Show or Muck

Mordecoke

Mordecoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never show my hands. I always keep auto muck online and in live poker settings I always fold as well. I will just say what I have in live poker settings but it's always a lie anyway. ;)

You can never trust a poker player.

S

somersetlad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i muck 99% inless there is a player specific reason

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So this thread is basically just to see what everyone else thinks about showing your cards after a hand if everyone else folds out. Generally, I never show my cards at all regardless of what type of game I'm in or what stage it is at. I think keeping that mystery about yourself whether or not you were bluffing or not can be a good thing with other players around the table not knowing your style of of play. However recently I've started to think about showing them every now and then whether I was bluffing or betting big for good reason to try and get in my opponents head a bit more: maybe showing a bluff so that next time you bet in a similar way they might think you are bluffing more and be more reliant to call. Or showing your good hand so that perhaps you can bluff easier the next time around. I'm not talking about showing all the time, but maybe every once in a while to try and get in my opponent's head. What do you guys think about this?

I think the cards shouldnt be shown. So I never do it since it gives info about the gameplay. Tho I know some ppl like showing bluffs to get more calls when they have a monster...or sometimes bluffy players show them when they accidentally have something. I think it doesnt work against good players anyway. :)

T

terryg642

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a lot of this depends on what you play poker for if your a serious poker player ,you should never show your cards ,keep them guessing ,but if you play for fun like I do ,I show my cards to let them know they made a good fold,kind of put myself in there situation.

RichL

RichL

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never show and shout at the screen when other people keep doing it. It annoys me, though I can't really explain why :)

The show that perplexes me the most is when the button or small blind raises the big blind, and the big blind folds then shows !! What is that all about ?

trekmaster

trekmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I very rarely show my cards.When I do it is usually at the final table and only to invoke a reaction to what I'm showing from a player I notice playing a certain way. Weather it be a bluff or the nuts I'm showing I only do it to get into the oppositions head.

A

auntyvirus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
muck or show

I will usually never show my cards. Not even to the guys I play regularly with at the house. You never know when you will end up against them in a tourney. No info is best in my book.

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
showing does expose your game but showing your play has benefits also maybe to tilt a selected player that you know will dump there stack once on tilt. but the most part i dont show cause like PapaC i play with my muck button clicked so not waist time in that game especially when playing multi tables.

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to show after folding with a descent hand. I usually muck otherwise.

BigSlickBaby

BigSlickBaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show. I always have automuck ticked on and I never purposely show a bluff or anything else regardless of the situation.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For most part I will muck. However showing a hand or two will buy you a pot down the road. When first started never showed, didn't want to give any information away. Found later it was much easier to steal a pot with a few shows that it was to always muck. It is discretionary and you have to acknowledge table image.

F

fernandinhoribeiro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can show when you are balancing your range and you want to induce certain action.

Jull30

Jull30

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes show the card at the end of the game ... for the purpose of showing that I'm honestly .. it plays into the hands of the case when you need to bluff .

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the situation.
sometimes when it gets folded around to my BB I will show.
Few places I will show the nuts or a bluff.

E

extreme911

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never give any extra information to your opponents!

BigSlickBaby

BigSlickBaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you guys do on networks where there is no "show cards" option - Just untick "auto muck" quickly right when the hand ends to show villain your cards?

J

JLuv81

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm an advocate for not showing, however, the only time I find it acceptable is when you are leaps and bounds a better player than the table. Its not profitable to give thinking players an insight to your range/thinking

Crash0veride

Crash0veride

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I normally never show unless I'm at a play money game and just having fun. My roommate likes to show every once and a while he says showing a few bluffs then playing tight can trick people into thinking your bluffing a lot and possibly get them to call a non bluff bet same goes for playing tight scaring them with every good hand then starting to play a bit looser. For me tho I always have auto muck on keeps them thinking lol.

Crash0veride

Crash0veride

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never give any extra information to your opponents!

but if you do make it false info. Say you never ever bluff and always play very tight, try bluffing once and show it, then go back to playing tight might help you to get a few more calls when you make a strong hand. Ive never tested it, but my roommate likes to play tricky like that works well for him.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but if you do make it false info. Say you never ever bluff and always play very tight, try bluffing once and show it, then go back to playing tight might help you to get a few more calls when you make a strong hand. Ive never tested it, but my roommate likes to play tricky like that works well for him.
In theory that's all well and good, BUT (and this is especially true in tournaments) at some point your window to play tight closes, maybe even after just one or two hands gone awry. Then there you are - needing a bluff in your arsenal to stay in the game but everyone at the table now knows you are very capable of the bluff and will not respect your bet when you need them to. I'm not a "Never-Ever Show" guy - but I would never-ever show a bluff (unless I wanted to humiliate a player who got under my skin). I am more likely to tell someone what I had than show them, though.

RaizeR1205

RaizeR1205

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It just depends. If the guy is a bully, and I bluff him, then I'll definitely show!

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never show IMHO......

C

CSINSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show my cards, like most, but I haven't played with real money yet so it feels pointless to try to play my opponents since they might not be paying much attention or playing multiple tables. I don't know how different or focused real money players are but, it has to be more intense than with play money.
I try to play to the mantra of "Play well regardless of the stakes", however a lot of people don't follow it. Even if I'm playing a freeroll I try to play well. I can guarantee that if people make mistakes in freerolls they will make the same exact mistakes in real money games. So if I was to offer some advice I would say use freerolls as your learning curve to become a better player, BUT don't play less than optimally because it is lower stakes.

Good advice. I think if U show a bluff then ONLY show a bluff a minimal amount of times. I've heard the reasoning of NEVER showing is to always keep your opponents guessing, but if U show a bluff once in a great while that will force your opponent to think more about what U have. Also I like to show one card especially if I have the ace of spades if 3 spades are on board. On Carbon I know you can show one card, but I'm not aware if other sites allow ONLY one card to be shown.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

paulox732

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Muck and Show

YOu can play with these tools, and let lost the oponents