Can Poker Ruin a Friendship/Relationship?

D

Dzoomal94

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never play poker with friends because it can always end up adventures. I'm just as good: p

D

Dzoomal94

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never play with your friends, because they always lose and have pretensions: p

apeedgovi

apeedgovi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker doesn't ruin friendships, people ruin friendships. That is so stupid. How can someone be your friend, and then not because they lost some poker hands to you? What? What kinda friend is that? And if it is such a big deal, then maybe you shouldn't play together.

Senneville

Senneville

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just a game and you have no friend at table. You want all chips. If not quit that game. And told to your friend before and after the game. Communication at table is very important.

YoSoyMarce

YoSoyMarce

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when i play with my friend im very aggressive in the game we are rivals and in the normal life is best friend but when we sit at the table we are the most enemies and no any problem all's fine

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fair play and friendship, which is better in poker?

PieterTerAar

PieterTerAar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing with a friend often at the table in poker, there is such a thing. It when we play at the same table, constantly loses chips. When I'm not at the table, or I'm not playing, he's fine, he's in the "plus". And this situation is repeated more than once. This led to the fact that he came out of the game when I sat down at the table. Then even further , he began to avoid a General poker game with me! maybe I need to slow down a little and lose some hands? Very often when I play with him, my winnings only occur because of simple luck. Yes, it's just what the strip not luck he had with the game personally with me! A reasonable explanation for this no, his older hands lose on the river my even trash hands!
Question - for the sake of friendship sometimes we must lose in poker?

It's not your fault that you win every time. He should stop acting childish and just play for fun. When youre playing a game with friends i think that's what is should be about.

onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I like to play against my friends in poker. Just bluffing less than ever and all, if have a nice hand no matter who you are you must pay it. And i think everyone who play poker must to understand this! Thats the sence of this game.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just take time to share the game and chat with people. Then everything will be OK.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many thanks to all who made suggestions for this situation. It became clear that the problem occurred in varying degrees to many. Everyone I knew his mind there. For myself, after reading your suggestions, I decided not to play poker with your friend! Friendship above all, and you can play poker and other! Good luck to all the poker tables!

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have many frenemies at poker rooms but no friends. I don't attempt to make friends go broke but that is exactly what I do at poker.

Meire

Meire

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do bankroll company with a friend, but lately she's losing everything on tilt. And this is driving me mad, but I try to keep quiet to preserve our friendship.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I don't think that for the sake of friendship we must lose in poker , we play to win , it's a game , that's the purpose of the game , nothing more or less . So it cannot ruin a friendship if it's real . If you can't deal with this , stop playing each other . Hopefully , I and my friends play for very low stakes each other and for fun so we don't have this kind of problems .

_xrolex_90

_xrolex_90

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play with friends just for fun.We do not play for money in our live games, so our friendship did not destroy.And when I meet friends for online tables, then I try to play as usual, without succumbing to them.
Since we all microlimit players, we are not able to do a lot of damage to each other in cash.

G

GodlyKing

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it shouldn't

i don't think poker ruins friendships. i play with friends at home games every once in a while for a small buy in. if you took their house/car or something else of high value, then maybe. but you shouldn't be playing at those stakes with real friends anyway, right?

A

alt888

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play differently with my friends. I also don't get invited to as many home games, but I'd often chop so I'd be invited back. Friends can often 'mess you up' if they play differently just b/c you are friends and in the hand together.

S

smilekg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very good post. same things happened with my friend. but i understand that in poker you have to play poker, if you are a good player you will learn a lot from this case.

B

BAGELBEAR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do play poker with friends, but I refuse to play on the same table with Tim. If I won he would be upset, more than me if he won. I'm not going to set myself up for the stress that might follow. Better off just playing in different tournaments.

Debby

Z

zex3d

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
by going once a month to play poker. and friendship is only improves although the money at stake is not small (entrance of about $ 100 + -) emotions rage but of course understand that this is entertainment and not a way to earn easy money.

cazual88

cazual88

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker and friendship are not compatible with each other

vezy4iy

vezy4iy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Destroy friendship can money.Poker this hobby, hobbies ...

A

andreii955

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes , in extreme case ,when when you give too much attention poker , they occur because poker discussions, and arguments should shrink during May and pay more attention to your girlfriend or family

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not think that he is a true friend if he was offended when the game was fair !!! we sometimes play poker with friends but we've never had any grudges against each other

Last edited:
D

deeshark420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe you don't think your thinking about it and its just by luck your winning. I've played with people that are friends and just mere acquaintance.Over time you get a pretty good idea of how a person bets certain hands.Being in a hand for mere luck rather than respecting the friend at the table and the bet he places says without a wink dodge you for sure.Just an honest opinion.THERE IS A SUCH THING AS TABLE MANNERS WHERE I COME FROM.GOOD LUCK TO YOU AT THE TABLES ALSO.