Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yah,... I hit the library for all of my poker books (wow,.. .books at the library,... what a 'novel' idea....took me awhile to figure it out though, lol)
My library also does 'inter-library loans' - 2wks. max. loan,... they order it up from other library.
I find this a great avenue,.. read the books, then decide upon which ones I want to purchase to add to my collection (wish I had thought of that before buying a bunch of poker books that I'll never be bothering to read again, lol).
Harrington on Cash Games Vol. 1,.. sounds good. I've got a small poker bankroll online (approx. $200 on each site, playing on 4sites), and lately have become really frustrated on the sngs, and have been vowing to stick with Mtt's, but wanting to move and adjust to cash games (sng play at low buy-ins just has sooo many morons in them (yah,.. I know "It's a good thing",... but tell me that when you've been repeatedlly sucked out on for weeks while going in with a min. 4:1 fav on the flop,.. getting all the chips in, only to have the other moron rollover a J-4o and have him catch a runner runner fl dr. ---- J-Xo, has KO'd me a half dozen times in the last week alone ---- real tired of this crap!!!).
Just finished reading Gordon's books (from Library),... .good read for sure. Haven't decided if it's going to warrant a purchase,.. quite possibly 'yes'.
see ya,

crockofdoom

crockofdoom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am looking forward to the new Gus Hansen book,'every hand revealed' which comes out next month I think.He explains every hand he played in the 2007 Aussie Millions which he won.Could give a good insight into how these guys think at the tables.

JoeShowdown

JoeShowdown

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Funny how reading something you're interested is fun, while reading textbooks for lame subjects are such a chore

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trying to round out the list, I got these:

* Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hansen

* How to Think like a Poker Pro by Roy Cooke, John Bond

* Women's Poker Night: Stories and Strategies from the Feminine Side of the Felt by Maryann Morrison (Editor)

* Queens Can Beat Kings: Broad-Minded Poker for Winning Women by Susie Isaacs

* Poker's Strangest hands: Extraordinary but True Stories by Graham Sharpe

* 52 Great poker tips: At Home, Tournaments and Online by Lou Krieger

TheseNutsWin

TheseNutsWin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aliengenius what do you think of those 4 books? looks like you read the sitn go one. Did you hear anything about the other 3 ones? if so would you recomend any of these? Thanks!

Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time Volume I by Eric 'Rizen' Lynch

Sit 'n Go Strategy
by Collin Moshman

Heads-Up No-Limit Hold 'em
by Collin Moshman

Tournament Poker: 101 Winning Moves: Expert Plays for No-Limit Tournaments by Mitchell Cogert

R

Rammbone

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well im in buffalo ny, when can i come over and use my library card?

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
New acquisitions:

Elements of Poker by Tommy Angelo
Finally! Was getting bleary eyed trying to find this one. I love this book, it has helped me a lot on all sorts of levels, games, approaches. Tried starting a thread on it here, but didnt fly... If you ever get around to this one AG, and have any thoughts on it, please share. (BTW excerpts are available on the Web all, google it!).

ZZFLOP

ZZFLOP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AG, do you read these or just collect them? If you do read them all, when do you find time to play? I just finished Kill Everyone and Professional No-Limit and thought both were excellent.

I am thinking of getting Kill everyone, I read a review that it covers small ball and that this book is the next step after you have read Harrington and want to take your game to a more LAG level.

True or sales-talk ?

T

txtitan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
books?

what is the best book for long time players but first time readers

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I am looking forward to the new Gus Hansen book,'every hand revealed' which comes out next month I think.He explains every hand he played in the 2007 Aussie Millions which he won.Could give a good insight into how these guys think at the tables.

As I began to read thru the foreword and intro. of the book I became more enthused.... but now over half-way through it I'd say I'm disappointed at best. In my opinion, Gus gives us 1/10th of what he's thinking during these hands.... as shown & played there are many hands that are actually poorly played and the 'thought process' is pretty much a disappointment (although Gus admits the poorly played hands).

It does provide insight into Gus' propensity towards relying on outplaying his opponent's post-flop.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
aliengenius what do you think of those 4 books? looks like you read the sitn go one. Did you hear anything about the other 3 ones? if so would you recomend any of these? Thanks!

Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time Volume I by Eric 'Rizen' Lynch

Sit 'n Go Strategy by Collin Moshman

ogert

The above two books are EXCELLENT!! I'd have to say that they are both my personal favourites BY FAR!!! (that's after having read a few dozen other poker books.... reader would probably be better off to read HOH series first, &/or Phil Gordon's books, Little Green & Little Blue).

I believe there's supposed to be a sequel to "Winning Poker Tournaments"... looking forward to reading it myself as I feel like I can't get enough of this book. I had hopes for Gus' book being more along these lines but in all honesty it doesn't even come close (not by a longshot).

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read Harrington on Hold Em volume 1 (tourneys) and have volume 2, I should be finished up with his Cash Games volume 1 soon and I own volume 2 but I am wondering which you recommend next: (I play NL tourneys & NL cash both live)

Volume 2 of either the tourneys or the cash games by Harrington OR (I just used my pts at ps for this one): The Theory Of Poker by Sklansky?

Thanks.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read Harrington on Hold Em volume 1 (tourneys) and have volume 2, I should be finished up with his Cash Games volume 1 soon and I own volume 2 but I am wondering which you recommend next: (I play NL tourneys & NL cash both live)

Volume 2 of either the tourneys or the cash games by Harrington OR (I just used my pts at ps for this one): The Theory Of Poker by Sklansky?

Thanks.

Professional No limit holdem by Ed Miller for cash games.

The theory of poker is a funny book. Its an absolute must have but you won't learn anything specific from it.

Its the sort of book you will many many times (some months apart), but you never really learn much from it, rather you realise that you are beginning to understand concepts you never understood before.

This is because its a very general poker book. Everything in it is .. well.. the theory of poker!!

The downside is that it dosn't really cover the practice of poker, just the theory.

I think other people who have read it will understand what I'm trying to say.

It is a must have though!!

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Professional No limit holdem by Ed Miller for cash games.

The theory of poker is a funny book. Its an absolute must have but you won't learn anything specific from it.

Its the sort of book you will many many times (some months apart), but you never really learn much from it, rather you realise that you are beginning to understand concepts you never understood before.

This is because its a very general poker book. Everything in it is .. well.. the theory of poker!!

The downside is that it dosn't really cover the practice of poker, just the theory.

I think other people who have read it will understand what I'm trying to say.

It is a must have though!!

Okay TY! I'll put the Sklansky one aside and read it after I've read some on my priority list. I guess I'll finish off the Harrington Series and find a copy of Ed Miller's book while I'm doing that. I do play more cash than tourneys. I play tourneys normally 2x a week, cash 4x a week on avg. I play cheap tourneys on Wed & Thurs nights but I play the more expensive monthly events (Like the Michigan Poker Open is this weekend $550 entry).

GCB

GCB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Found Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players, 21st Century Edition by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth, at Half-Price books yesterday. Read the first few chapters. Sklansky is not a great writer, but he makes it sound like a science, which appeals to me.

My philosophy of things is "learn it as a science, practice it as an art."

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Found Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players, 21st Century Edition by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth, at Half-Price books yesterday. Read the first few chapters. Sklansky is not a great writer, but he makes it sound like a science, which appeals to me.

My philosophy of things is "learn it as a science, practice it as an art."

Try 'The Mathematics of Poker'

Right up your alley!!

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try 'The Mathematics of Poker'

Right up your alley!!

I have this Book Storm,Its by Bill Chen,Let me know if you want to borrow it and Ill bring it to Turtle creek next time I play.It isnt an exciteing read,but breaks down the science very well.

Snow :cool:

Infamous1020

Infamous1020

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
you sir have way too many poker books

Infamous1020

Infamous1020

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Me or Snow??

LOL

I do have one or two!

haha oops no i meant OP. but seriously aliengenius has quite a bit of books. like including regular books ive read i don't think ive even read half of what OP has in his 'poker book library' lol.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha oops no i meant OP. but seriously aliengenius has quite a bit of books. like including regular books ive read i don't think ive even read half of what OP has in his 'poker book library' lol.

I think aliengenius has every book ever written. (some were never even published!!)

I think we should all club together and buy AG a nuclear bomb shelter.

That way if there is ever a war or global disaster, the world's entire poker knowlege can be preserved for future generations :)

Infamous1020

Infamous1020

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think aliengenius has every book ever written. (some were never even published!!)

I think we should all club together and buy AG a nuclear bomb shelter.

That way if there is ever a war or global disaster, the world's entire poker knowlege can be preserved for future generations :)

lol like seriously when i read OP i was like like.

fsdlkjfalkdfjdlsfkjds;fjkadslkfj WOW

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol like seriously when i read OP i was like like.

fsdlkjfalkdfjdlsfkjds;fjkadslkfj WOW

He hasn't read them. They are just lined up on his bookshelf.

Its an intimidation tactic he uses when hosting home games :D