Pot Odds ..... Implied Odds ......

lizasback

lizasback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't understand these methods of play, can anyone help with how they work ?
i had 24 os was playing against an all in player & only had to call like 100 more chips, why give him 100 more chips, it turns out i would of lost, i just don't understand what logic is behind giving out 100 more chips just because of the odds

lizasback

lizasback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i read the odds calculator & thank you for it, i think that's just way too much work, i love poker & if i have to go through all that calculating when essentially it's going to turn out different almost every time, i'd quit playing, wowee, the odds way is not for me :)

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to get a grip on pot odds, and then by extension, implied odds. In your example, if the total pot was then in the 1000 range, and it cost you 100 to see, then you would be getting 10-1 odds. Hell, many of us here would see any pot at 10-1 odds if we were holding Get Well Soon greeting cards!

There are times when taking those odds are almost mandatory, with the worst cards u can imagine. And those times are actually a bit more frequent than you would guess.

lizasback

lizasback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pot odds i don't care for at all, but i think everyone has implied odds built in when card playing :)

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well 24o has about 35% equity vs most overcards and probably about 30% vs a higher s/c like JTs. So that means that even if your opponent was pushing with something like AK, you still have 1:2 odds to win the pot. So if the blinds are something like 50/100 and it only costs you an extra 100 to call, you are getting (presuming villain isn't sb) 350:100 or 3.5:1 pot odds to call. Knowing such a short stack is highly unlikely to have any sort of hand (ie. overpair, which is the only situation you are in bad shape) this is a very easy call because you are getting 3.5:1 pot odds to call when you are very likely only a 1:2 dog to win the pot. Implied odds have nothing to do with your post, only pot odds.

Implied odds are applicable in the situation where you call a bet in the expectation of being able to gain extra chips from your opponent if you hit your hand. So say you have an FD on the turn and you might call a bet that is giving you say 2.5:1 for the pot odds. Well since your equity is only 4:1, this doesn't seem like a sound call. But but say, for instance, that your opponent has a big hand, like a set/2 pair etc. and that s/he won't be able to let go of it if a flush card comes and you bet. If you hit your hand, you might be able to win a 4/5 pot bet from your opponent, and make the turn call profitable. So say you call a $7.5 bet into a $10 pot on the turn. You are getting 2.3:1 pot odds. Now the pot is $25. You hit your flush on the river and bet $20 and villain calls. So you risked $7.5 to make $37.5, which means your implied odds were actually 5:1, which made this a profitable call.

R

rivertapped

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Say we were going to flip a coin two times and bet on the outcome. If the coin flips "heads" both times, you win. If the coin comes up "tails" twice or 1 "heads" and 1 "tails, you lose.

This would be a bad bet for you if we were betting even money, say my $10 versus your $10.

But if I were to put up my $1000 versus your $1, it would be a good bet for you.

You would probably lose, but it is still a bet you should take.

It's the same with pot odds. Sometimes you should bet some money even though you will probably lose the bet. The idea is that while you will lose most of the time, the times that you do win, will result in a profit for you in the long run.

Your 2/4 offsuit will lose 2 out of 3 times to your opponent's AK, but if you are getting the correct mathematical odds, you should make the bet.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator