Poker: is it serious?

mavrulit

mavrulit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello girls and boys! I probably won't surprise you with my question, but I'm wondering - do you consider poker to be a serious occupation, a way to earn money, or is it more entertainment?
I'm asking this question because my loved ones think it's all child's play! I don't want to prove anything to them! But I'm a little afraid of my future! Because I have health problems, I can not fully work. I receive disability benefits and don't make much money online as a moderator. Benefits in our country are very small and you can't earn much as a moderator, about 2 dollars a day, but in a good scenario, you basically get 70-80 cents a day.
As you can see, I didn't come into poker for fun! And it's only recently that I've started to get something! I earned my little bonroll from scratch playing freerolls, about $10 in two months! Yes, I agree, the amount is quite small! But before I went constantly in the red, and now in black! And it makes me very happy! But what if it's just temporary success? What if I wasted so much time and effort? What if I move further in the limit and there I go into a deep minus, and time runs out? I'm not afraid of losing money, I'm afraid of losing time! Time I could have spent doing something else...
I love poker very much and do not consider it entertainment. I already wrote here in some posts that when I play in long tournaments, I get damn tired! But I love this activity! but my enthusiasm is not shared by my family, as I wrote above!
You are welcome! Help to understand this situation! How should I proceed?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker is always going to have a time cost associated with it. Additionally there are always going to be players, no matter how miniscule the payout, who believe it's good strategy to bleed their time clock every hand in the hope of cashing. YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL over these players. If time is your most important consideration, poker is probably not for you. Whatever you choose to do, good luck.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that online poker is so diverse that it can be used as the main form of income or additional income, the choice is yours.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
and very seriously, before my family members thought the same way, they always said that this is a delay in life that this is a joke and bla bla, until I win a 1500$ tournament and withdraw a little more than 6 thousand reais and show them the statement and I said that this money I won in the game that was going to delay my life that this money was from the game of no future as they said, and nowadays they don't talk about my poker anymore!

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker can be a very serious source of income.
Anyone who consistantly makes at least 1000$+ per month is a serious proffesional.
500-1000 semi-pro
200-500 not sure how to call this but its definately not enough to pay the bills and food.
under 200 hobby player.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends. A highly skilled invidual in any profession or domain spend time to learn many skills so is the same with poker. Without putting the work is hard to say poker can become the main income. At least not for a long run.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Poker is a big industry. It is no joke. You can google to see the figures.

Now, if you want to make a living off of it as a player and you are not a born savant for it you will have to study a lot. Daily.

When you go down this path though, you also must be aware that most poker players are not profitable long term. They can not be. But those that are, can easily make a living off of it.

Study. Go through hands after your sessions, simulate them to see the odds, see if your plays are EV+ or not. Manage your bankroll. Start with a small one that you can afford to lose to see if you can be profitable. If you can go from there. If you can not, move to other things.

Good luck

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
There are different people. Some play just for fun, while others play seriously for the purpose of making money

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker can provide a serious income for some people, if they are consistently profitable. For me, it is just for fun (and I am consistently profitable, but not enough to make a living). I think I would not like the stress of depending on it for a living.

M

Mazza51

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

Seriously yes. However, if you don't win a significant amount of tournaments, it's still not the time to dedicate yourself only to this sport.

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is poker serious?

It sure can be! It depends on how much time and energy you dedicate to playing it. You can be a recreational player and still do well…. Obviously need some luck to make a final table! When money is involved it is serious… :D

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Every field takes time and effort. You can't just become an Olympic champion. You need to work in several directions so that in case of any crisis you have a backup plan. And as for the parents, there will be a result - there will be no questions, but the main thing is not to lose your head, clearly understand and control your emotions, gambling has a downside, which is why relatives are worried.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For some people, poker is a means of survival. For other people, poker is entertainment. 50/50

