Term "FISH" in poker, what does it really mean?

S

SlavaUa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fish is a weak poker player that play only trash)) and this is all.

A

Artemus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If a Fish will eventually lose his stack, then wouldn't you want to be sitting at a table full of them? Why would anyone get angry at a player you know you'll eventually send to the slot machines? I think folks get upset when a well disguised bluff gets called, or a strong pre flop hand and play gets beat on the river, and lashing out at a donk or fish makes them feel better.

Also, wouldn't everyone agree that every player, pros included rely on a certain degree of "luck?" I actually prefer to call it "chance," but I've seen tons of pros who could just never get the cards to win. Can't bluff all the time, and understanding every angle, play and percentage will only get you so far when you're getting dealt crap all night.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fish is uncompetent player or
gambler and not poker player

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fish is the guy that makes non-sense and wrong moves, that plays without knowing a minimum of poker theory.

G

guch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call someone fish when they decide to get in pre w suited con i mean they decide to call it off or some king rag.And some who fishes they top pair or gutter all streets all day always.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We're all various size fishes...we start as tadpoles and evolve into sharks as we learn....I'm probably a stickleback by now..just wondering at what point do you stop being a fish?..If ya can't tell, does that mean you are one?... :)

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally a "fish" is a weak player at that level.

You could be a fish at 1000nl but a shark at 50nl.

R

R_dj

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Fish means someone that plays every hand They get

Hi guys, in this thread I wanna discuss about "fish", what does it exactly mean?
If "fish" means someone who played with bad starting hand, then I saw some poker called "pros" also did such thing.
If fish means someone who got lucky while others have more percentage, then tell me poker player who never got lucky in his entire life.
when I played online poker, there are many words such "lol fish", but If term fish represents above meaning, then most of poker players are "fish"
tell me ur opinion!

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for my fish are those recreational players only play for fun , many hands and any letter , of which we have to get the best benefit for us

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whats a fuglyfish?Does it try to hang on to a sharks side for a free ride as the shark swims the sea in search of food a hoping for left overs what the shark don't eat?I think so.

S

Sometimesimafish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fish varies

The term fish can either be
a) A player who plays every hand, no matter how good they are, in the hope of getting lucky.
b) An insult or excuse for a player losing to a player who is apparently luckier than them. I've played games where I had 20 hands on the trot where every hand was a blinder, does that make me a fish?, then I bluffed the next 10 hands because the supposedly 'good' players where too scared to call me by that time.
c) An insult aimed at a player to try and put another player off their game, or to try and make them change their strategy for the worse.
If you find yourself calling me a fish then I've got you where I want you.

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
(Fish): It's the name given to bad players, the ones you like to have on the table
But often the fish wins, and then we get angry

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Traditionally a fish is a loose and very passive player who plays almost the entire range of starting hands. No matter if they hold 72 or AA they will just limp or open limp and they will call down every bet , no matter if they have zero equity!

You can tell that a ''fish'' holds the absolute nuts by betting very strong or open raise more than 3x.

The good think is that you can extract value by such players by betting strong your strong hands!!

vitalii029

vitalii029

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in online poker and there are many lucky with a bad hand the example of how 2 7 often such people but as practice shows in online poker is very common and there's nothing you can do about it

A

ats272

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If a player plays this card as 72,that does not mean that he is a fish.You always play only with premium cards?I hope, you will agree with me,that sometimes you have to play such hands.All depends on the situation at the table.And if someone calls me a fish, i'll just smile.Poker is not only aces and kings.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, that just simply means that this player is just a bad poker player or just the beginner in the game.

smpolak

smpolak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A Fish is someone who is not playing with the intent to win. They can be drunk, they can be just at the tables for a night out. As opposed to a regular player that knows the game.

C

CHAVIKI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't know

I didn't know what this term meant, I try to play good poker, looking for my best odds to gin a hand, but sometime I've risked with a hunch, and i've been called a fish, I don't agrre that if you win some hands agains the odds you are a fish, sometimes it yust happens.

mk0523

mk0523

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It means you float too much to the river :p

Dmytro Lysyuk

Dmytro Lysyuk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fish is usually a bad player. He plays a lot of hands and relies on luck only.

B

Bone23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Look around your table and if you can't find the fish it's probably you!:)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If someone plays a hand when he has good combination BUT the other player has much better and this MIGHT be obvious from the acts of the other player like big raises, which do not alert our 'fish'. Of course this is subjective, because in poker many things can change till river.