Poll: Are you an overall winning player?

Are you overall a winning player?

• Yes, I'm an overall winner!

Votes: 90 56.3%
  • I'm a break-even player

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • No, overall I'm a losing player

Votes: 26 16.3%
  • I don't know / I don't keep track.

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters
Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I said even at first then looked myself up on OPR.
Over there I have gone from a rating of 57% in 2007 to 78% in 2008.
That looks good.

$245 in prizes but a negative ROI, don't know how that is, since I have NEVER deposited any money on FTP,
I started my bankroll in a Freeroll

This year in my live league, I took first place among 30+ regular monthly players

So maybe I am a winner!!!

:icon_sant

F

flyfish4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
last month im down a little but over last 2 yrs ahead about a thow on internet and more from live cash games

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe a bunch of people are lying if not this is the best online poker forum ever. Me Im down about $75, cause Ive got $25 left of my $100 deposit I know that sux but unlike most of you I can admit that. Trying to build it back up a little through freerolls.

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I win more often than I lose know but I still haven't recouped the money I lost getting to this point.

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
overall i am a loser i guess in the beginning i win a lot and then it stops and lose it all again and again really frustrating.....

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe a bunch of people are lying if not this is the best online poker forum ever. Me Im down about $75, cause Ive got $25 left of my $100 deposit I know that sux but unlike most of you I can admit that. Trying to build it back up a little through freerolls.

An interesting observation.

It is said that between 50 and 90 percent of poker players are long term losers. Period. (different people quote different amounts)

I think human nature will underestimate losses and overestimate wins.

Bottom line... you go down and bust over time, or you go up and never go bust. I don't imagine over the long term that there is really such a thing as a break even player.

This is, like most things poker, not a simple question.

Being a winner at micro stakes is different than being a winner at big tables. 6 max is different than FR. Razz is different than Stud. Tourneys, cash games, live, and so on.

So in the end winning is more about knowing your limits and carefully growing beyond them than it is just skill.

At least I think this skill may be one of the most important once you have ANY game at all.

almostfamous1003

almostfamous1003

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually, if I play 10 tournies i will make the final table 3 times and place in the money 5 times, so i consider my self a winning player. I win more money than i spend so i'm happy with that

T

thebiatch22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
over all im winning however if you ask me ill tell you i dont know anything about poker but feel free to lokk my stats up my player name is i am the biatch and i play at full tilt poker

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually average around $100.00 a week playing cash games at 5 sites. It takes a lot of patience and a lot of folding to win. I think if you bet the right hands postflop when you are ahead you end up in the black. I have a nice online bankroll but since I live in a State where internet betting is illegal I can't withdraw any of it until they change the rules in the US.

B

bobcat57

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't really know how to answer this one....I've never made a deposit on any poker site but just by starting out with freerolls I have built up enough of a bankroll on three different poker sites to play in private tourneys regularly. But mostly, I just dont keep track.

S

stew20

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well seeing my sharkscope record is about $-1200.00 on full tilt i would say overall i am a losing player :(

C

C_Onderwater

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether you are a winning or losing player depends on who you're playing against, it isn't too difficult to be a winning player against poor opponents, especially if you don't consider bad beats 'losing'. It all depends on the circumstance.

G

glworden

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually average around $100.00 a week playing cash games at 5 sites. It takes a lot of patience and a lot of folding to win. I think if you bet the right hands postflop when you are ahead you end up in the black. I have a nice online bankroll but since I live in a State where internet betting is illegal I can't withdraw any of it until they change the rules in the US.

I don't think this is true.
I live in Michigan, also one of the listed illegals, and I just recently got checks from bodog and Carbon. Both checks came from foreign banks in US funds.

Who told you you couldn't get your money in Wisconsin?

G

glworden

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether you are a winning or losing player depends on who you're playing against, it isn't too difficult to be a winning player against poor opponents, especially if you don't consider bad beats 'losing'. It all depends on the circumstance.

Well, that's part of the game too. Table selection and seeking out weaker opponents. Winning or losing should be pretty clear in the long run. Either you're making money or you're not. If one of the reasons you're losing is that you're playing against stronger players, then fix that hole by seeking out weaker opponents. The stats in the lobbies of poker sites can help you find looser tables. Look for flop percentages and big pots.
GW