Are Weekends BAD to play???? (too much noobs)

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How is a conservative opponent more profitable than a loose one? Please explain. Since average means mediocre, I've translated your post to mean "Average players who are semi-tight, passive, and predictable are the most profitable opponents to face". If I'm wrong, tell me how.

But if loose aggressive players can't wait to pay me off when I've got the nuts, they're way more profitable than any kind of tight player.

And if loose passive players can't read the board and want to pay me off, aren't they most profitable?

Furthermore, isn't the key component to your statement that the opponent's predictable?

Even loose aggressive players have patterns. Loose passive players can have them too. It's the patterns that make them predictable and so a loose player should be most profitable since they spew the maximum amount of chips in the minimum amount of time.

A semi-tight passive player takes quite a bit of coaxing. And after all that coaxing you don't get as much as you would if they were loose.

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But if loose aggressive players can't wait to pay me off when I've got the nuts, they're way more profitable than any kind of tight player.

And if loose passive players can't read the board and want to pay me off, aren't they most profitable?

Furthermore, isn't the key component to your statement that the opponent's predictable?

Even loose aggressive players have patterns. Loose passive players can have them too. It's the patterns that make them predictable and so a loose player should be most profitable since they spew the maximum amount of chips in the minimum amount of time.

A semi-tight passive player takes quite a bit of coaxing. And after all that coaxing you don't get as much as you would if they were loose.

Too often against a bad player you get the scenario when you have AA they call a 5BB raise preflop in middle position with 63o, flop a straight and win your entire stack after the flop or some other stupid scenario.
Maybe in theory they should be more profitable but it never seems to be that way in practice, and its nearly always bad players who bust me in tournaments, because they played a hand wrong and got lucky.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No.
The most profitable players to play against are average to mediocre players who are passive and conservative, and who play totally predictably.

i would rather play somebody who is a complete fish than i would play a mediocre player....much more profitable and i want to play against somebody unpredictable...who plays hand like 3 9 suited and calls big raises with any face cards...thats where the money is

Lazmansa

Lazmansa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am quit lucky because of the time differance between South Africa and the USA (FT).I always get to play between 12am and 5am on the micro stakes and the people there are biginners or drunk:D

I will look for a biginner table when playing.All you have to do is have some patiance and you will cash.

Good luck

Lazmansa:D

C

chewie49

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
O.k. Guys. Here I go:

I followed your advice. Thanks to you guys I think I am now raising better amounts. I really appreciate your advice, and I think I really got a little better.

BUT

here it is what happened (and this is a typical scenario):

To make looong stories short (and these happened ALWAYS in late position or at the Button):

Case 1: I got QK suited. After a few limpers, I raised 6X the Big Blind. I got called by one guy. Flop: K, 7, 3 rainbow. I went ALL IN. I got called. The other guy had A3 off suit . Turn: A, river: 8 .......I LOST

Case 2:
I got JJ. After one small raise and one call, I re-raised 8x the BB, I got called by the 2 guys. Flop: 5, 9, 10 rainbow. I Raised 8x th BB. I got called by one. Turn: 2. I went ALL IN. He called. River: 9. They guy had A9 so he won with triplets. .....I LOST

Case 3: I got As10s. I raised 6x BB. I got called by one. Flop: Ks, Js, 2h. (wow, as close as I have ever got to a Royal Flush!) The other guy raises 2x BB, I re-raised 6x BB. He called. Turn: 8d, he limped in. I went all In. He called. He had Qd2d. River: 5h ......I LOST

That is my typical Weekend.

Is that SO GREAT!!! about weekends to you??

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i enjoy playing at that time especially if im on a roll :D

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
O.k. Guys. Here I go:

I followed your advice. Thanks to you guys I think I am now raising better amounts. I really appreciate your advice, and I think I really got a little better.

BUT

here it is what happened (and this is a typical scenario):

To make looong stories short (and these happened ALWAYS in late position or at the Button):

Case 1: I got QK suited. After a few limpers, I raised 6X the Big Blind. I got called by one guy. Flop: K, 7, 3 rainbow. I went ALL IN. I got called. The other guy had A3 off suit . Turn: A, river: 8 .......I LOST

Case 2:
I got JJ. After one small raise and one call, I re-raised 8x the BB, I got called by the 2 guys. Flop: 5, 9, 10 rainbow. I Raised 8x th BB. I got called by one. Turn: 2. I went ALL IN. He called. River: 9. They guy had A9 so he won with triplets. .....I LOST

Case 3: I got As10s. I raised 6x BB. I got called by one. Flop: Ks, Js, 2h. (wow, as close as I have ever got to a Royal Flush!) The other guy raises 2x BB, I re-raised 6x BB. He called. Turn: 8d, he limped in. I went all In. He called. He had Qd2d. River: 5h ......I LOST

That is my typical Weekend.

Is that SO GREAT!!! about weekends to you??

Ok. Your bet sizing still needs plenty of work. Also you need to post proper HH to get real analysis because in most MTT situations stack sizes matter (sometimes more than your cards).

Hand 1: Not in love with your iso raise preflop unless stacks are really deep (and since you shoved the flop I doubt they were). Short-stacked with a bunch of limper KQs should probably be all-in or fold.

Hand 2: Your post flop bet is again too small. The pot is at least 25BB and you bet 8bb. Think about your postflop bets in terms of fractions of the pot not bbs.

Hand 3: Again it depends on stack sizes but your postflop bet probably should have been all-in because your fold equity is maximized and your actualy equity drops considerably on the turn.

Having said all that, you've choosen to play MTTs where variance is high. Having your all-in bets called by middle or bottom pair is great for you. If you continue to get people to make these bad plays you will prosper eventually.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From what you've described, weekends sound awesome to play.

All those bad moves by others is what makes profit possible. GL in the future on weekends man :top:

Also, your title needs some help. "Newb" = (abbreviation for Newbie/Beginner) is the word you are looking for http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/newb. "Noob" = is slang for someone who thinks they are cool/hip when they are not.

woodwidgeon

woodwidgeon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys!

Are Weekends bad for you?

I mean,....I encounter A LOOT of people calling BIG raises with only A3 off suited or 22, etc.

I have being in sitations where I clearly have the bet hand and the other noobs win on the River (after many raises from my part)

Is it just me or weekends are a nightmare for intermediate/experienced players?
So what else is new, thats the way it is on line :)

G

Goinfordamill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with making your raises high enough to make them pay for their chase. Just watch the board and if there is a possible flush or straight play lightly because you know their gonna chase for it. Don't get married to your cards and think you can bluff them. Donks will call you down with bottom pair all the time.

C

chewie49

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FRESH Story:

1st hand of the tournament - $5 SnG 1table :

SB: Joe 1 (10)

BB: Joe 2 (20)

3rd Player: limps in

4th Player: limps in

5th Player: limps in

6th Player: Folds

7th Player: Folds

8th Player: limps in

9th Player (HERO): Raises to 260 with AK Suited

SB: Folds

BB: Folds

3rd Player: Folds

4th Player: Calls

5th Player: Calls

6th Player: Already Folded

7th Player: Already Folded

8th Player: Folds

Total pot now: $890

FLOP: 8, 9, Q (rainbow)

4th Player: checks

5th Player: raises to 60

9th Player (HERO): Raises to $800

4th Player: Folds

Turn: K

5th Player: Raises $60

9th Player (HERO): ALL IN

River: 2

Hero Loses against 2 Pairs: Kings and Eights (5th player's pocket cards were 8, K)

Again,....TYPICAL scenario....

Last edited:
JLtrooper

JLtrooper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Criticisms:

1. Bet sizing preflop is wrong.

2. Villain leads postflop, with a bet less that 10% of the pot, and you repop 90% of pot with nothing but overs, with 3 players in. He flat calls. This should tell you something.

3. He leads again, you obviously aggro over the top, which is what he wanted, and you await your fate.

4. You lose. My guess is he puts you on AK, and is giving you 2 outs, since 3rd player may have had weak ace.

Tips:

1. Lower stakes ASAP. The people who multitable grind these stakes are very good and have an excellent $/hr.

2. Analyze your own and the villains hands postflop. Bulldozing is not always the best method. Recognize when he leads $60 twice into $890 and $2490 pots respectively.

3. Don't put yourself in a situation where you are pot committed after only seeing a flop.

I'm no expert, and I'm sure others can you much better analysis, but I think you really need to examine your own game and not try and blame it on the play of others.

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Criticisms:

1. Bet sizing preflop is wrong.

2. Villain leads postflop, with a bet less that 10% of the pot, and you repop 90% of pot with nothing but overs, with 3 players in. He flat calls. This should tell you something.

3. He leads again, you obviously aggro over the top, which is what he wanted, and you await your fate.

4. You lose. My guess is he puts you on AK, and is giving you 2 outs, since 3rd player may have had weak ace.

Tips:

1. Lower stakes ASAP. The people who multitable grind these stakes are very good and have an excellent $/hr.

2. Analyze your own and the villains hands postflop. Bulldozing is not always the best method. Recognize when he leads $60 twice into $890 and $2490 pots respectively.

3. Don't put yourself in a situation where you are pot committed after only seeing a flop.

I'm no expert, and I'm sure others can you much better analysis, but I think you really need to examine your own game and not try and blame it on the play of others.

A raise to 120 or 150 preflop looks more sensible than overbetting it to 260 imo.
Reraising with that massive bet on the flop is a terrible play. The flop gave you nothing and I would just call the small raise and see what happens on the turn.
He is also awful though calling the preflop raise to 260 with K8.

C

chewie49

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I appreciate your criticism about my moves and I really appreciate them And PLEASE keep them coming!! I Really appreciate all your advice.

But, we are talking about how players with marginal hands call big raises iwth K8 and even worst hands.

That is what I am talking about.

Again,....please keep coming your advice and criticism because I really appreciate it.

Cheers!

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I appreciate your criticism about my moves and I really appreciate them And PLEASE keep them coming!! I Really appreciate all your advice.

But, we are talking about how players with marginal hands call big raises iwth K8 and even worst hands.

That is what I am talking about.

Again,....please keep coming your advice and criticism because I really appreciate it.

Cheers!

Chewie - these guys won't change (at least most of them) - you'll profit from them over a bigger sample (If you don't blow your stack elsewere :p).

As for the nightmares - I strongly believe that the good and experienced players are the nightmares / nemesis' for those guys - they hate playing regs (and don't even know that they are :D) so it's quite to the contrary.

On a sidenote: I'm experienced and I'm - well - not losing ;) but far from really good.

T

testreet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it that at night is really good to play because of the fact that there is so many tired players just saying f*** it and just decide to go all in with some wacko hand like J5 suited...So I always use the night to my advantage

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it that at night is really good to play because of the fact that there is so many tired players just saying f*** it and just decide to go all in with some wacko hand like J5 suited...So I always use the night to my advantage

True - that's why I get up at 8 am on sundays (I'm +6 ET) - it's the best time to play imo.

TexasPokerStar

TexasPokerStar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
My Online Poker Variance

I do believe the weekends are bad... I have the spread sheets to prove it...

My bankroll always goes up mid-week... from Wednesday to Friday... some times it goes up from Tuesday to Friday...

But when the weekend gets here... I slow down my play because I know i'll be playing unexperienced players who play for luck and not skill... so the chances of them sucking out on you grow exponentially.

so lets say you normally play the $1/$2 games... on the weekend maybe you should drop down to the $0.25/$0.50 so you don't loose too much money against suck outs...

Last night I took a big hit... almost 15% of my bankroll... big hit... and the suckouts were unreal... but it happens... you just have to adapt and over come.

Good Luck at the Tables

T

thejuanupsman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer playing on the weekends so much that my wife knows to only plan things for weekdays. Most of my money is made on the weekend. I mainly play large MTTs though. It may be entirely different for those who play at the cash tables or SNGs.

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would rather play somebody who is a complete fish than i would play a mediocre player....much more profitable and i want to play against somebody unpredictable...who plays hand like 3 9 suited and calls big raises with any face cards...thats where the money is

Saying you'd rather play against someone unpredictable is crazy because opponents who are predictable are waaaay easier to beat because it means you can frequently tell what they are holding and how to proceed in the hand.
Donks rarely are predictable and I personally utterly hate playing against people who just call all my raises with hands like K9 and Q6s.
How do you outplay these players?
Just play like a rock like Dan Harrington, never bluff at anything and only play premium hands?
If Phil Ivey played his usual style against a table of complete donks he would probably get crushed, when all his raises and bluffs get called with any pair.

Bigsmak

Bigsmak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't understand why anyone would not want to play against bad players all the time.

If there are donks out there.. Just tighten up and only bet when you actually have it.

this = easy money!

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If Phil Ivey played his usual style against a table of complete donks he would probably get crushed, when all his raises and bluffs get called with any pair.

Here's the difference...... Phil Ivey is good enough to ADAPT his game to the people he is playing against. Do you really think he would try to bluff a calling station ? Not a chance. He'd wait for the nuts and value bet the crap out of them.

Play the player, not the cards.

nyr11jagr68

nyr11jagr68

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's the difference...... Phil Ivey is good enough to ADAPT his game to the people he is playing against. Do you really think he would try to bluff a calling station ? Not a chance. He'd wait for the nuts and value bet the crap out of them.

Yes exactly the most important thing is to know the players you are playing. When playing against the weekend manics you just have to stay patient and wait for your hand.

mfturq

mfturq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

pretty sure he wouldn't be waiting for the nuts to bet for value....

more like betting for value when he believes he is ahead of the villians range