Poker and Chess

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was up all night playing chess on my pc, and now I come here and see this thread on the front page. I am still trying to win on the hardest level. I am not sure about any similarities, but chess is just fun.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But watching chess games can be boring (ist not a big sport for onlookers), because the action is hidden and not visible (it is in the minds of the players), you need good commentators like in the live stream of the current chess World Cup. Watching poker competitions would also be very boring, if there weren´t the hole card cameras..

Can't you just hear Norman Chad??

"Spassky just wham-boozled Kasparov!"

Fuffufnick

Fuffufnick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I see very few similarities between the two games but a great many in the type of mind it takes to become good at either; which, perhaps, perpetuates this constant argument and makes the transition from chess to poker easy. I believe the same logical thinking necessary to decipher the meaning of the geometric patterns presented on a chessboard, and their further implications, easily transfers to the ability to do the maths in poker as they apply to odds both present and implied. Memory is also important in order to recall, and understand, the implications of situations and opponents moves in order to manipulate them to your own advantage and avoid traps. There is also a cold calculation required to cut one's losses after overextending and/or falling into a trap. The same type of imagination used in chess, as it applies to foreseeing beyond the immediate consequences of any move, is also used in poker. Then there is the incessant thirst for knowledge required to grow as a player in both as well as the ability and desire to be self critical. Further, there is the need to put one's intellect to the test in a battle of minds and nerve in order to validate and/or gauge one's self.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
ill beat ya anytime in a game if I can find the time

We can play on Yahoo or whatever site you want, we can play best of 3. Since I "Initiated" the challenge of I will beat anyone I'll let you choose white or black.

Loser of the best of 3 has to come back to this thread and post "I made a mistake of challenging the almighty ______ he made me look like a chump, but it was an honor to be in his presence. even if just for a second."

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What is your rating by the way?

No idea I haven't played chess in a long time, If I play Yahoo I'll have to make a new account cause I have no clue what the ID is

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No idea I haven't played chess in a long time, If I play Yahoo I'll have to make a new account cause I have no clue what the ID is

Would you be interested in a game on gameknot?

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
wanna bet on it? =P

My chess rating is 2150 (Top 1%)
If you dont know whats your chess rating/ or dont have one then your not a srs chess player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_rating_system
rating explained

I'll play since your top 1% I should get odds I'll bet 0$ and you have to put up 20$ =)

And sure I'll play on Gameknot.. never heard of it but I'll play lol

SofaKingCrazy

SofaKingCrazy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want a new thread if you're going to start having some chess action in here. :p

V

vatopkr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chess is a game where you have a complete information about your opponent. and poker is all the opposite

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love playing chess like I love playing poker. I am not anything other than average in either but I enjoy them.
Anyone who fancies a game of chess I play at Chessworld.com and my nickname is the same as here Colbefc,but please I enjoy the game win or lose so if you take it THAT serious play someone else please, no offence meant. :D

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I commented in the other thread already.

It depends on if, when & where these games are to be held, but I'm def down to play against some of you.

It's already been said ITT but chess & poker are def in the same category as far as strategy & information goes. Anyone who disagrees, really doesn't know about either game.

dgiharris

dgiharris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wanna bet on it? =P

My chess rating is 2150 (Top 1%)
If you dont know whats your chess rating/ or dont have one then your not a srs chess player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_rating_system
rating explained

Wow, that is pretty good. My best rating was 1850 which is nothing to sneeze at.

I won $400 back in college (1993) beating a chess computer. It was one of those chessboards where you press down on the pieces to let the computer know what you were moving... Something like this...

phantomchessset-small.jpg

the board was rated at 1800 and I stipulated that we set a time limit on the board giving each side 20 minutes to play which further increased my edge since back then, computers were fairly slow at 66 MHz but of course back then that was blazing fast (66 million computations a second :eek: how could a human being ever beat that LOL) .

First game / bet was $100 and I was getting 2:1 on my money so only had to risk $50. I won and then went double or nothing and I won again :)

burgdogky

burgdogky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll play since your top 1% I should get odds I'll bet 0$ and you have to put up 20$ =)

And sure I'll play on Gameknot.. never heard of it but I'll play lol

Playing on Gameknot and playing FIDE or USCF is totaly diffrent.. My rating of 1800 USCF is probably the 2100+ on Gameknot. I would love to play play in both poker and chess. Would be interesting to see whose better ;)

Refinado Tom

Refinado Tom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here I leave a segment of a article of the International Master of chess Pablo Glavina. He's a professor of poker too. I hope they like it. The original is in spanish so use the translator to translate.

With all this and, above all, with the advent of the Internet, these two environments (chess and poker) were doomed to be understood. Several years ago that many chess players were turning to the backgammon and now they are doing with the poker. The existence of the luck factor as a major factor in weight in both games makes people willing to risk your money. Nobody in their right mind would risk nor a measly euro against a Grand Master.The people at chess accepts its inferiority, which is much better when it comes to the worst virtually 100% of the times, and is not fun to play money knowing that what we have lost.
Both in backgammon as in poker, also the best wins the worst, but in the long term. Any beginner can easily win a game against an expert, if leaving the dice or the favorable cards.
Two major defects that possesses the backgammon and therefore it is not as common as the poker: you cannot play on the internet since the computer always does the best play and in addition it is necessary to study to begin to play. Poker is much more simple and that is why he plays so many people.

Here the link of original. It's in Spanish.
http://www.poker-red.com/blogs/vuch...atrimonio-concertado-pablo-glavina-mi-ajedrez

ENRIQUE23977

ENRIQUE23977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
One of the main similarities between the two games is undoubtedly that one of the most important components is strategy. In both poker and chess, the game of every hand and every move is the result of careful analysis, and although it may sometimes seem that these decisions are taken lightly, the truth is that this is not the case.

Both games have incredible mathematical calculations, which are not seen with the naked eye. There are Artificial Intelligence Programs, both in Chess and in Poker, that have beaten Elite players.

Computers can do mathematical calculations and probabilities in moments, something that human beings cannot do. That's when we realize that by having strategies and making calculations, they make certain players so successful that they are always at the top. Like Daniel Negreanu, Justin Bonomo, Eric Seidel, to name a few.

waitandblead123

waitandblead123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Chess and poker are similar, but poker requires luck and chess requires cleverness

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think there are similarities between these two poker games and chess will always be compared, they are similar in meaning but different in both games you need intelligence and patience, the main thing is attentiveness and study of the opponent

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are quite different games, one is pure strategy and study, the other is strategy, study and courage to pay the game.
In chess we have royal figures and pawns. In poker we also have the real figure and the numbered suits that can be considered pawns.
The difference, each move in poker costs a value, be it a chip or real money, and in chess, no, so to play poker each move must be calculated, you cannot give a chip thinking about winning another, in chess you can sacrifice a piece to win a better one.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And in chess and poker you have to think hard)

batintin

batintin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Poker and chess have a similarity: if you lose your head you lose the game

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Вы можете выиграть у покерного профессионала из 10 раз, минимум 1-2 раза. И я никогда не выиграю у шахматного гроссмейстера из 10 раз.