Are poker coaches scam artists?

O

oroochimaru

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some poker tutoring websites might be able to help you develop quickly if you're a complete newbie, in my opinion.
The majority of poker players who instruct do so because they are unable to support themselves through the game.
They either aren't confident enough, can't handle the swings or put in the right volume to beat the volatility or they are unable to cheat as easily as they once could since modern poker clients are so sophisticated. In order to supplement their income, they create poker teaching websites.
The few successful individuals who genuinely understand how to do this consistently well won't ever educate you fully.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think so, because poker is a game of luck, often when you win a tournament, it's because you were very lucky.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is my personal opinion. I think there are some poker coaches out there that are scammers and there are some that actually want you to improve your game to the next level. But here's my problem with them, majority and a whole lot of poker coaches talk as if there game is guaranteed that you'll win and always be successful if you play and follow what they did which is just not always the case. I feel like poker coaches prey on beginners or bad players to exploit and take your money on selling you this dream that can or cannot come true and make extra money outside of the poker world and sucker people.

I never had a personal poker coach but I did read from poker magazines and watched the pros play on YouTube and learned certain things. I learned more about the game of poker from trial and error from fake money apps for practicing and even real money gambling. The one thing I learned is that nobody can teach you how to be yourself in this game but yourself.

You have to utilize and do what works for you. What works for top pro players like the Negreanu, Ivey, Holz, Hansen, Koon, Esfiandiari, Dwan, and all those pros I just listed might not work for you or vice versa. What works for you might not work for the pros I just listed. There will always be winners and losers in this game.

In conclusion I think you can learn from poker coaching but I'm fully aware that these poker coaches are BS'ing around and make it seem like if you play like this poker player you will win all the time. But what people fail to realize is that these poker coaches don't talk about is every situation is different. From players, variance, the cards, the positions, just because something worked for one player is not guaranteed to work for you. Your situation might be the same but the outcome can become different and you fail.

So what do y'all think? Are poker coaches scammers just trying to sell you a dream and make more money?
I have been a member of Poker Coaching for 3 years and in that time, my game has grown and blossomed to an extent I never knew even existed. I used to read strategy books and the magazines and watch the You Tube videos, but getting legitimate coaching will make a tremendous difference in your game. You can learn by trial and error, but it is more efficient and effective to have someone train you. Compare it to anything else: you can learn to throw a curve-ball by trial and error, but you can learn how to properly throw a curve ball much quicker if you have a coach to train and guide you. I could learn martial arts by watching films and imitating what they do, but that is not going to be as effective as having an instructor to teach me proper technique.

I will say that not all coaching is the same and you should investigate any program before investing in it. I tried Poker Coaching as a regular member for a year before moving up to Premium. But, even before that, I had tried some other coaching sites. I am not going to go on a rant explaining why I think PC is the best (which I do), I will suffice it to say that we could all use improvement, even the pros (DNegs for example) have coaching.

One last thing is that I think everyone concedes that you will not always win. You cannot win every tournament, you will not profit every time you sit in a Ring game, you cannot win every SNG. The purpose of coaching is to learn to play the best that you can play. Winning will come in the long run.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
You cannot blame a poker coach, it is not his fault, it is the demand and supply in the market, it is a job to make money, he teaches you the rules of poker, but ultimately at the table it is your decision how you act on what you have learned

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I really don't think that all poker coaches are scammers. In life there are scammers and in poker there must be scammers too.
Indeed, they teach poker and a lot of people want to learn that they do it.
I wouldn't hire one for myself. This isn't out of pride, or because I believe them all in poker, but because there are situations in poker that no coach can explain to you.
If you don't believe what I'm saying, ask a poker coach for an opinion about a badbeat and I'll give you the same opinion that he also gives you without being a poker coach. The answer is “he was unlucky”
To learn about positions, strategies, raise, call and other things about poker, at least I just have to watch MTT videos, for example, because I watch a lot, I watch books or good articles, especially I try to see articles by people with a lot of experience in poker like Doyle Brunson, for me throughout history “Mr. Player” Daniel Negreanu in a report he described Brunson as the link between the history of poker and the present. By watching Brunson's experiences in poker you can learn more than in any course.
Trial and error for me is a matter of learning how to play poker.
Look, I just participated in a tournament that was left out. I did everything the manuals say in UTG with AA Abro 4bet, in BB the villain goes there and calls. The villain shows the K9 27K8K confrontation... Consequence of me. Now bring me a coach who will analyze the move I made and tell me that I didn't have bad luck.
That's right brother, this game will sometimes give you joy and often not so much. But what is still is a passion and I am glad to have that passion.
Cheers;);););)

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how is poker classes ran. do they play you heads up vs bots? and grade you'r skill? I've seen poker coaching site but don't know how they are actually ran?

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As in every field of knowledge, there are good people and there are bad people, you have to know how to choose a poker coach, you will not go with just anyone, also always a poker teacher will help you to improve your game and you decide to execute it according to your level and experience at the tables adapting your game to face the villains.