Poker insults, you're a donk, bad, you're a fish.

mountainfox

mountainfox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does bother me a little, but I would just turn off chat.

R

Richard Grant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lot of name calling goes on but usually when somebody has got beat. How did you call that raise with that?! So lucky you donk! Its quite funny when somebody goes full Phil Hellmuth online :)

saha2000

saha2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me that it is most often said in the nerves after losing a hand.
I see it more as a childish behavior of someone who can't lose and
I usually don't pay attention to it.

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regardless how good of a player you are, letting someone that is calling you names get to you is just allowing someone else to win the mental game over you. In poker, you have to be able to weather those kinds of players to be successful. If they bother you, you may end up on tilt, just like they want.

Shrug it off and play your game

KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that you do not need to pay attention to this censorship. Do not pay attention to these illiterate players

det0nate

det0nate

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont worry about chat at the poker table - i find its the donks calling others insults :/

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its an insult ,but when you reply that way you make your opponent angry .nice answer

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad loosers players will always be here....If you wanna win first you must accept when you lost....Ignore the "small" persons......

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Insults

I turn my chat off and hide all pictures 100 per cent of the time. I am pretty sure everyone thinks I am stuck up or can not speak English. I do not worry about being called fish, donk or anything I just play. Capo1014

teteuc2

teteuc2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every good player used to be a bad player. We all start somewhere.

I think it's foolish to insult bad players because bad players are what makes poker profitable for the good players in the long run.

I get called a donk sometimes but I just hide my chat 99% of the time.

I agree with your point of view, friend.

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is an old good one for this:
If Rambo was turning his head on every voice, he would never get to the end.
Original was: The dogs bark, the carinval goes.

L

lusquinha2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion there isn't a donkey, fish and all these kind of bad words, for me these players just want to gamble and have some fun. Of course it's annoying af losing ridiculous flips against them, but that's life

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am sure anyone that has played any poker has had these words thrown at them. But why is that even consider an insult? It is like telling someone your are bad at cycling, or fishing. Yes, we all been there, we are learning. The pros were bad at one point or another.

But why is it on a poker table being "bad", is seen as a negative thing. I usually reply, "yes I am, I am trying to be better." If I bother to reply.

I'm of the same opinion, I don't care what people say at the poker table, it just doesn't matter to me

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think any insult is very annoying, that's why I hardly respond even when I win to avoid any kind of insult.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Insults

I always play with the chat turned off. Not interested in socializing while in the heat of a game. Too busy analyzing the players: Determining which players are tight and loose. Can I get away with stealing the big blind with minimum raises? That sort of thing. I try to determine what I can get away with during the early blinds, then capitalize on what I've learned once the blinds get big.

Even though I turn off the chat, I still get mojis. I think they're funny, and they help me to determine if a player is mature or immature, sophisticated or unsophisticated. Guess I could do the same thing with chat, if I was interested. Just not interested.

Hope this helps.

olewerkrd

olewerkrd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, it makes no sense to respond to any statements. Chat is minimized during the game, I open the maximum in order to take notes in a notebook.

I

ios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Insulting at poker table is usually a frustration of guy who lost hand or was forced to fold. It says much more about the insulter (lacking in selfcontrol and emotions controlling) than about insulted one.

C

chuckycheese

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everybody is different think some people can get upset because they are losing money venting or maybe underage if resorting to severe childishness or they are on an upswing getting ahead of themselves thinking they are best players in the world who knows.
Normally the person being abusive is just wasting their time and look bad.
Mostly these type of comments are just harmless poker lingo though.
you can usually report this behavior to the moderator and they will get on them also you can block their chat

magnetoak47

magnetoak47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm play with a weak player I will never insult him. Instead I'm going to be very friendly with him, after all, he is a big friend of your bankroll, maybe the best friend. Anyway both in the tables as in life I always try to be friendlly and helpfull with other people. Spread good energies, love and things and this is all you will getback

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They’ve tried to insult me several times too and I know I shouldn’t, but I’m upset myself. Of course, this is exactly the purpose of such words, because if a person is nervous he makes more mistakes.

R

rmbmr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am sure anyone that has played any poker has had these words thrown at them. But why is that even consider an insult? It is like telling someone your are bad at cycling, or fishing. Yes, we all been there, we are learning. The pros were bad at one point or another.

But why is it on a poker table being "bad", is seen as a negative thing. I usually reply, "yes I am, I am trying to be better." If I bother to reply.

It's apart of the game. Michael Jordan talks trash :D

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Do you play at the micro levels?
Aren’t all of us at that level a fish compared to a professional?
I had a player yesterday calling me and others a fish or donkey, and he was what is called ‘a call station’.
Just involved in nearly every pot and bluffing a lot.
Thankfully I know enough to see this in their play and caught them bluffing with pocket aces. We were on SnG and unfortunately he came 3rd. Would have loved to catch the player before they cashed.
It’s sweet to catch them.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I tell you what I noticed over many years, in 95% only the bad players do allow themselves to say such phrases. So if you see someone says "you're donk/fish!", it's a good sign, that he is a "donk/fish" himself, who not able to control his emotions after having a bad beat.

The good regulars won't say a word because of the following reasons:
  1. they see bad beats so much more often, than recreational/bad player and have so much more experience, that it became a routine for them;
  2. they are much more aware of the importance to control their own emotions while playing and bad beats hardly bring them out of balance;
  3. they remember to "don't tap the tank", which in other words means you shouldn't tell the bad players, that they're playing bad. Simply because you will harm only yourself by doing that. After you pointing on that, someone is playing bad only two things can happen:
  • "the fish" gets upset and quit your table / or in worst case poker and you'll lose the great source of income;
  • he starts thinking "maybe he is right and I should improve my game in that spot or in general" and it will make life harder for you again! So, as you can see, saying to bad players, that they're playing bad, it's like shooting in your feet really.
Even Doyle Brunson yet in 1979 in his legendary "Supersystem" book wrote: Never point on the mistakes of the bad players, even if you really wish to. Better say them "well played!" instead and let them do those mistakes over and over again! It will print you money over time.