K

KALUGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
My view is that poker is about luck, but it's also about skill and not by accident

B

benjustben

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
both
it deff takes some kind of skillz
im not very lucky in general
but when i do catch a break
finish 1st

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Skill is required to regularly make it to the final table.

:top:

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Been playing some mtts recently and have considered myself to run unlucky in 75 percent of those, being knocked out in 2 or 3 handed poker by a 2 and 1 outter on the river. However ive watch some replays over the weeks and also view the placings in some of the mtts and have seen some players repeating top places and even final tables in multiple tournaments. So my question is how do they do it?, what advanatages do they have? is it all skill? is luck playing a major part??. ..

You can't really call it luck if it happens repeatedly. Luck is always involved but you have to give credit where credit is due.
Look at it in baseball terms. When a baseball player has a lot of home runs you think he is a great skillful player. Those home run hitters also have the most strike outs. I bet those final table players have just as many or more games where they didn't finish at all

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its part luck but in my opinion mostly skill. When sitting at a nlhe table you have many decisions to make almost every hand. If you can make good calls you can potentially take down huge pots.

B

brianthompson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your making it to the final table consistantly then its for sure skill, but you cant get there without luck.

W

Weee3eee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been studying the MTT games in an exploitive point of view and there is a ton of skill. I have found that the average player has their thoughts playing poker is a bit backward thinking.

Most poker players come in and think about their cards. That is it. They look at their cards and they just bet their standard bet, right? The flop comes and either you hit or you don't. More times than not, you don't so you cbet. Then here is where it gets sticky. The guy folds sometimes, the guy calls sometimes or he ewe 3bets. Then it puts us in the spot. This is a typical session for most players, right?

Well let's think about position. Don't be the above guy. Be the guy in position. Be the one who applies pressure to the guy betting out of position.

Does it matter what cards you have? Well. It shouldn't be your priority. It should be this. The guy that placed the bet. Does he limp too much? Does he play hands too much? Does he open fold a lot?

Now where is the focus? On those two cards? No it's your position.

Position is first thing you should think about, second thing is your opponents play. Is he aggressive is he passive? Is he table captain? What is going on with this opponent? Does he limp in a lot?

Then you look at your cards and your stack. Your chips are your bullets. Your cards are simply the gun powder. We give too much credit on the cards. Yes they are important. They aren't going to win your tournaments. The only time those two cards win the tournament is the final showdown heads up to win. Those are the only time the two cards in fact matter.

Aleksandr Sarpov

Aleksandr Sarpov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck or Skill

I've been thinking. Many say that victory depends on skill. I disagree. More precisely: skill is important, but luck is more important. Yesterday I played spin & go 1 $ buyin. At one point I had 20 chips left against 1480 and I was able to recoup and win. All because I was lucky and there was a good card. I think skill is important, but luck is more important. Anyone interested I can send the story of hands.
And what do you think is more important and why?

leshausa03

leshausa03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is important, but at long-distance skill is more important.

J

Just_a_Tom

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually commented on a similar question on cardschat last month. You hear the pros even say "Better to be lucky than good" I disagree. Skill seems to last longer than luck. When we talk about bad luck we're talking about a whole other monster. No matter how much skill one has, if one runs into bad luck, it can wipe them out. But you can win a tournament with no luck, and great skill, but not with great skill and bad luck. My post may be a tad confusing, Hope readers understand What I'm saying. In a nutshell, I believe it's best to have lots of skill and no bad luck, than lots of luck and little skill.

Aleksandr Sarpov

Aleksandr Sarpov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is important, but at long-distance skill is more important.
I disagree. A few years ago I played at PokerShark. Game on free chips in the social network "VKontakte". In tournaments, each hand made all in, even 38 different suits. So I got into the first hundred participants from several thousand. Then I was very lucky.

Aleksandr Sarpov

Aleksandr Sarpov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually commented on a similar question on cardschat last month. You hear the pros even say "Better to be lucky than good" I disagree. Skill seems to last longer than luck. When we talk about bad luck we're talking about a whole other monster. No matter how much skill one has, if one runs into bad luck, it can wipe them out. But you can win a tournament with no luck, and great skill, but not with great skill and bad luck. My post may be a tad confusing, Hope readers understand What I'm saying. In a nutshell, I believe it's best to have lots of skill and no bad luck, than lots of luck and little skill.
you are absolutely right. Ideally a good skill and a lot of luck. It's a pity this combination is very rare

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is certainly an important factor, but the skill is more important.

aslanvanacha

aslanvanacha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
accordingly i prefer to believe in Skill ☝️but to use your skill with luck is the best possible way also ☝️ more important thing is your emotional condition ☝️if you are control this 3 you become very professional player ☝️[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji92]

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I disagree. A few years ago I played at PokerShark. Game on free chips in the social network "VKontakte". In tournaments, each hand made all in, even 38 different suits. So I got into the first hundred participants from several thousand. Then I was very lucky.
You played "bingo freeroll" here.. That's not poker. Put real money on the table and then play all-in with 83 lol

Vlad symrak

Vlad symrak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is always in second place after the skill and in a percentage relationship, too. Today is lucky, but tomorrow there is no, and skill is a constant value !!!

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill, when you play with the hand you've been dealt.And good luck when you pull the ACE out of his sleeve.You have to play and not rely on chance.

Aleksandr Sarpov

Aleksandr Sarpov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
accordingly i prefer to believe in Skill ☝️but to use your skill with luck is the best possible way also ☝️ more important thing is your emotional condition ☝️if you are control this 3 you become very professional player ☝️[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji92]
Interesting point of view. About the emotional state I did not think before. The more I lose, the angrier I get. The more I want to all-in to answer all-in for anger even with a bad card

Aleksandr Sarpov

Aleksandr Sarpov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play a lot and regularly, it can be seen from the results.
I play little and rarely. On this I rely more on luck. But I hope that at this forum I will be able to learn something

Aleksandr Sarpov

Aleksandr Sarpov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played "bingo freeroll" here.. That's not poker. Put real money on the table and then play all-in with 83 lol
That was earlier. Now I play a small spin & go 1-3 $. In the game for money, I'm still a beginner. But I put all-in on K2 and won just that) but I try to do it only in desperate situations, when the chips remained at 2-3 bets

Top 10 Games