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello girls and boys! I probably won't surprise you with my question, but I'm wondering - do you consider poker to be a serious occupation, a way to earn money, or is it more entertainment?
I'm asking this question because my loved ones think it's all child's play! I don't want to prove anything to them! But I'm a little afraid of my future! Because I have health problems, I can not fully work. I receive disability benefits and don't make much money online as a moderator. Benefits in our country are very small and you can't earn much as a moderator, about 2 dollars a day, but in a good scenario, you basically get 70-80 cents a day.
As you can see, I didn't come into poker for fun! And it's only recently that I've started to get something! I earned my little bonroll from scratch playing freerolls, about $10 in two months! Yes, I agree, the amount is quite small! But before I went constantly in the red, and now in black! And it makes me very happy! But what if it's just temporary success? What if I wasted so much time and effort? What if I move further in the limit and there I go into a deep minus, and time runs out? I'm not afraid of losing money, I'm afraid of losing time! Time I could have spent doing something else...
I love poker very much and do not consider it entertainment. I already wrote here in some posts that when I play in long tournaments, I get damn tired! But I love this activity! but my enthusiasm is not shared by my family, as I wrote above!
I believe that a lot of people play poker and they all pursue different goals, someone plays for fun and considers it their hobby, and someone treats the game as a job and their income! I think that it all depends on the person himself, and what goal he pursues! If you want to seriously earn money in poker, then you should understand that it will take a lot of time to learn and understand the game, but not the fact that you can earn big money playing poker! But if you're just asking if you can make poker your main source of income, then everyone will tell you that you can, you just need to put in a lot of effort! Good luck at the tables and I hope you do well!

mavrulit

mavrulit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that a lot of people play poker and they all pursue different goals, someone plays for fun and considers it their hobby, and someone treats the game as a job and their income! I think that it all depends on the person himself, and what goal he pursues! If you want to seriously earn money in poker, then you should understand that it will take a lot of time to learn and understand the game, but not the fact that you can earn big money playing poker! But if you're just asking if you can make poker your main source of income, then everyone will tell you that you can, you just need to put in a lot of effort! Good luck at the tables and I hope you do well!

Thanks to you and everyone who responded! I realized a long time ago that there are many difficulties in any business! And they need to be overcome in order to succeed. And money has never been given to anyone just like that, especially big ones.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Each limit takes time to conquer. You have only passed the first stage, managed to build up a small bankroll in freerolls, you may lose it in the next stage, but if your winnings in freerolls are regular, it's okay. I think the microlimit will take a little time. At this limit, you can earn from 100 to 300 dollars, but of course you need complete concentration and understanding of each of your actions. But I will tell you that you will lose a lot of time, you can really make money at medium and high limits, and in order to play at these limits you need fundamental knowledge and great gaming experience.
My advice is don't waste your time playing poker unless you're prepared to face a lot of setbacks and obstacles from your environment.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Playing poker can be a serious occupation, of course. For good players it is a good way to earn money and to pay bills. Of course it is very hard and most players play for for fun. But even if you just earn a small amount of money per month or year, it is still hard earned additional money, right?

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
don't mind your love ones, as long as you love the game just keep playing until you improve and later on you will be a winning player

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it is entertainment first and if I win money while playing it is a bonus. Don't get me wrong, I take it seriously but the reality is that it is hard to win money regularly playing poker. I love playing in big tourneys like the Sunday Million or the Sunday Storm. I just know that it is very difficult to win on a regular playing online competitive poker!

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
choosing poker and work, i would choose a stable, useful job

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a very serious occupation for me! After all, for more than 10 years I have been living only on the income from playing poker!

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
The problem with you should be different ... what do you do when you lose everything? I say this because as the others have written, you have started to gain something and you are on an upward trend, but know that this will not always be the case! Don't be fooled! Are you ready for that? I don't think you should rely on poker earnings for the expenses of your daily life, these earnings should be in addition to what you regularly earn from a job. Good luck!

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So may factors to consider when deciding on whether to commit to developing your game with an ambition to becoming a professional player these days but ultimately without a bankroll - its a slog.
Its possible - no one can deny that as you hear of unknowns making it big but those are not the normal - there are thousands of players out there today who make a living off either live or online poker (and many do both) and stick to specific limits and grind away.
A large number of players who make it big also come from a cash game background and start at the very lowest buy ins and work extremely hard to make money.
Also making a living obviously means different to each of us - for some, it may mean supporting a family, for others - paying the basics (bills/food/etc) and using what disposable income they get each week/month on leisure or other.
I think many of us all have that pipe dream of making it big and along the way we can use some science to test where we are with a specific amount of BR and a specific variant of poker to sensibly manage that money, re-investment is also key but speaking as someone who has once (and only once) won a large sum at poker - for me - it was about seeing something tangible from those winnings and i did not reinvest back - i have no regrets at all about that as there is more to life than poker.

Good luck on your journey my friend, to make it big - the key ingredient is patience :)