid MTT's and even SNG's on the weekend until I can afford the R&A(because R&A's are a special kind of fun and drunken loons make them ultra fun).

T

TheWall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
40% ROI being respectable? To my knowledge thats amazing

I

Igeso

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Weekends are probably best time to play, but you have to stay focused, even when you play with donk players.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait what? There are people don't like playing against bad players?

P

PokerJoeAAAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your bet sizing both pre and post flop is HORRIBLE.

Make it at least 6x pre and then make your bets at least 2/3 pot post. Your bad play is not the weekends fault.

I agree with WVHillbilly, Post flop raise invites players to chase. If they want to chase make them pay.

P

PokerJoeAAAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow,....So true the saying "Don''t invite a poker player to your home. He may F*** your wife".

Several times I have being called an ALL IN where I may have QQ KK, even AA and the other player won thanks to the "luck" factor.

LOL............Do you think you are the only person to have AA KK QQ cracked by morons? Maybe poker isnt your game!

P

PokerJoeAAAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually imo yes. I have an ROI of 40% in MTTs so I'm not a bad player, but I seem to suck against bad players and am really struggling against them.
Better players are much more predictable and easier to put on a hand, because they follow basic strategy, often too rigidly and predictably, and their plays actually make sense.
If I play at a table of players with a respectable 20% - 40% ROI I can normally kill it, but the players who I lose to are almost always ones with ROI like -50%.
Fact is all the strategies you read in books don't work against really bad players.
Am I the only player whos like this?

You can use strategies that are over the skill level of the players you are playing. When you play against calling station morons, you need to wait for a big hand then value bet the donks.
You need to play tight aggressive (ABC)poker vs noobs.
“You can’t bluff an idiot” Doyle Brunson.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Donks will call off just about any seize bet pre-flop and on flop, so a good value bet would probably be all-in.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chewie - the general rule of thumb is to raise an extra bb for each person in the pot. So at a minimum you should have made your raise 6xbb pf. The problem if you don't raise enough is you create a domino effect of callers. You did just that with your raise, it offered great pot odds for everyone to call with their crap.

With large ppr's you want to isolate, you didn't. The more people in the pot the better chance one of them will donk out on you.

Your flop reraise was horrible. With that many players in and the pot size what it was, you should have reraised to 3/4 the pot or the pot to push people out. If everyone folds, great, you've taken down a nice pot.

Doyle Brunson says about AA and other large pprs "You will either win a small pot or lose a big one". True - it's a lesson myself and many others have learned the hard way.

Weekends - most players love the weekends specifically because there is more money to be made by bad players. Most players that can not find a way to exploit the bad players are themselves bad players. Myself included. It's nothing to take offense to as some have done here. It's a simple truth. If you can't learn how to change up your play to exploit the bad players then you shouldn't be playing with them unless of course, you are trying to learn how and you are open to constructive criticism. It might come across as harsh at times, so what? Suck it up, read between the lines and pull out the info that has been presented, even if it's not presented in the most diplomatic way. In the long run it will help you and your bankroll.

Personally, I don't think the intent of the majority of the players on here are waiting for a newer person to post something that may be considered the wrong train of thought just so they can pounce all over them and flame them.

Like I said, it may not always be presented with a sugar coating but there is truth in the words. Pick out what you think will help and be relevant to you and ignore the rest or counter why you don't agree. I just think it's a bad train of thought to think the regulars are waiting to pounce on and flame people. Other forums do that plenty, 2+2 comes to mind. This one typically does not imo.

Make some changes in your play, post hands in the HA section and once you've made some improvements to your game I think you will feel better about playing weekends. If you still don't, then avoid it and no one is going to fault you for preserving your own funds in the way you see best.

GL!

S

sheepy10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds like youve met some of the WEEKEND WARRIORS, most em em in a drunken stupor after the pub closes

gotta love em

moemtg

moemtg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup I agree

I agree in full on this one... there are hella newbies on the weekends that will push all in with ace rag.... then hit there pair... It just seems like the weekends have increased volume.. obviously people off work... but since they may not play but every weekend they may just end up being donks...

