Should Slow Rolls Be Penalized?

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

near the bubble , or a pay jump , sometimes i stall with a big pocket pair before an allin call pre flop in a MTT . you have a time clock and can use it however you please . is that slowrolling too ? 20 or 30 seconds may see several players bust out and get you extra cash before you commit .

shim36

shim36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it should be banned because many people find it offensive.

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the punishment is not necessary for such players

cdntyler87

cdntyler87

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You can’t jut ban something because it’s not liked that just the millennial way of thinking

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bad connection is bad connection that happens rarely

and i was actually talking more about real life poker (but online too)

it is horrible poker etiquette to slowroll someone . they deserve a punch in their face in my opinion

hard to judge really right and wrong seems all relative at times. my personal thought on it is i dont take it personal...

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If you start penalising for things like that then nobody would bother playing at all, it’s just part of the game, don’t take it personally ��

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
near the bubble , or a pay jump , sometimes i stall with a big pocket pair before an allin call pre flop in a MTT . you have a time clock and can use it however you please . is that slowrolling too ? 20 or 30 seconds may see several players bust out and get you extra cash before you commit .

This is a valid play in my book. I don't care if people will hate me for using my timebank before risking my tournament survival. The timebank is a weapon that can [and should] be used in such situations.

I wouldn't consider any preflop situation as a slow roll, unless the stack of the caller is at no risk from the all-in bet, or it's not a tournament. The best preflop hand can lose to any other hand after the community cards are dealt. The right move according to the ICM might be to fold AA preflop.

The slow roll usually happens when the slow caller is certain of winning. This means they have the nuts and no more cards are going to be dealt, or they'd win or tie regardless of the upcoming cards (freerolling). It's not a good play to fold the current nuts if you are afraid of 1-4 outs, so many people might count a slow call in this situation as a slow roll too.

What if the alleged slow roller was too dumb to realize the strength of their hand and they genuinely considered folding? Should we penalize such players too <;

pribalt49

pribalt49

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, there is no way to punish such players, this is not included in the rules of poker, or in your abilities as a player at the table and the admins will not deal with this, just play and do not pay attention to it.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been caught out by slow roll a few times but as for banning them it is a ludicrous sugestion,you can play any way you want.:):):)

M

Mahereid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sucks but I don't think it is illegal to slow roll. However, If you penalize it you're making it illegal so no one will ever do it again.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I personally dont think banning or punishing the slow roller would be a good idea. They could have a internet issue or multi tabling ect going on. The one thing I will say its really not a class act to do on purpose or even better taunt that other player while doing it.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone can play as they wish as long it not interfere with other players rights

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Part of the game my friend. We can't do anything about it

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
When we are giving our opinion about the slow roll here, I think we should indicate whether we are talking about live/online/cash/tournament, because the difference is big.

It sucks but I don't think it is illegal to slow roll. However, If you penalize it you're making it illegal so no one will ever do it again.
You didn't understand the question. We know it's not illegal. The question is—should it be penalized (i.e., should it be made illegal)?

First of all, there is no way to punish such players
Part of the game my friend. We can't do anything about it
This is wrong, because there aren't just ways to punish it, but there are also ways to prevent it from happening in the first place. For example, in online poker, when you are last to act and you hold the nuts at the river, the server may call for you instantly. I find this a better solution compared to a penalty, because it would be next to impossible to determine whether an online slow roll is legit or not. You don't even need to be multitabling in order to be distracted. While I am playing, I often do 2-3 other things in front of the computer. RL distractions are common too.

Even with a way to prevent the online slow roll from happening, is it really such a big issue? The timebanks are rather short online. If you can't wait 1-2 minutes for the other players to make their decisions, perhaps this game isn't suitable for you. I'd prefer to face the occasional slow roll instead of letting the server to make decisions for us.

The one thing I will say its really not a class act to do on purpose or even better taunt that other player while doing it.

I don't understand this. What gives the slow roller a justification to taunt the other player? In my view, the only player that can be taunted is the slow roller, because they are so slow to make such an easy decision... The slow roll can only demonstrate weak poker skills. The snap call (the opposite of a slow roll) would be a better way to show poker skills.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't understand this. What gives the slow roller a justification to taunt the other player? In my view, the only player that can be taunted is the slow roller, because they are so slow to make such an easy decision... The slow roll can only demonstrate weak poker skills. The snap call (the opposite of a slow roll) would be a better way to show poker skills.

Absolutely agree with you. I wont ever understand that guy but actually wonder why he thinks its smart to do. Sadly I have been on the receiving end if this guy and never responded to him but man I love stacking him when it happens. Happy I have not seen him in a while. Hopefully I will never see him again.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slow rolling is a lack of respect and I never understand why a player feels the need to do so. Do they feel better about themselves for attempting to humiliate or deliberately make a player receive punishment. I think it takes no class and displays a lack of sportsmanship. If the player receives joy from this then they have some work to do on themselves. I have seen players waste complete time banks and then flip over the nuts. Ridiculous.

The only reason I would ever give a pass for the act is if the 2 players in the hand have some bad history or it’s payback for a previous slow roll.

Just like some of the horrible chat I see , this is another aspect of the game that I wish was not taking place. Respect each other and the game. Win and lose with class.

A

acenit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slow rolls are unethical, but should not be penalized imo

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: Nahaaa everyone plays at their own pace, or sometimes there are players who play 4 tournaments or two monitors and are a little slower ...

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it were up to me, if you slow rolled someone that didnt already slow roll you first, you would be shot of a cannon.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my experience, true intentional slow rolls are a pretty rare occurrence in poker—even though nearly every hand of poker in a tv show or movie tends to involve one 🤣

I’ve gotten silently frustrated playing live before when someone took a long time to call with a hand I would’ve snapped with—but that was unfair of me. We all take different times to play and most of the time what looks like a slow roll is just someone having a harder time with the decision than you yourself would have (perhaps) had in the same situation. It’s most likely a good sign that you’re at a table where you have an edge.

M

mellow123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you’re asking if they should change the rules to penalize for slow rolls, my opinion is no, for a couple of reasons.

1. Many mistake players thinking they are slow rolling ( taking their sweet time to call when they know they’ve won) with people who are genuinely thinking their opponent might have a ( albeit small) chance the 1 or 2 outs to beat them, even if the previous action would seem to make that impossible.

2. That would be hard to even enforce. How would you set the criteria to penalize a slow roll? Certain number of seconds? Only if the accused slow-roller had the nuts? Only if opponent challenges by proclaiming slow-roll?

3. Anyone who slow-rolls, or even is perceived to slow roll, just once, usually receives a pretty good verbal lashing from one of more players, and that’s enough to curtail or minimize the activity, without any need to enforce it with a penalty

L

ludinj

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
some times i take alot of time to shove with AA, just in case they have KK want to call me with small pot