Poll: Are you an overall winning player?

Are you overall a winning player?

• Yes, I'm an overall winner!

Votes: 90 56.3%
  • I'm a break-even player

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • No, overall I'm a losing player

Votes: 26 16.3%
  • I don't know / I don't keep track.

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters
I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like nobody wants to admit to being break even or a loser. Over my career, I'm pretty much break even, probably a slight loser

P

pokerking123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant lie...i lost $100 so far...so now I'm going to try to win it back from freerolls but looks like im a losing player for now :(

G

gra605

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In $ terms I am a winner, but only because I play freerolls and small $ tourneys and sit n goes. If I had paid 50c for every tourney I have played then I would be bankrupt !!!!!

Insaneasylm

Insaneasylm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you needed to make your poll question a little more clear and percise. i marked i'm a winning poker player. Not because i have won online though. I have lost 50 dollars 0nline and that was my learning 50 i also lost 50 in my last live torney.

But before that the last 3 live torneys i have played in, i have cashed and the last 5 home games i have played in, i have walked out with an avarge of 50 more than i came with.

So yea i would consider myself a winning live poker player. But i don't consider myself a good poker player just average. that would be a better poll question.

NiceNisus

NiceNisus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm...

I've invested $0 in online poker and have made + $500 dollars online, yet have lost + $ 480 online,
Overall does that make me a winner? In poll I said I was overall a loser,
but maybe that's not true. lol feel like a loser for sure though :p.
I've got a BR going again on a site so there's hope :p.

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On both sharkscope and offical poker rankings I have negative ROI on most of my accounts. However, I have still made some money. I voted myself to be a winner, although with the pace that I have earned money - I am more likely to be considered break even or marginal winnner.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you needed to make your poll question a little more clear and percise.
The poll has already been clarified and is exactly the question that was sought. OP is looking for honest votes in an anonymous poll to see where folks list themselves in relationship to being an overall winning player. Overall means exactly that, all inclusive. Not this week or last month but all of it together.

that would be a better poll question.
However you are welcome to start your own poll as well.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a winner, way ahead in these games than most of u dweebs. Not enuff to pay for a cadiallac, but a winner. LMFAO

T

thejuanupsman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I said yes because my early winnings far exceed anything I have lost since then. I was lucky enough to learn poker in a school of drunk fish and won more in a few months of play than I did in my first year of working a regular job.

That lasted 3-4 years. I was the only guy I knew who never had a job when he was a minor. All my money came from poker. Then I hardly played for about 15 years. Just the occasional home game. By the time I discovered online poker it was an entirely different game. And I sucked at it. My first year I didn't play enough to show up in the rankings on OPR but enough to see I had a -49% ROI. If you were to look me up now you would see either a -16 ROI (tilt) or just about 0 ROI (stars) both of which place me at about better than 80% that all online players per OPR. So I have no problem believing that 90% of players lose. Strangely I'm ranked higher of Tilt than on stars despite having a better ROI on stars. Even online, despite my negative ROI I consider myself a winning player. I've never made a deposit at any site. My bankroll across 4 sites is a little over $300 bucks. Not a lot but all profit so I would say overall that makes me a winning player.

I'm just not winning much.

T

TheSkeptic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not an easy poll to conduct this and hard to make sense of results I would think. Here's why.

Player Fred has put in $600 over 6 months to his poker site. So far his total winnings are $935.

Question: Is Fred a winner according to your poll? I guess you would say yes.

In fact, Fred is a shite player who loses over and over again. He hit one single big MTT win that brought in $800. So, in general, Fred is a losing player like many of us.

The point is that the analysis of money in vs money out as a snapshot in time is not sufficient to determine if you are a winner or loser.

If it was then we could incorrectly determine that slot machines are a winning strategy gamble having played a few rolls and won. In fact we know that slot machines are a terrible gamble and always will be. YOU WILL LOSE over time if you continue to play them.

Thus with online poker, I think we see the same dilemma. Every player will have highs and lows if we map their HHs. The highs and lows will vary in severity according to how the player plays. e.g. those players who play mostly large MTTs will show many losses and one or two very big wins. Cash table players will show much smaller peaks and troughs.

In the end then how do we determine a real winning player? Probably you have to look at people who have played at least 1 year and have played X thousand hands in that time.

S

stridsmr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I made a $40 deposit at bodog poker in late April of this year. (I have a few dollars at Doyle's Room too, but I've only been plying there for a couple months.) By the end of July, I had about $2,350 on the site. I cashed out $1,500 at that point to repay a loan, and took the entire month of August off from poker while I was abroad. (There were more important things abroad than poker, trust me.) I came back to BoDog at the start of September with about $850 after the cashout, and in three months have built that up to just under $4,400.

So yes, I am an overall winner. I don't make enough in sheer volume to make a living at it (not yet, anyway) but I am a profitable player. I don't subscribe to the pokerdb at bluff, but on their free weekend earlier this month I saw my tournament ROI was +40%. I think it may be a little higher now, but I'm not sure.

jokish123

jokish123

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Im a loser...everyone come and play with me and take all of my money ;)

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lifetime poker winnings: $-35.

