Poker and fear

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fear plays a very important role in poker. Studies have shown that we experience a higher value of pain from losing X than we gain joy from winning X. This is why playing with play money is of little value. It's also why free rolls tend to have such wild play. Even if you lose, you didn't really lose anything. Fear also keeps us aware of the "risk" part. We should always be thinking of our poker hands as risk vs. reward or +EV vs. -EV. So, it basically helps keep us from making stupid moves. However, we should never let fear get in the way of the correct play. So often we'll see a short stack trying a regular raise instead of a shove or we'll see somebody lose a big hand and then limp with the QQ instead of raising it. If this is happening, you need to correct it. Fear should help you stop and think about the move you want to make, but you should never make an incorrect play due to fear of losing your chips.

bianconi_10

bianconi_10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fear is an unpleasant and undesirable feeling, which can be a major obstacle in the pursuit of success. Τhe attempt to defeat fear even if it is unsuccessful is enough to defeat the fear, however strange it sounds. From the beggining of our poker course, we try to get better and to reach a good game level. We are facing many fears in every game which are defeated progressively. I think poker is a very good exercise for trying to win and eliminate any kind of fear! What do you think?

I think the most feelings about fear in poker comes to necessecities to win. Its because that the player have to be conscious about our buy in and why he is playing...

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I believe it comes down to what/which fear I have. Is it the fear of making a mistake by playing an unfamiliar limit? Playing an alternate version of poker? Fear of a particular player at the table and not embarrassing myself? 'Is this AKo really going to hold up if they call'? I mean once I enter a tourney or ring-game that $ is gone. It's up to me to protect the existing stack while trying to double-up and beyond. This is when fear should transition into anticipation.
Fear could be a harsh term for a lot of poker-players. It has a negative connotation to it. Perhaps we can eliminate fear and replace it with... what am I saying, we want other players to FEAR us when we make a nice raise and/or re-raise. Maybe that's it, we should be concerned w/instilling FEAR! Anyone agree? :thrasher:

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not understand how to play poker, and at the same time experience some kind of fear, even if it is a loss! play for money you don’t mind losing, or don’t play at all !!! Of course, if you are afraid of losing money, you will make the wrong decisions and eventually lose !!!

M

Mongoloider

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fear is an unpleasant and undesirable feeling, which can be a major obstacle in the pursuit of success. Τhe attempt to defeat fear even if it is unsuccessful is enough to defeat the fear, however strange it sounds. From the beggining of our poker course, we try to get better and to reach a good game level. We are facing many fears in every game which are defeated progressively. I think poker is a very good exercise for trying to win and eliminate any kind of fear! What do you think?

I believe that fear is necessary for human survival, fear is what makes you not jump off a plane without a parachute or other equipment. And bringing to poker, a little fear is always good, too much aggression blinds you in many situations, fear is what makes you think two or three times before making a risky bet. It is always a matter of balance.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think so maybe some of the fear in the game will pass, but the players will still have fear, but others may think and think differently, I had a strong fear when I first started playing poker about 10 years ago, but now I play I boldly understand the game, calculate the outs and play more confidently, but in my game everything is exactly there is fear, although it is not big, but there is

JOINMYTABLE

JOINMYTABLE

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i aint call that fear. Its kinda different feeling and its amazing.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Fear is a normal emotion that everyone has. If you manage as it should, ultimately, you will win it.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In principle, over time, I lost the fear of losing the stack in the game. Man gets used to everything. But recently I had to transfer a nervous 7 hours in the game in the race for tickets to a very expensive tournament.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FEAR its always in play! I don't feel any fear unless I got the nuts but preflop I am scared till the river shows...

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Experiencing fear is a natural human condition. Here are just in different situations, we experience it in different degrees. Until the loss of consciousness and even cardiac arrest. As long as there is fear, then man exists. This is the natural instinct of self-preservation.

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are times when we play at power we are afraid of losing and more when we have no money to support us in another tournament ... there are times that overcoming fears is the best engine to play hands that can actually leave us out of a tournament, but in life if we do not take risks, we will never find out what could have happened ..

D

Different Now

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I don't have ANY fear when I play and I assure you there's no ego here. My eyes are open and I'm watching and I gain a sense and hold of the game that is so intuitive that I'm reading situations and holdings like a book. In 17 years I've never used odds (never even bothered to learn). Not because I dont think they're helpful, I n fact think they're a game changer in anyone's arsenal. But I personally feel that I would lose my finger on the pulse if I were to approach the game on a mathematical level. My point is that because if this style there is no fear, at least in speaking for myself. I'm very comfortable at ALL times. Whatever action your making against me I'm watching and my poker senses are keen, and I'll act accordingly. There is no fear for me in those moments. When the important stuff FOR ME is done, that is the decisions that were made, and the cards come how they will there is no fear there either. It's a TV soap drama, if I made the right call I dont care that he sucked out on the river, I'm obsessed with making the right decision there is no fear in that state of mind you see? Disappointment. That's one that DOES come up again and again. Disappointment, in making the wrong call or knowing the right one but acting too fast for you to catch yourself in taking a second to see it. Mayor Dissapointment.

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion to be a good player you need mostly skills and strategy, also in my opinion the feelings are your enemies. To be a good player you really shouldn't listen to them.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Thee
The only thing i fear in poker, specially online, is the.........River
I always get knocked out on the river
Rgds

F

Frankie Potts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To solve the issue of fear you need to follow a similar Inject the Logic process that I outlined for tilt, only this time by injecting answers when worry, anxiety, or fear shows up. Essentially you need to resolve the underlying issue of fear by identifying the question(s) in your game and then answering them. Or if they are unanswerable questions, figure out why you even want to know it right now. The answers to these questions become the logic statements you need to inject in order to eliminate that uncertainty and subsequent anxiety that evolves from an unanswered question.

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fear is always present anywhere, I think the only way to overcome it is to be brave

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just like there is no crying in baseball, there is no fear in poker. Plenty of other things to bring on fear, like the dark, boogie man and clowns. Never thought a heighten emotion was a bad thing.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no fear in poker, there is only adrenaline and disappointment