Poker on an empty stomach

stellerteller

stellerteller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This may seem pretty funny and I probably wouldn't consider myself the least bit supersticious but I have to say that I play amazing poker when I don't eat breakfast and just have coffee. If I wait a little longer for lunch, I tend to play much better than if I eat while I am playing. Does anyone else notice a trend like that? Do you have anything that you have to do to keep up your streak? Just wondering... that is mine.

slgalt

slgalt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a wreck if I don't eat. Although too much food can make you sleepy. And I don't play well if I'm eating while playing.

smallteene

smallteene

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play good poker when I am not eating while I play. I have figured out that much when it comes to food and poker. =) Oh! Less liquids too!

K

KevinLush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It definitely is going to be different between different people. It is a personal thing. If I did not eat before playing I would play quicker and more reckless just thinking about what is on the other end, food!

D

Dam Yankee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whatever works for u! I eat - some of the tourney's are just too long for me to get thru w/out eating. But, if it's working for you - stick w/ it...

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still like to have some munchies beside the mouse just to take the edge off.

What ever works best for you then stick with it, or, pass the peanuts!

sharkyo01

sharkyo01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play on a empty stomach if i can, makes me more alert.

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe with an empty stomach the caffeine is hitting you more. Personally, I think caffeine really helps me play, especially multi-tabling cash table.

Juniorsdaddy

Juniorsdaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will have a snack while playing. Since I generally fold most hands immediately, having a bite to eat passes some of the time in between hands. Plus, I stay more focused when I am not hungry.

G

Grindit9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They also say chewing gum makes you focus better.

N

nobby1510

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Must admit - if i have just eaten I dont play as good. Bit too relaXed i think. A few beers is just right!

Maid Marian

Maid Marian

RIP Baby BooBoo
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eating while I play poker is really distracting and tends to make me more tired...so I'm better when I play on an empty stomach! I usually like sipping on some Crystal light lemonade as I play...not too much though!:D

smallteene

smallteene

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eating is way too distracting, especially if you are eating finger foods like fries or chicken fingers...lol. A few beers is also very fun poker...only a few.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you eat a good meal before playing, your mind will be more alert and you will make better decisions. So playing poker on an empty stomach is actually a bad thing.

It's like taking a test in high school when you were really hungry, you tend to not do so well on the test.

Implied Odds3

Implied Odds3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usualy eat while playing.. idk, it just makes me play better, haha.

L

luckforsome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...im the complete oppisite to be honest...If i dont eat, i get very distracted and fustrate very easy...plau im counting the odds on how many times my stomach will make noise, instead of the odds in poker :)

T

thejuanupsman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually find that I play a little better when I am tired or sick. It sounds weird but I think because it requires me to focus more I am less likely to make some loose calls or reckless bluffs than I might otherwise do. The longer I play the better I seem to do too. Which is why I only play freerolls early in the day and play buy ins later.

aseablom

aseablom

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a big guy so I just like to eat period. Poker or no poker

Elliegurl

Elliegurl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol...I always have a good game if I eat and take a nap before a tournament. :p

wachinpntdry

wachinpntdry

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually find that I play a little better when I am tired .......
The longer I play the better I seem to do too......

+1 to that.... all of my best winning sessions playing live were when I was nearly falling asleep....except for one big tourny cash, same is true for online play...
get into that zone between awake and sleeping...get all zen and what not

I'm a big guy so I just like to eat period. Poker or no poker

+2 to that one :eating:

wachinpntdry

wachinpntdry

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol...I always have a good game if I eat and take a nap before a tournament. :p

if that's true....I'm puzzled as to why you dont have a good game every time you play........:confused:

cause you eat then nap every day

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never really thought about this, but I couldn't enjoy the game on an empty stomach. I have low blood sugar, so empty stomach = feeling miserable.

canucks921

canucks921

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always have to have a coke zero by the computer, in a glass with ice. I have had great sucess while having this at the table so a few months ago I just made it a tradition to have a coke zero with ice.

moemtg

moemtg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is funny... I'm like that too

Personally I never eat breakfast... I have been this way all my life unless when I was a little kid my parents FORCE FED me or wouldnt let me do anything unless I eat breakfast... LOOOONG time ago

Anyway, back to the point, I then started drinking coffee in the morning and la la la... but I suffer from panic attacks.

My doctor put me on xanax 3 years ago now so I can't drink caffiene and now that im tolerating the xanax it helps me play a lot better (it relaxes you) and I dont ever go on tilt.

That's how I get by in short,
Moe:cool:

Mac Poker