SUNGLASSES IN POKER: Maybe douchey, but cheating?

What do you think of sunglasses in live poker?

• Total voters
Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Hard to say - if the marks they were making really were invisible to anyone who wasn't wearing the glasses and the people doing it were halfway competent then I expect it wouldn't be that hard to get it past the dealer. We've only got one set of eyes, after all, and most of the time we'll be looking where the current action is.

Plus I'd assumed that if anyone was doing this during a live game they'd be more likely to do something like touch their finger on an ink source in their pocket then smudge it onto the card with their fingertip rather than using a pen, so the action could look 100% innocent.

Or maybe they could have it on the underside of their card protector? I dunno, 99.9% of the card marking problems we get in the games I deal (and the problems are rare to start with) are with unintentional bending because for the most part I deal to n00bs :p
I agree with you on ppl possibly dabbing something on a few cards but they wouldn't be able to mark the whole deck and then be able to tell exactly what each cards is.

Bending of cards or somehow creasing a few cards is what I have come accross, I think ppl that are caught doing this should be taken out back of the venue and persuaded in a special way not to come back.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Nothing will ever beat what Phil Laak did at the table at the wsop ME in... 2008, I think it was. Not douchey... but I just thought it was appropriate here.. lol.

phil-laak-disguise.jpg

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
happy to see OP was on right side after reading title :) lookin good stick :)

I don't understand how it could even be a question that wearing sunglasses is cheating. Of course it's not.

His argument is totally irrational, and although I respect him greatly, it's really not even worth reading.

Wearing sunglasses being cheating is one of the dumbest things i've heard in my life

I normally agree with a lot of what Daniel says, however this is the most insane thing he has ever brought up. It makes no sense!

very true all :) I don't worry about my eyes being a tell but probably have many others . lol at what stakes are ok and low stakes are not , $50 to some can be more valuable than a rich f*** feels about a $1000 . but I understand the point :)

I am completely against sunglasses in live poker venues. I think they should be against the rules along with anything else that hides your face while you play. I think it is bad for the game. As poker has become more "mainstream" it will change. Just as all games/sports do as they grow. Rules are made along the way to keep them competitive and sporting. IMO live poker is differentiated from OL poker in a few ways, but one of the main ways is the ability to read your opponent face to face. If we take out this facet of live poker we might as well just play online from home. I want them to be different because they ARE different. I see I'm in the minority, but even if you disagree I hope you can at least see the merit in a sunglasses free game.

Stix

yea and they should be forced to answer questions too , I like to hear their voice and it's cheating to hide it :p sorry I see no merit except possible cheating :)

indoors they make you look like someone that wants to look like the pro's but without the skill.

:eek: don't be such a hater . I resent that remark as a look-alike pro with no skill . and for the record thats the only time I ever wear them :p

Last edited:
T

Toor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did someone really just say card rooms are bright? Where do you play?

I think sunglasses are funny. Especially because most of the people that I find wearing them are rather fishy. When the kids sit down and puts his sunglasses on and then ear phones in I think it sends the message that you are a defensive player and are scared. It almost screams low confidence.

With that said, I dont think its cheating.

I've played live just once but the psychological effect of my sunglasses and my black hat seemed to intimidate players. The dealer set the tone nicknaming me Chris Ferguson ;) I made it to the last few at the final table without ever getting a hand purely based on image.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Must have been a small tourney.

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although I'm an avid Oakley fan, I prefer to wear them only outside. @ the poker table I pass on wearing sunglasses as I tend to have to squint as it is to see the board. As indicated by OzExorcist, Daniel does have a valid point that sunglasses could possibly be used as a cheating-type device...if anyone ever happens to go to Barona Valley Ranch in San Diego, they have a historical display of the various devices peeps have used to cheat @ cards (not just specific to poker but other card games as well & some are so freaking obvious one experiences a 'you gotta be kidding me' moment). As far as tells, I look more towards body language than for facial clues. For me, having sunglasses would probably be a tell...I would be inconsistent about putting them on or taking them off...LOL.

T

Toor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Must have been a small tourney.

Not that big, no. Unfortunately we don't see many big tournaments here. Still, I'm a situational player. Being card dead brings out the best in me. Anyway, my point is that the disguise made it harder for players to form an image of me. I appeared to play very tight, folded or raised, didn't participate in table chatter and almost never had to show a hand. Still, there were some dead giveaways that I was new to live play: Trembling hands and unintentionally bending the cards when looking at them. I just think the appearance confused them and masquaraded my live poker noobishness to a great extent.

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Sunglasses indoors period is kinda douchey. One exception...If I'm ever wearing sunglasses at a poker table, chances are I just got baked out back and my eyes look like they are bleeding.

5766jerome

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How is there anything wrong with wearing sunglasses in poker? I wear them a lot while I play and when other people wear them, I don't think that their cheating.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How is there anything wrong with wearing sunglasses in poker? I wear them a lot while I play and when other people wear them, I don't think that their cheating.

Check out the video a 20 or so posts back, Negreanu was referring specifically to the potential for people to mark cards with inks that can only be seen through tinted glasses.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I saw the video last night... astonishing. They would definitely have to be filtered with a special lens correct?

et1961

et1961

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sunglasses ok

In my opinion wearing sunglasses is not cheating. Many tells can be seen through a players eyes, and disguising those tells is just a part of poker. Every player does whatever they can to hide their tells.

Sunglasses personally don't bother me at the table as I have learned to loook for other tells. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. I have a BA in social services and sociology and have done a considerable amount of studies in kinetics-the study of body language and movement. The body can give many other tells other than through the eyes. The better poker players(myself excluded) learn how to mask many of these tells.

N

Neoblast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hum I think the player using sunglasses get some advantage but since it is permitted everyone can use them so... I don't see that as cheating.
I never used them yet though..

C

cheddachris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wearing shades is nowhere close to being considered cheating in my book, it has almost become part of the game these "poker shades" strange hats and goodluck charms players bring to the table, people have been rockin' the poker shades for quite sometime now

NCfoldem

NCfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wearing sunglasses is perfectly legal, but should be banned. Reading your opponent is one of the most (THE most?) important aspects of the game - everyone should wear sunglasses or no one should. Everyone would look ridiculous, so I vote for no one wearing them.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think people should read the OP and follow up discussion before posting in a thread. You all are missing what we are ACTUALLY talking about. It's not the shades it's the potential to cheat by marking cards with an invisible ink that you can only see through special lenses.

bolda3

bolda3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was really torn between the last 2 choices -lol-but I really am not affected by sunglasses in live poker. I do think its a bit "tooly" for the "i'm so good you can't read me and my cool sunglass" kinda people, but sunglasses can't cover nervousness or discomfort.:party:

jh1spartanfan

jh1spartanfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wearing sunglasses is perfectly legal, but should be banned. Reading your opponent is one of the most (THE most?) important aspects of the game - everyone should wear sunglasses or no one should. Everyone would look ridiculous, so I vote for no one wearing them.

Everyone CAN wear them, but some people just choose not to. Yes, you get an advantage by wearing them, but it's not an unfair advantage because everyone can use them.

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did someone really just say card rooms are bright? Where do you play?

I think sunglasses are funny. Especially because most of the people that I find wearing them are rather fishy. When the kids sit down and puts his sunglasses on and then ear phones in I think it sends the message that you are a defensive player and are scared. It almost screams low confidence.

With that said, I dont think its cheating.

You're the exact reason why I do wear sunglasses at the table sometimes. It's fun when someone assumes you are some fishy douche just because you are wearing sunglasses. Even more fun when I'm stacking your chips too.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're the exact reason why I do wear sunglasses at the table sometimes. It's fun when someone assumes you are some fishy douche just because you are wearing sunglasses. Even more fun when I'm stacking your chips too.
+1

I even like to accent my sunglasses with a funky fedora and sometimes even a touristy loud Hawaiian shirt. :cool: :cool: :icon_geek :icon_geek

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
:eek: don't be such a hater . I resent that remark as a look-alike pro with no skill . and for the record thats the only time I ever wear them :p
I'm trying to not be a hater, but when I see kids fidgeting whith their sunglasses instead of playing when it is their turn, it is hard not to be a hater. :p
In b4 Bazerk!

lol

rounder22

rounder22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a non issue to me its all about preference here.