Anyway... I always prefer to play early early in the morning... I live on the West coast so I try and get on at 5 AM and everyone seems to be loser or tired... something I don't know but I always tend to bank more EARLY mornings of the weekdays.

That's My Two Cents,
Moe:cool:

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love the weekend poker warriors, play them smartly and you are almost guaranteed to increase your bankroll

Chewie as others have said, work on your betting patterns and sizes, you are making it too easy for someone to draw to that set, inside straight etc,
If you feel you are ahead and have the best hand, then make them pay.
Poker is NOT a game of 'niceness', it is a game of strength and aggression.

Read a few of the books already recommended and Brunson's Classic "Super System" (1 and 2)

:cool:

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Weekends - most players love the weekends specifically because there is more money to be made by bad players. Most players that can not find a way to exploit the bad players are themselves bad players. Myself included.

If I can beat good players consistently but lose against bad players all the time then what does that make me, a bad player or a good player?
I know I probably need to be more conservative than I am against calling stations and maniacs. Problem is that isn't my natural style. I like to play loose aggressively and like to make a lot of preflop raises and c bets and semi bluffs.
It drives me potty playing against people who'll call 5BB preflop raises with J5o out of position then just hit middle pair and call whatever after that.

A

AAChipMagnet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love the weekend poker warriors, play them smartly and you are almost guaranteed to increase your bankroll

Chewie as others have said, work on your betting patterns and sizes, you are making it too easy for someone to draw to that set, inside straight etc,
If you feel you are ahead and have the best hand, then make them pay.
Poker is NOT a game of 'niceness', it is a game of strength and aggression.

Read a few of the books already recommended and Brunson's Classic "Super System" (1 and 2)

:cool:

I would pay attention to this because free cards can be the one thing keeping you from moving forward more efficiently. It's nice to slow call and get huge pots but only if you truly have the nuts on the flop or a high pair in the hole. Even then, free cards can come up and bite you.

Implied Odds3

Implied Odds3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every time ive went busto its been on a weekend :)

FlopIt2Me

FlopIt2Me

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love playing online poker on the weekends. Getting called down with crap hands is a good thing. You will win more in the long run this way. You only notice the times you get sucked out on, but you don't realize how much more you win from calls like this.

I'd rather play against fish like these any day of the week. These are the most profitable opponents to face. When you encounter these types of players it should bring a smile to your face.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chewie- it'll help you if you change your way of thinking on the flop. After the flop comes out you need to bet according to the pot size, not the BB. Sounds like you're playing too high stakes for your BR. If you can lsoe 90% in a weekend you need to drop down in stakes.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
further advice

I apologize for my previous Post. This has been a ROUGH weekend. I lost 90% of my Bankroll and I can't help it,...BUt I got depressed.

I appreciate all the advice you are giving me and I appreciate more.

Thanks.

I.
Bankroll - BR-Management seems to be a huge leak you have to plug really fast.

II. Blowing out your BR on a weekend was either due to massive tilt and/or bad play. here: 5 Thoughts That Could Cripple Your Stack

III. Understand variance: Poker Variance

IV. Strategy

Attachments

• hinweis.jpg
    hinweis.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
T

ThomasShea

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No

I believe during the week, i play worse then on the weekends. No matter what days you are playing, their will always be donks and noobs. Even at any stakes, there are fish. Obviously the lower limits have the most fish, but you have to adjust your play. Lower the stake, use higher raises, bigger bets and raises. Use allins more than ever. Try this way, and make sure you play aggressive early, if you have a good chip stack early, you will soon encounter a bad beat and lose a lot, so try to have enough chips to get past that bad beat. GOOD LUCK

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd rather play against fish like these any day of the week. These are the most profitable opponents to face. When you encounter these types of players it should bring a smile to your face.

No.
The most profitable players to play against are average to mediocre players who are passive and conservative, and who play totally predictably.