Poker Player Motivations

B

benrasberry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A while back, I recall reading The Psychology of Poker by Alan Schoonmaker. In one of the early chapters, there is a discussion on what is motivating you to play poker. I remember he also introduced this idea of 'having the right stuff' to be a winning player. In other words, a winning poker player will typically be able to control their impulses to play badly when they are tired or are just card dead over the course of a session, and look at poker like a business.

Of course, many people will be motivated to do something for multiple reasons. For instance, I enjoy playing competitive games in general, but I also like to win. I also enjoy the aspect of poker that requires you to interact on a human level with the other players (in live games). I also like all of the math and game theory applications of poker, and I feel motivated to improve my understanding of the math in the game.

I was playing a live game a few months ago, and noticed that one of the players seems to really hate the math aspects of the game, and seems to favor the 'outwit' aspect of the game. He really likes finding situations to take advantage of and capitalizes on other players weaknesses. I saw him run 'squeeze' plays in three different hands when it was obvious his opponents were weak over the course of about 4 hours of play.

In this thread, please answer this question:
What do you notice about either your own motivations to play, or things you've noticed in others as you play?

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My main motive for playing poker at the moment is additional income. Based on this, I cultivate self-confidence, patience, diligence, constant work on my game. After all, despite the motives of a large number of players, such as playing for fun, constant complaints about the RNG, which supposedly does not allow them to win, although the problem is only in themselves. All this gives me the strength to develop.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
For example in cardchat games there's no better motivation than eliminating (or trying to do it) certain individuals.
Usually this works well enough :cool:

S

slothi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just like the game and the competition….if you are playing live you meet many nice people and it’s easy to find new acquaintances and even friends based on the same interest of playing poker.

B

benrasberry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example in cardchat games there's no better motivation than eliminating (or trying to do it) certain individuals.
Usually this works well enough :cool:

One of the fascinating parts about poker for me is trying to understand how a person's motivations change in response to the game that they are in. On many occasions that I can remember, one player may play very erratically, perhaps going all in more often than they 'should', and I've seen the other players almost find a sense of camaraderie in stopping that player from winning more. Against an erratic newcomer, I have seen regs be patient but eventually buckle down and call that player down in the right pot.

I think of this kind of motivation as wanting 'revenge'.

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Help the next

my biggest motivation is to play more everything i win i convert i freeroll for the people who play with me so my biggest motivation in poker is trying to help the next

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a hobby for me and I'm motivated to be able to compete and improve my game at the same time, I'm also motivated by the fact that I can earn extra money for my entertainment without investing my own money! I enjoy playing and socializing with similar interests (poker), it all adds up and motivates me to play poker! Good luck at the tables!

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I don't need a motivation to play poker, I actually play!

A

ALLRUS79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing to have fun is the primary reason many of us started to play poker in the first place. There is a pleasure to the company, and a sense of camaraderie that focuses on the conversation, the food, the drink, and the common experience.
Winning is fun, of course — we'd rather win than lose. But for many, that's not the most important factor. No one likes to lose money, but for players who are playing to have fun, losing is the cost of entertainment. So keep enjoying the game and play poker wisely :)))

Alex.

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
My motivator for playing poker is really making extra money. I wish I could make more money playing poker than my day job, but I must be a lazy ass. I would like to practice. I find time to play the freerolls, but I can't share to watch the tutorial video and make some notes in my notebook. I am writing this so that by re-reading my comment to the text, I understand my problem and begin to act in order to become an ordinary player. I think this is the motivation, thank you for understanding.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I enjoy victory the most, and the feeling of victory is my main motivation. And money is a nice addition to my victories. :)

M

misiomick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My main motivation in playing poker is to learn more and develop my poker skills, if this also leads to winning some money - this is an extra bonus! I was hoping to play poker well enough that I can actually live from this - I am not there yet so I have a another motivator to improve my game :)

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
My motivation is only business. Poker philosophy is to find the key to win by outplaying the opponent, and how I do it is an art. You have to be strong not only when you have a good hand and high mathematical odds, but also when you have a weak hand - then you will be a real champion.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For me the motivation is really simple. As a ex athlete, I just play to win the game. I really don't care care about the money "but that's an added bonus" It the thrill of winning the tournament that drives me.

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know I just think poker is a fascinating game, all relied on the wrong and right choices you make. One right choice could make you a winner, one wrong choice the opposite. It’s just really similar to life obstacles. It’s competitive, it’s not only based on skill but on luck too.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
my biggest motivation is myself and fulfilling my dreams which is to be a professional poker player and playing in the best tournaments in the world!

C

CapdeCraniu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My main motivation is ranking as high as possible.
This asks for discipline and the perspective to survive.
After all, MTTs are just games of survival.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello to all
For me, motivation is passion and adrenaline.

olfabiolo

olfabiolo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest motivation is to one day be able to make a living from poker and give a great life condition to me and my family

M

maroca06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't need motivation to play, it's already in the blood.kkkkkk

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ROI

3 beautiful letters to sum it up for me - its more fun to receive a return from poker than most jobs.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I play poker I have a lot of fun, the motivation I have when I play is always 100%, whatever happens in the game I am always very motivated and eager to play, always the results at the end are going to be very positive if you are very disciplined and work very hard to get them.

T

thesternburglar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My motivation is always about money. Sometimes it's to get out of the house. I am pretty serious at home games which my friends always ridicule me for. They are there for more of a social event while I am not. The only way to keep score is by keep track of your winnings.

B

benrasberry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My motivation is always about money. Sometimes it's to get out of the house. I am pretty serious at home games which my friends always ridicule me for. They are there for more of a social event while I am not. The only way to keep score is by keep track of your winnings.

I have the same issue with friends at board game night >.>

I've found that it's important to strike a balance between serious game mode and the social situation. Your opponents will more happily lose to you if you are nice to them than if you are 100% focused on maximizing your ROI.

I think Harrington wrote about what it's like to be a pro, and how his opponents tried hard to play better specifically against him because there was a realization that the game is just a way for the pro to make their living. Casual players want to have a good time. So it's important to interact with them a little bit to soften their approach to hands they play with you.

T

thesternburglar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed but when you are only playing 5 hands an hour because player are not paying attention it sucks. Often times I deal to speed things up and use the dealer button.