However, I have generated 400 FPP, so if I were rake-free, I would be up 5$. I guess this means I'm about break even rake-free which isn't quite enough to pull a profit using only FPP rewards. I'm hopeful that in the future a little improvement would mean I could actually make money.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is another "depends" answer. If you go by my overall, lifetime online poker career, I am a losing player.
Now, if you take my last year, when I started to take the game more seriously, I haven't lost as much money, oh wait a minute, never mind.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
counting online w/l together (+15$) with live w/l (+150)
I'm a bit above the line this year.

My roi looks horrible though.
I earnt most on freerolls and burnt it in sngs.
Small fish though, just a hobby.
I would say breaking even on chips and coffee.

spranger

spranger

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Deposited 10 on some weird site, cant even remember the name, lost it.
Deposited 50 on Stars, built it up to $120 then went on tilt and lost it in a day. (it was damn fun.)
Deposited another 50 on stars and am now at $280 (+170 overall) and plan on AVOIDING tilt this time :)

A

alinro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I gained new player freeroll tournament on cp $ 50.
I got 2 to deepsteek population and have won worth $ 700
we've got population 1 to nl holdem freenzout as the PS, I won $ 125
I removed worth $ 500​

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya right look at all the winners. common guys, amarillo slim has a saying, " a person who says they always win is either a lier or they don't play poker" that's a fact. 64% are overall winners, don't belief it.

i'm just begining and i should keep track but i don't right now. when i can see a drastic change in my game, improvement, then i'll start. right now i'm learning and practicing. it's to early to keep track, cause if i did i would be very discouraged by the results.

i'll come back when i'm an overall winner, i mean wienner - i mean winner lol. :D

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL do you mean this week , this year?

Seriously over the past year I have made some cash not much but enough to get my bank roll looking decent....and I admmit to loosing my first R100 I deposited (including the BONUS:p)

Over the last three months I am up....over the last week I am a fish and look forward to boosting all your bankrolls.

Oh and i voted break even :D

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
amarillo slim has a saying, " a person who says they always win is either a lier or they don't play poker" that's a fact.
No one is saying they win all of the time. The question is are you an OVERALL winning player. That's not every time you play, it's over the history of your play.

64% are overall winners, don't belief it.
Actually the poll is showing 64 votes which is 73.56% of the people that voted on the poll. It shouldn't be hard to understand that that number is not representative of all poker players; it represents votes only from those poker players that frequent a poker forum (in this case, this one). Poker players that use a forum and work on their game are miles ahead of the average player out there and yes, our results will tend to be better on average.

i'm just begining and i should keep track but i don't right now.
This is a mistake imo, you should be keeping track right now.

when i can see a drastic change in my game, improvement, then i'll start. right now i'm learning and practicing. it's to early to keep track, cause if i did i would be very discouraged by the results.
Sorry but this is wrong too and you'll just be lying to yourself. It can be discouraging, but any money you win or lose right now is still part of your overall winning/losing status. There is no way to know if you've recouped your "training" losses once you actually do see that drastic change in your game because you didn't keep track. This would be like a school telling a kid, "Well we know you're not too bright yet so we won't give you any grades. Once we see you really start to excel in school, then we'll start grading you." Of course they wouldn't do that because the grades (just like your overall winning/losing status so you know how you're doing) should be tracked across the board.

I've even heard people say, "As of x date forward I'm a winning player". So by that rationale anyone can be a winning player; all they need to do is ignore their losses and pick a timeframe in which winnings exceed losses and deposits. Then again, I guess that the more disillusioned records keepers there are means the more people there are to fund the rest.

LOL do you mean this week , this year?

over the past year I have made some cash not much but enough to get my bank roll looking decent....and I admmit to loosing my first R100 I deposited (including the BONUS:p)

Over the last three months I am up....over the last week I am a fish and look forward to boosting all your bankrolls.

Oh and i voted break even :D
Thread title says OVERALL
o·ver·all (
omacr.gif
prime.gif
v
schwa.gif
r-ôl
lprime.gif
)
adj.
1. From one end to the other
2. Including everything; comprehensive
3. Regarded as a whole; general

Last edited:
brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've won 2 MTTs on pokerstars this year that basically netted me about 5k. My stats are shit because I get punished in SNGs. I feel that I'm a good player but stats tell a different story.

I think there's a lot of people that go by those stats and nothing else. Those stats dont figure out when you suffered a bad beat on the river or anything else. It's pretty much wins and losses.

There's been many times I've played SNGs and MTTs and did well and got wacked because I call an all in with K/K and the guy flips over A/2o. Guess what hits on the river?

So I feel I'm a good player and nothing else more. I'm happy with my MTT wins and hopefully can close out the year with one more...maybe 2. ;)

GL on the felt.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not at all.

I'm the worst player ever.