Poker Should Not Be Considered As Gambling

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess it is gambling. Yeh there is some skill and strategy involved but you can still do everything right and lose. At the end of the day, there is a ton of gambling in poker, Like a heavy draw semi bluff for example is "Gambling" and a major part of poker.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
People who have read books, and watched tutorial videos about poker ... will know that poker is not a game of gambling ... on the contrary it is increasingly common the use of scientific studies as the calculation of the odds and analysis of statistics that allow you to improve your game and therefore earn more money ...!

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Everything involving betting and money can be considered a gambling. It would be at least strange to see an athlete earning money with poker instead of a medal at the Olympics.

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is definitely gambling, any moneys at the table can for the most part can be gone within a flop, turn and river... Even if the hand has been played perfectly

Last edited:
J

jekan85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm thinking in poker there is excitement and in considerable quantity so you have to be careful

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Has anyone ever heard of a state lottery "scratch-off tournament"? Of course not. Yet it's a multi-billion dollar form of "entertainment" and you can't scratch off a lottery ticket for free... you must pay cash money and it's deemed legal in most states and on a federal level (U.S.), and it requires no skill, what-so-ever.
Do you believe ANY sporting event will be taken seriously if the players involved are participating without monetary compensation? I don't believe so, either.
The hypocrisy of and deliberate boycott of online poker's legitimacy as a form of legal entertainment is so blatant by "the powers that be" that it should be highlighted as an attempt to keep ordinary citizens, worldwide, from pursuing self-employment and/or means of personal income. It's a form of tyranny, imo. With that being said, to consider poker gambling is in the eye of the beholder. Even Wall Street has guidelines and that's a completely insecure financial investment platform. Brokers are essentially looking for "backers" on their company's reputation. So, why not allow people the chance to invest in themselves while playing a game of skill, online? I believe the only gamble is deciding which site to play at.

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Has anyone ever heard of a state lottery "scratch-off tournament"? Of course not. Yet it's a multi-billion dollar form of "entertainment" and you can't scratch off a lottery ticket for free... you must pay cash money and it's deemed legal in most states and on a federal level (U.S.), and it requires no skill, what-so-ever.
Do you believe ANY sporting event will be taken seriously if the players involved are participating without monetary compensation? I don't believe so, either.
The hypocrisy of and deliberate boycott of online poker's legitimacy as a form of legal entertainment is so blatant by "the powers that be" that it should be highlighted as an attempt to keep ordinary citizens, worldwide, from pursuing self-employment and/or means of personal income. It's a form of tyranny, imo. With that being said, to consider poker gambling is in the eye of the beholder. Even Wall Street has guidelines and that's a completely insecure financial investment platform. Brokers are essentially looking for "backers" on their company's reputation. So, why not allow people the chance to invest in themselves while playing a game of skill, online? I believe the only gamble is deciding which site to play at.
NCAA athletes do not get any monetary compensation and host some the biggest and most exciting games out there...

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, poker is a sport, with elements of gambling. I agree with you that a professional player has a huge advantage over an amateur. But there are also quick tournaments in which the amateur, thanks to luck, can win.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
NCAA athletes do not get any monetary compensation and host some the biggest and most exciting games out there...
You are correct. I should have been more specific in my statement. Professional sports is what I was referring to. Might I add that other forms of non-professional sporting events such as golf and fishing tournaments require entrants to buy-in to the tournament. Based on skill and some luck determines whether or not a prize, usually cash, is dispersed. The point being is that money is spent/required to enter these events that mirror poker but these events are not considered gambling.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If i offered a bet of 1/100 it's still gambling the odds are just in your favor. Bookmakers gamble they are just on the winning end of the bet more often than not. And live poker is so much more about studying people and reactions where as online is just more mathematical. That's why 100nl live plays like 10nl online possibly worse.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
in any sport it doesn’t matter what - tennis, football, hockey or some other element of azat is present, otherwise there would be no interest in these sports. But I think that playing poker is not an accident but a skill and as in any sport and in poker, in order to win regularly, you need to train long and hard !!!

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So by that definition gambling would be...

Insurance
Marriage
Incorporating
Investing
Taking any job
and on and on...

