Poker requires patience

C

coolcukes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience

Thanks everyone for all your comments. It seems to be a toss up as to wait for your hand and be patient. Everything I have read says to be patient, especially in the early rounds of MTT's. This is coming from pro websites such as Jonathan Little. I am patient and do wait for a premium hand but I also use my gut feeling and watch the cards/actions very closely to see how things are running for me. I also think its a good idea in the early stages of a tourney to weed out the crazy players and the ones betting heavy on a catch. I have cashed with my patience playing, so for now I think I will stick with it.

Pepitcho23

Pepitcho23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
E.E.E rules.-Everyone can get badbeat..
-Even if you play tight...
-Even with AA..or less
Lets luck make the rest.
And use your patience to learn how your opponents play.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are a great way to get patience.
Depends on the freeroll honestly. A lot of freerolls are set up to 'encourage' maniac aggressive play because of small starting stacks and offered rebuys and add-ons. Difficult to have patience with a small starting stack and short bb time structure.
Unfortunately these freeroll structures really makes playing patiently - uncomfortable, especially with maniacs shoving every hand. If a player is attempting to run it up in a freeroll with this structure on one bullet having patience is a strong virtue, but expect at least 30% of the time to catch a bad beat when you get it in good with a premium.
However I have found that freerolls of this nature are GREAT tools for learning TILT control! :)

Discipline is important. Don't call off 30% of your stack preflop with hands like T7 suited.
Excellent point. Play a solid disciplined game, and make moves when the situation is right. Sitting around waiting for a premium hand might let you win that one hand when it comes, but how will it make you feel when you 3x raise your pocket Ks and get a walk? lol
Sit around for another 20 orbits waiting for another premium hand? Blinds creeping up, stack steadily shrinking.
Better to play disciplined situationally rather than NITTY - imo.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I realized recently that patience pokere- it as the brakes of the car, do not stop on time, wait for problems

V

Vander44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The crazy short term variance in poker can mess with your mind. If you play enough hands losing with the best hand is going to happen on a regular basis and mess with your confidence.

Just remember if you play better than your opponents you will win in the long run J

W

wengz2002

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker definitely requires patience and self control... Often times, your emotion can get the best of you...

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You hit it on the head, becasue when you went through 368 hands and no AA those 88 make you think they are AA and you be them as such, or that 78s looks like AKs and you are off and especially if the flop is all low cards and you get that inside gutshot draw...then the other person turns over QQ to your 88 or you make your gutshot and the villan has a flush with an A in it!

Now you are on tilt for the next 3 months..LOL...that is me!

Poker definitely requires patience and self control... Often times, your emotion can get the best of you...

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really enjoy the Freezeout freerolls much better than the rebuy freerolls, because just as you say, you bust a guy out a couple of times they just keep rebuying and go in on junk until they get lucky and bust you, like when your QQ hits a Q on the flop yet villan holds a 9 high flush draw and the board never pairs so your monsted is beat because he never folded and went all in preflop!

makes you want to slap the hell out of him, but now we are on tilt for the next 3 months having nightmares and you don't want to keep reloading like he did!

Depends on the freeroll honestly. A lot of freerolls are set up to 'encourage' maniac aggressive play because of small starting stacks and offered rebuys and add-ons. Difficult to have patience with a small starting stack and short bb time structure.
Unfortunately these freeroll structures really makes playing patiently - uncomfortable, especially with maniacs shoving every hand. If a player is attempting to run it up in a freeroll with this structure on one bullet having patience is a strong virtue, but expect at least 30% of the time to catch a bad beat when you get it in good with a premium.
However I have found that freerolls of this nature are GREAT tools for learning TILT control! :)

Excellent point. Play a solid disciplined game, and make moves when the situation is right. Sitting around waiting for a premium hand might let you win that one hand when it comes, but how will it make you feel when you 3x raise your pocket Ks and get a walk? lol
Sit around for another 20 orbits waiting for another premium hand? Blinds creeping up, stack steadily shrinking.
Better to play disciplined situationally rather than NITTY - imo.

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience and a little effort))):wavey:

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a key to success and that key is called patience no doubt that without patience is not achieved good results and needs a lot of discipline also

Still there dificieis situations to manage due to chance and force the cards of opponents

But if we know how to make sure with the necessary patience, the results will come

:jd4:mateuspoker

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Patience is one of the strengths of poker's nice that time pays off course good players:eek:

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lOT OF PATIENCE! 4 months ago when I was 16, that is Sacrifice of my time playing and grinding. But I quit it’s too much time !

C

curiplop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a game of patience par excellence but to that you have to add other skills such as strategy, probability management, banking management and much but much constancy