SUNGLASSES IN POKER: Maybe douchey, but cheating?

What do you think of sunglasses in live poker?

• Total voters
Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
*sigh*

Is there any way we can edit the OP and include the video link so people who don't read the whole thread can see what we're actually talking about?
Nope. My thread and I didn't intend it to be about card marking and trick sunglasses.

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nope. My thread and I didn't intend it to be about card marking and trick sunglasses.

Maybe not, but card marking and trick sunglasses were what Negreanu was talking about and it's his comments you've cited in your OP.

The fact that Roy Winston, along with 99.5% of the respondents to this thread, missed the point is amusing though :p

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe not, but card marking and trick sunglasses were what Negreanu was talking about and it's his comments you've cited in your OP.

The fact that Roy Winston, along with 99.5% of the respondents to this thread, missed the point is amusing though :p
Hmmm. In Daniel's FCP blog post on May 5th, he only mention's the word "cheating" once. The rest is about being "chicken", etc., etc.

http://fullcontactpoker.com/poker-j...wfull&id=1273044738&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

Then in Daniel's FCP blog post on May 9th, he only mentions "marked cards" twice. The rest is a big whine about "hiding their eyes" and comparisons to action sports (which poker is not).

http://fullcontactpoker.com/poker-j...wfull&id=1273393984&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

Next blog post: A couple sentences exageratively lumping sunglasses in with gloves, scarves, hoodies, etc.

http://fullcontactpoker.com/poker-j...wfull&id=1274132946&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

And that's all I could find so far.

Seems it's just a hangup or peeve that Daniel has and he's just playing the "Oh yeah and BTW, you can see marked cards with sunglasses too" angle. To me, his harping on this is just as much as an "angle shot" as someone wearing sunglasses. He needs to quit whining and play poker.

Is it just me or has Daniel NOT won much lately so he has to pick something to whine about to let off steam? I've seen him get creamed pretty badly on HSP a few times, so now he comes up with this new show where HE gets to make up the rules. How convenient. :cool: :cool:

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suppose he's talking about a few different things there but I thought it was pretty clear from that first blog link you've posted that cheating is just one of the problems he's got with sunglasses at the table.

Players being chickens or looking bad on television are problems that he seems to have in his self-appointed role as a guardian of What's Good For Poker, Especially TV Poker, but as far as actual cheating goes my understanding was that he was always talking about daubing, filters and card marking.

Of course there's also the possibility that it was just a rant designed to tilt Mike Matusow on High Stakes Poker and since it wound up being aired he's had to backpedal a bunch and try to justify himself :p

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know what it is, but there must really be something wrong with these lights.

N

nickwins07

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
jaggibson i love that you would wear a big bag on your head if you play in a wsop... that just cracks me up, imagining watchin tv and seein a man at the table with a brown paper bag over his head to cover up his tells... but concerning the sunglasses issue, i believe that sunglasses are not in anyway cheating, and if you want to wear them you can. I personally dont were sunglasses but sometimes i will just for the heck of it, but i have to watch myslef when i do wear them so i dont play with them and give away a tell. I either leave them on or off, none of this i put them on when i have a hand crap, at least not for me

Lafayette2

Lafayette2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was listening to a 2plus2 podcast and they were talking about a tournment in Europe that had new technology, where the cards were embeded with electronic chips and no table cameras were used. A computer read each card and after 15 minute delay whole cards were shown to the railers so everyone could see what was played. I wonder iff you had the proper glasses could you see the whole cards of the other players. Only in that case whould i ban sunglasses. Not being able to see someones eyes isnt cheating.

17Fabrizio17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Listening to music can also be an issue

Listening to music at the poker table is another bad habit that people are doing too often. This is even worse than wearing sunglasses. People who listen to music at the poker table usually slow down the game. When someone bets or raises, they sometimes don't hear it and ask how much the raise or bet is.

LombardiStix

LombardiStix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another reason...
I remember someone saying well if they outlaw shades what about Phil Laak with his sweatshirt that covers him all up.

Well Phil got mixed up with Gus in a hand on PAD Cash game and put his "shield" up. After the hand was completed Doyle started in on how when Phil hides his face in his sweatshirt it is really BS. That it should be illegal.

Why would he say this?

Because it ruins the game. It is an advantage that goes against the spirit of the game. Live poker is not the same as online poker. They SHOULD be different. When you stop thinking of poker as a card game and think of it as a people game it seems clear to me that hiding shouldn't be allowed.

For me... this is extended to tinted glasses etc. While I understand you could agree on the rest and still think sunglasses are ok. The players have a lot of power in this game and if we came together and said "this is bad for the game" you can change perceptions.

Stix

greywind50

greywind50

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sunglasses are part of the game. Wear them or not..... no problem!