Poker Player Motivations

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just love playing, yeah, just LOVE it. Love the competition, learning more about the game, trying to improve, Love it all. Things hit you or they don't, poker just connects with me.

K

KITAYAWA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The motives in poker are not only material, but also many others, for example, to prove to yourself that you can win or psychology with the help of poker, I began to understand people better

A

Azazin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I often play poker. When I don't have time to meet my friends, I play poker online

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
my motivation is to win the tournament that im playing and try to win the chips every time i'm involved whether by bluffing or by winning in sd

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
My motivation is to spend quality time at home.
I like the game, the discipline it involves, the feeling when you win some:).

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Good results and my progress in general are the best motivation for me. The game gives me pleasure and I always enjoy the process.
Good luck.

YuriDitz

YuriDitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My motivation is to constantly improve my game and have a good time, and I hope to participate in offline poker tournaments someday

samircyber9

samircyber9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i actually dont need motivation , poker is just a part of me and will always be, its really fun and time is fast without even noticing that how you know its something you passionate about

A

Azazin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I often play poker. When I don't have time to meet my friends, I play poker online https://suncity-world.com/. I want to say that I don't think that poker is a stupid and gambling game. On the contrary, it's exhilarating and you need to move your convolutions! My main motive is to learn how to bluff and catch other players' bluffs. Plus, if you play professionally, you can earn very decent money. There are many championships and tournaments. So it's also a very profitable game.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi Friend.

What motivates me in this game is to be able to earn a good amount of money, living from this would be a dream, but as long as I can generate a good extra income, I am happy, of course I love the game, I love the competition, I love it from the first time i played it.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A while back, I recall reading The Psychology of Poker by Alan Schoonmaker. In one of the early chapters, there is a discussion on what is motivating you to play poker. I remember he also introduced this idea of 'having the right stuff' to be a winning player. In other words, a winning poker player will typically be able to control their impulses to play badly when they are tired or are just card dead over the course of a session, and look at poker like a business.

Of course, many people will be motivated to do something for multiple reasons. For instance, I enjoy playing competitive games in general, but I also like to win. I also enjoy the aspect of poker that requires you to interact on a human level with the other players (in live games). I also like all of the math and game theory applications of poker, and I feel motivated to improve my understanding of the math in the game.

I was playing a live game a few months ago, and noticed that one of the players seems to really hate the math aspects of the game, and seems to favor the 'outwit' aspect of the game. He really likes finding situations to take advantage of and capitalizes on other players weaknesses. I saw him run 'squeeze' plays in three different hands when it was obvious his opponents were weak over the course of about 4 hours of play.

In this thread, please answer this question:
What do you notice about either your own motivations to play, or things you've noticed in others as you play?
It looks like you're asking what motivates you to play particular poker hands, as opposed to what motivates you to play poker in general. Particularly speaking, that person you described in paragraph three could have been me. It's not that I hate the math. In fact, I believe in the math whole heartedly. Yet, if the situation presents itself, I'll definitely squeeze the weak players. It's based on my analysis of the players and situations more than the cards I'm holding in my hands. Generally speaking, I've purchased a truck and a motorcycle with poker winnings and am now saving up my winnings to buy a blue water sailboat.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My motivation is to have some fun when I have free time. Also the feeling of owning souls.

Alex Okhr

Alex Okhr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love online poker for competitive part of the game. Its about some discipline - almost every day in same time i go to PC and try to my best in cash games or tournament. We all like to win ...but i even like those bad expirience which i recieve...

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not chasing big money in poker. The main thing for me is to win at least some pocket money.