Tell me. when this happens does it affect your play?

POKERRANSOM

POKERRANSOM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so your in a tournament and you keep getting crap cards and folding but cant help but noticed that you would of hit some monster flop but the positioning and bet amount just kept you from calling does that do something mentallly to where you start calling hands in situation you never would?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I always try to play with strong cards. That is, I have a range of hands with which I can play and only this range and my position at the table affects this decision.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once the hand is folded, it is out of mind for me. No what ifs or why did not play it. Move on to what you can control.

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If my hands doesn't have enough equity and pot odds are not profitable + my position and image of players at the table is specific I rare call. If I do it, I have a plan for the next streets. Often when I play I see situation when I fol f.e. 59o and flop is 678, is it a reason to be angry? of course not, we can't play every hand. It just happen.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, that does not affect me. I come up with an appropriate range based on the current situation and I stick with it or change it as needed. Just because you would have hit a strong flop doesn't mean a whole lot. They are still junk cards and you will often see that by the river your hand would have lost to a stronger one anyway. Don't let it make you start playing junk. The odds won't be in your favor.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It definitely does affect how I play. I usually don't like to look at the flop if I fold because I don't want to see what "could have been" because typically it just angers and frustrates me. Sadly, this does make me go a little wild at times.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so your in a tournament and you keep getting crap cards and folding but cant help but noticed that you would of hit some monster flop but the positioning and bet amount just kept you from calling does that do something mentallly to where you start calling hands in situation you never would?

Do you know numbers?
1. 2. 3..... 9. 0.???
if you do...
then, do you have the same mental feeling when it's not you, but somebody else wins millions in the jackpot lottery by typing correct numbers in the lottery ticket?

Q

Queev14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not able to switch off feelings. But you should try not to tilt because of that. If you fold because it would be a bad call you should be fine with your fold

U

Ultfrozen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play only with good maps is not a bad strategy, but if at the table there is observant players the many with them you not atoning, so sometimes Nada see the and with average hands and to do 3 bet counting on reputation that you created at the table

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I retire from a hand it is already a past history !, Many times it has happened to me that I have a trash hand and the flop favors that hand but I have already retired ... that's poker, but only play with a reasonable range of hands

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh that hits home, happens to me all the time and yes sometimes if that is the way the cards falling I will call when I should not. It has worked a few times. I think the smart player in a tournamnet waits for the right moment or in a cash games leaves. Why risk your money in a cash game. In a tournament you are trying to stay alive and the blinds will kill you if you do not take drastic action.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I try not to think about the cards that I've folded being a monster hand because I think it can affect your play. You got to let the pervious hand go, you folded it for a reason.

J

jenia stars

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
with the crappy cards it is necessary to go VA-Bank,such as 22 or 44

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can definitely get to you. Sometimes you start to think about making pro plays. But I need to keep reminding myself to play at the level I am comfortable. If I try and play a game I am not trained for, then I likely lose all the same. Sometimes the cards come. Other times they do not.

M

Muckutoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is best for your mentality to remember that this can go both ways. Don’t let it frustrate you when you fold rags that would have won you a pot. There will be times that if you had played those rags, you would’ve flopped big, but ultimately lost all your chips to a better hand

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There are two key things to remind yourself;

1) 10/10 your raggy off-suit hole cards were behind when you folded. [emoji1303]

2) If you played the same holding in the same position against these stronger hands 100 times then, although perhaps a few times it might flop a boat, two pair or river a straight or flush, the other 90-odd times it would lose and across the 100 hands as a total, we would be down. ✔️

evildoesit2003

evildoesit2003

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find they only hit when you fold them it seems that way anyhow, doesnt really affect me that much I just play my game.

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
all the cards we fold. If we knew what was coming, we'd all be rich.This game.It should be easier to treat the game

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is something that happens to everybody. Of course it is not pleasant and if it happens3 or more times combined with bad cards for you all the time it can easily tilt you. You should keep in mind though that taking correct decision is most important in a long run because you can hit one or 2 times out of 10 with bad cards but you will loose most of the time. when you are playing really deep stack (40BB or more) you can afford to try such hands like low pairs, suited connectors or sequential cards to try to hit monster sometimes.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to agree it’s really frustrating when this happens. I try not to allow it to affect my hands that follow.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Try analyzing what the players still in the hand are doing, take some notes on them, or just scratch yourself & hope the rash will go away afore the wife notices it, ie. do something productive that will help you become a better player. After all that rash doesn't clear up you may need the extra income for alimony.

vuk011

vuk011

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This happens very often but does not affect my game. I listen to music and I try to exclude all emotions from a hand where I do not participate.

B

berryryan2488

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I first started and that would happen I would get a little annoyed, now I just look at my hands as an investment and that if played that hand in that particular situation, there is no way that it would pay off in the long run. In a tournament, however, I do like to play position and when the opportunity presents itself and everyone folds while I'm dealer/late, I'll go ahead and raise with a garbage hand just to test the blinds.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No

If I know, I made the right fold, it does not bother me, what I would have hit. We obviously can not base our decisions in poker on predicting, which cards are to come. In similar fashion if I know, my decision to call, bet or raise was correct, I at least try to not let it bother me, if I end up losing the pot.

12 BB stack in a tournament, looking down at QQ, all in preflop, someone behind wake up with KK and bust me out of the tournament. Sucks to be me, but no big deal, move on and play another tournament. The mental part of winning poker is all about focusing on our decision making process and the long term rather than short term variance and board runouts.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This happened to me so much I've opened my play up so wide this rarely happens to me so no, yeah, it used to affect my game.

Poker Tells