Yes most of these are taking a gamble. Investing in the stock market is like gambling at the highest stakes.

pdcactus1

pdcactus1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course its luck

If all it took was skill then no one but the "Skilled" would ever win. Every time no matter how skilled you think you are or how skilled you actually are every hand you're relying on the LUCK of the cards to come out ahead in the end. Making the right decision at the right time sometimes involves a level of skill, but of course never always. Every time you see the flop with a pair of anything you're depending on the luck of the cards to finish with a win. As always happens it seems fold pocket Six's to a raise PF and 6 hits. play the pocket Sixes and it misses. Every hand all the pros are doing is playing the implied odds for the cards they hold and hoping for the best.
that being said the implied odds for any 2 CARDS is within a few percentage points of any other cards. Of course "they" say "In the long run ...this will pay better than...this" what has happened does not and will not ever affect what will happen.

That's why people play 93os PF for a raise and defeat pocket Aces in the end. Just now I called a short stacks Allin PF I held Q8 of spades They Held AQos an 8 hit and the run out didn't change anything so I win. I'm the Greatest player in the world. If a Q or Ace or 4 Diamonds or Hearts hit, THEY ARE THE GREATEST. right now I have Pocket Kings. Any ace calls and an Ace hits without a K runout I lose. no Ace hit so I take it down on the flop bet. Nothing but LUCK. But I'm one that doesn't want luck (unless at the moment I need it, LOL) I just would like to avoid "Bad Luck"

:heeeellll:confused::heeeellll​

onione6ix

onione6ix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It has been proven in a court of a law in Ny , That Poker is a Game of skill . Look up United States of America vs. DiCristina.

pdcactus1

pdcactus1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Best

Yes, Poker is all skill. I, running low on chips down to 4,000 a min raise in front of me. I have :2h4::2d4: on the button I go over the top All-in. The raiser calls and has :ks4::kd4: The flop hits :kh4::4c4::5c4: the turn hits :3c4: the river hits :ad4: I am the greatest poker player Alive. !! All Skill all the time.

I'm in the SB I have AK of Hearts a player in the middle goes All-in. everyone folds. I call the All-in, it's him and I, he has 65os the runout comes with a 5 on the turn so I am sent to the rails waaaa waaaaa. He is the greatest player in the World. All Skill.

:bath::stoned::icon_cat:​

A dude goes All-in preflop in the middle It gets to me I have AKs I call his All-in He has 35s
flop is 3, 3, 5 HE IS THE GREATEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD. It's All skill.

:secruity::y::2in1:​

Last edited by a moderator:
n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker can and can not be considered as gambling. For me, the majority of poker is not gambling. That is because, for the most part, I am not a gambler when it comes to poker. In other words, I haven't gambled much of my own money and always used freerolls to build a bankroll. However, poker has lead me to make mistakes and gamble more than I wanted to both in poker, on roulette, and sports, because of unforeseen emotional difficulties playing poker within a bankroll and trying out martingaling strategies.

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it should be called with it is, a bot infested cheating system with teams just running over everyone who isnt equipped (and you know what equipped means) and no not just your brain

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
If poker is seen as a game of gamble - then "everything else" is a gamble.

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the player for the most players it’s gambling and for really small amount of elite players it is a job. In my opinion you can study poker all the time but then you still need to have talent to be good.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in a part, yes, but many times,with all the winning hands, i lose with 43.

Santiman

Santiman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course Poker is gambling.. you are naive if you believe otherwise .
Call it what ever you want.. a game of chance.. a sport.. whatever.
in the simplest of explanations..
if there is cash involved and you are betting on an outcome, its gambling.

So there is some skill involved.. you are still gambling you just have a better edge .

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excelent

Cards + money = Gambling! So it was and always will be ...
Every time I said poker is gambling. At last online had too many tournaments in which I had lost every single hand even with monsters.

K

KwazuluNatal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Africa

My thoughts are that poker is very much a skillful game and those putting time in to really learn and have the money usually come out on top. My problem is the money, endless pit of money to lose on the river, most times. I enjoy the game, but man there are plenty more ways to get frustrated than losing your money.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you . Poker is a skill game with a random element.

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker can be considered as gambling, because it includes luck, especially in short distance.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling