Spouse upset of you playing poker?

Fieldsy

Fieldsy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I am a lucky one who has a wife that doesn't mind. I only play live games and its maybe twice a month so its not taking up a ton of my time.

Balyev

Balyev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it is better to divorce)) I am divorced, and life is better and results. And what I want to sleep with.

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just balancing my time with my wife andy playing poker.She would understand me.

T

Talbot1975

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wifey

She should be more understanding. Is there something she does, that you don't like? If so, exploit that....

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
She should be more understanding. Is there something she does, that you don't like? If so, exploit that....

What a wonderful relationship that would be.

My girlfriend does not mind poker, atleast as I am not wasting a ton of money.

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try and exploit her weaknesses if you can make a +EV situation from contributing in another area... your onto a winner . lol

O

OMGjustinBIEBS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My old man hates it when I play. I'm gonna have to move out and get my own apartment soon.

long_bong

long_bong

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my gf hates it, but she understands that I used to make a fulltime living off online poker. So now that I only play part time or as a hobby, shes kinda better about it. but she still bitches everytime i play or grind like no tomorrow LMAO <

Fieldsy

Fieldsy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your gf hates it, make up for it in other ways. Treat her to extra dinners, foot rubs, days that are about her. I am telling ya....foot rubs she dies and you can do whatever you want lol

B

blueduck88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm lucky that my GF goes to bed early and I play at that time. As for the money, I don't bother telling her about it anymore. When I won she would say good job. If i lost, she would ask why i didn't stop early. Gets rather annoying after a while.

Fieldsy

Fieldsy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm lucky that my GF goes to bed early and I play at that time. As for the money, I don't bother telling her about it anymore. When I won she would say good job. If i lost, she would ask why i didn't stop early. Gets rather annoying after a while.

That is the worst. "You should of stopped at so and so time."

Well honey, maybe you are right, but what about the times I won hundreds extras from spending maybe 1-2 extra hours at the table.

J

JFKblownaway

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good thread here, been in same situation as op, but I try to keep good balance and not be playing all day, I think I fall into if it makes me happy I'm gonna do it, I have a 4 year old and a 50 hour week job so between the wife, my son, my job, finding time is hard but if your whole life is spent pleasing others and not yourself then that's not fair to you. Do what you enjoy but also have some limits on time management.

B

bigd777

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its simple, if im bringing home money or material items shes happy but if I dont bring shit then shes mad ;)

P

pgzn

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had (HAD) a GF that was. She would suddenly want me to run somewhere in the middle of the tournament, then get mad when I'd say, sorry, can't. In middle of a tournament. Got rid of her to solve the problem.

Last edited:
Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dakota said it best. it's about balance. it's better to strike an agreement that the spouse can live with...if they'll be ok with you playing 4 hours a week that is much better for both of you than if you try and play 15 hours a week and you both give eachother the stink eye about it. If your spouse wants you to play 0 hours a week, you have to figure out what is up? are they just a joyless bloodsucking force in your life, or is gambling just a deal breaker for them but they are an otherwise wonderful spouse?

My husband doesn't particularly love my poker play, but I limit it to about 4-8 hours per week and I work full time while he stays at home with the child..so it is my "release" time. I use an analogy....a lot of people spend time watching TV, playing golf, doing fantasy football, a lot of wives spend time and money shopping.....heh! Shopping!? Why would I spend $400 on a purse when I could take a shot at a big tourney with a $20,000 first place prize?

what makes it sweeter is whenever I win I give him a big chunk. usually at a third....he can spend it however. and he likes it because whenever he wants to do his thing, go out with the guys or go to a swapmeet or something I don't give him any grief.

I think any successful relationship has a balance of individual interests and quality time spent together.

zegaum

zegaum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
eheheh

eb8733210828b4a333d867d7c7819a07_large.png

kkkk, very nice!!!!

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great question...........this have been the cost of most of my breakups.... I cant seem to find a girl that understands/accepts my passion for poker. They all say its gambling and gambling is for losers.... lol

J

jgenest3798

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I first started playing online - she definitely didn't like it, primarily because she didn't understand it. Family first, work second, poker third. As long as I maintain my focus on the first two, she has no problem with the poker. She also gets at least 75% of any withdrawals and it has financed some trips, bdays, etc

Sometimes she actually asks me if I think maybe I should be playing more lol

F

FAOMaalik

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No convincing my wife that this isn't a degenerate pastime. She hates the poker and sees it as a waste of money, nvm that I only deposited once back in 2005. I play when she plays wow so we each have our thing.

Short answer. Introduce her to world of Warcraft

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the spam is real, mods deal with it please!

S

Sortuto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well man, handling a wife who is too negative about the practice of poker can be difficult, but never impossible.

I believe the most important thing here is: What really do you expect from playing poker? Is it a hobbie for you or do you have any intents of playing it professionally?

To start from here, if you just want to play for a hobbie, you should not be really fighting with your wife, just play when you have time to do so and she is elsewhere.

But if you really want to improve your game and make it your main money income, than not all hope is lost. I have decided to dive into the pokerworld recently and my wife didnt take it very well too, in the beggining she was very irritated when I was playing rather than staying with her, and she was constantly doubting about I been capable of making money with Poker. By went by and we kept fighting for the same reason, until one day i decided I would have to take a stand if I really wanted to make Poker a Profession.

That's when I took her out and we discussed it over dinner. I told her that despite what she thinks not only is possible to beat Poker as there are thousends of people making money out of it and that this is what I really wanted to do for a life. Then I explained for her that nothing comes down from heaven and in order for me to be able to make money out of it I would have to be studying the game in a daily basis. After a long talk she was convinced that Poker was not just a hobbie for me and that it is serious business.

When I had her convinced (that I was going to take a shot at it, not that I would really make any money out of it cause she still kept skeptical about it) I made a week schedule with several hours dedicated for playing and studying.

Today she takes it like if I was studying for any other profession and even supports me to get my game better, even though she still gets a little upset when I'm playing out of the scheduled times.

Anyway try to be clear about what you really expect from Poker and put it in a balance against what you are willing to go through with your wife to get it done.

Good luck man. :D

J

Jay65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you sure the issue is really about poker?

It's a great scapegoat for many other problems. On both sides of the relationship.

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing poker as a hobby works in my relationship. My husband doesn't play poker, but he does a lot of other gaming. I can just sit next to him on my laptop playing, we are technically spending time together, and there is no fight over the tv. If I think we might have errands to run or something I need to help him with, I don't sign up for a tourney that I can't walk away from, or I play cash. If there is something I really want to play in, I double check with him before I start it.

From a woman's perspective, playing in the same room as your significant other really helps because you are still spending time together. And showing some consideration by making sure nothing is going on BEFORE you start playing will help too.

I don't have kids yet, so I don't know how that affects poker time.

easypickns

easypickns

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My wife does not like it, so I play when she is not around. If mama ain't happy aint nobody happy.:fight: :adore: