Pot Limit Omaha vs No Limit Holdem

AvovchikA

AvovchikA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like Hold'em less and less. And more like Omaha, especially high-low. It's very interesting and makes me think more. I'm tired of the hold'em, the vein moves make me tired. Although the distance should return, but she is not in a hurry

Kirstenoli91

Kirstenoli91

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mix it up

I love both of these games and play them both regularly. I find that if I’m grinding a short stack that it is easier to sustain a good long day playing NL. PLO is much more volatile. I’ve had some really amazing days playing PLO but the amount of money it takes to gamble in the right spots in that game require more bankroll management. I actually prefer NL because there is less variance. I can control the outcomes much easier in NL Hold’em.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like PLO and play both tournaments and cash. I prefer NLHE tournaments and PLO cash. The article had good info for beginners but one thing I found misleading was it said that because equities run closer bad players can run up huge bankrolls without much knowledge of the game. It’s true that bad players are going to be losing less money pre flop but they are going to be losing far more post flop. Players come form NLHE value bet too light and they tend to go broke with 2nd and 3rd nuts far too often. Over valuing strong hands is definitely something you should be aware of when playing PLO.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually I dont play pot limit Omaha cause I dont understand this game totally and dont want to invest my money in my game there.I play only no limit holdem and this is my favourite type of poker nowadays where I want to be profitable and skillful player!

MKaizer07

MKaizer07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OMaha beginners

The main differences i've seen in omaha is that players are willing to chase cards more often than in Holdem. So, my advice for beginners is know that two pairs is more like having one pair in omaha and a set is like having two pairs in holdem so on and so forth. Also be ready to get a lot of bad beats in omaha.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer PLO to NLH but there isn’t as many tables available and I end up sitting in a NLH game

gillbates21

gillbates21

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Omaha is my favourite, but not so many Omaha tournaments.
also Omaha has less participation... that means less people to beat to reach money.

W

Weicester

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have started playing PLO since yesterday. I played my first tournament on 888 and finished second ($1,50 buy-in, $36 prize).

Picking it up real quickly, but would like to find some proper guides. On this forum there doesn't seem to be much discussion about PLO, or am I wrong?

throughstruggle

throughstruggle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot limit Omaha is a very hard game for me. Dispersion random game. Never had good results in it. Therefore, I do not play. Here Omaha Hi Lo is another matter.

L

Larzz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Differences to me making the transition from NLHE was trying to understand the equity. You can be a dog with the nut straight on the flop.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a big heavy action post flop. Usually see quad beat full house. Or higher full house best lower full house.
Flushed that win are usually Ace high flushes.
What I have seen too that happens once in awhile are straight flushes that beat quads/boat/A-high flush when the opponent wasn’t aware he was beaten.
These are what you don’t typically see in HE

A

Ak907native

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I get tired of texas I play Omaha for a bit. Only thing is sometimes I forget I'm playing only 2 out of 4 cards and get a lil dummy. I do find it a lil easier to play most times and you have more cards to work with. Live poker, dealers choice, I prefer Omaha hi/lo.2nd choice is texas of course. If an online poker site has an Omaha tourney I would so enter. If I do find one, there's just not much interest in it.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules