Pot Limit Omaha vs No Limit Holdem

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play Omaha, it takes a bit more, because it can turn fast that the best hand until you've lost it, have to play in another way.
Test for it is very fun, but start with low efforts.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
PLO is definitely my weakest game, but I'm working on it.

I've never played PLO live before.. My short term memory is so bad, that I think I'd be looking at my cards every 15 seconds to see what I have and what's changed after the flop, turn, and river lol.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha's no less interesting than hold'em. It's even easier for me to play it, because it's easier to choose the one with which to play from 4 pocket cards.

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO is not like Texas Holdem where raising and building a pot or trying to bluff or bully opponents works and could make you take down the pot in PLO you need to play only good hands and never bet big if you don't have the nuts and never call if you can't improve to a monster hand.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After reading the article I have to say I really want to play PLO. Nice tips for beginners like me. I think its is a completely different game from holdem . A lot of variance, and everything changes with every street compared to texas holdem.

So, I am curious, what is the equivalent of holdem aces hand to omaha?

Last edited:
Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PLO is definitely my weakest game, but I'm working on it.

I've never played PLO live before.. My short term memory is so bad, that I think I'd be looking at my cards every 15 seconds to see what I have and what's changed after the flop, turn, and river lol.

Lol!!!!!!! Didnt think it that way!!:D:D I'm probably worse, consider all the times I've played plo I looked again and again at my cards for like half a minute at every street :flute::flute:

And I'm talking about playing online:laugh::laugh::laugh:

R

RicardoTolfo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Omaha has many possible combinations. You never know what your opponent has in hand. I always confuse my game because I have to use 2 cards from my hand.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great article on PLO, I learn a lot here in the forum, this article has greatly expanded my knowledge, I had not thought about this opportunity in Omaha, I like playing Texa's Hodem. I'm going to invest some money in Omaha and put these tips into practice, I hope to get lucky at the tables and make some money.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great article on PLO, I learn a lot here in the forum, this article has greatly expanded my knowledge, I had not thought about this opportunity in Omaha, I like playing Texa's Hodem. I'm going to invest some money in Omaha and put these tips into practice, I hope to get lucky at the tables and make some money.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Great article for beginners in PLO. Position is so key in this game.

Omaha is a game of undefined hands unlike Holdem. No hand has any significant advantage pre-flop and this game forces you to become good at post flop play. Cannot get attached to any hand no matter how strong it is one bad flop, turn or river and you must be willing to muck them.

bluffing in Omaha is obviously a lot harder to do than in Holdem. But it is possible got to pick your spots carefully it is more about what your opponent fear like a flush or straight or board pairing card.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I played Omaha a few times in tournaments here in the CC, I played because I am participatory in the events here of the cardchat but I think Omaha very complicated .... when I learn a little more of Holdem, I will begin to train PLO

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
PLO is my second favorite poker variation.
To get 4 cards in hand give more action.
When I begin to play PLO, it took me a while to understand that I haved to use to 2 of my cards.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pot Limit Omaha is a game of increased variance, so poor players can run up huge bankrolls without much knowledge of the game because equities between hands preflop are so much closer. Weak players aren’t bleeding as much money preflop as they are in Hold'em and can go on astonishingly sick runs, or just lose money at a much slower rate.

Perhaps my English is very bad, but it seems to me that this phrase contains a logical contradiction. After all, the more variance, the higher the risk that an inexperienced player will lose his entire bankroll very quickly. A player with a poor knowledge of omaha poker - many hands seem very strong, but in fact they are easily beaten by even stronger hands. In this, Omaha Poker is very similar to Poker 6+. Of course, these are different versions of poker, but they are similar in that very often very strong combinations are being collected during the game, which Texas Holdem players see much less often.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I prefer playing Omaha but you have to have a thicker skin and be prepared for more gambling. The variance can be brutal in it.

Everbane

Everbane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Played in Omaha and personally my opinion is not mine .. I like Holdem more!

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I started playing poker, I started playing Omaha but over time I focused on the holdem to improve my skills but I still play a little bit.

Nelson1712

Nelson1712

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not play Omaha, I only play Texas Holdem, it's my only game and I still have a lot to learn, so until I consider myself a semi expert player, I will not dedicate myself to other games

T

TheShek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find PLO an extremely frustrating game. It's a lot of fun to play, and when it goes well I feel very satisfied. I've been working on my game but I still get outdrawn most of the time. Even when i'm a huge favourite preflop, on the flop and turn, the river seems to constantly make me a loser. But I keep returning because I figure the variance will turn around at some point. But will it?!?

Playing in position is very important in PLO. Playing hands that can make the nuts. And playing tight, which is harder to do because so many hands seem to have so much potential.

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a fish, I will start playing more omaham - since, according to the article, the fish will have a good return. In fact, every time I played omaham, I realized it was easier to have a holdem base. The problem I encounter in omaham is that it increases the combinations, to think of the opponent's hand, because they are 4 letters instead of 2.
I'll try to play more omaham, to see if I can confirm what the article says.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Thanks to CardsChat I have played Omaha games, I prefer NLO over PLO but have enjoyed both.

Best advice I got was to evaluate my hole cards carefully before entering a hand, some hands look pretty but in fact are crap.

:top:

AlexPedsPaps

AlexPedsPaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO seems fun but a much more difficult game mathematically. Also there is much higher variance so you’re more likely to get stung. But also this means you can sting someone else!

I prefer NLH but then again I haven’t played much PLO at all.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Pot Limit Omaha is a very fun game mode you have enough to calculate odds I like to play Omaha with letters seguencias possibilities as well but I think it has chances to win

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you get angry easily from playing Holdem, I would not recommend PLO. As mentioned several times in this thread, the variance in PLO is insane compared to Holdem.

For example only in Omaha can you have top set on the flop and still be behind LOL.

:ah4::as4: :kh4: :ks4: has only about 45% equity vs :9d4: :8d4::5c4: :4c4:

on a :ad4: :7d4: :6s4: flop

Kanetuck

Kanetuck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The article helped me. I finished in the money on the first PLO tournament I played after reading the article. Nothing crazy, like two dollars, but was fun.

HypnoT0AD

HypnoT0AD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I quite like PLO, you usually end up with more monster hands, but so do your opponents.

I prefer playing it to NLHE, but I find it's tougher also, but maybe because I've playing NLHE longer than PLO.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules