Can Poker be considered an Intellectual Sport?

Mimo..Mach

Mimo..Mach

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Perhaps many of us have thought about it before and that is because this wonderful game has enough category to have that title and represent for the entire society a way of training and keeping active the mentality of those who practice it. Although the theme of 'betting' is part of Poker, it can also be practiced without betting, but rather, be number 1 in tournaments where people of all ages participate without any taboos.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s a thinking game. I don’t agree with people who call it a sport. Sport requires physical activity in my opinion. It is a form of mental activity for sure, but not really “that much” the way many people play the game.

I don’t really understand your point about “betting”? Poker without betting just isn’t poker anymore.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If poker is an intellectual sport. In my country argentina is already regulated in poker as a sport. I hope that other countries take the same measures.

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
@Mimo..Mach
Absolutely! Good information processing and knowledge are indispensable for playing poker at a high level. Therefore, the more mentally prepared we are (the aspect is just as important), the better we will be!

It’s a thinking game. I don’t agree with people who call it a sport. Sport requires physical activity in my opinion. It is a form of mental activity for sure, but not really “that much” the way many people play the game.

I don’t really understand your point about “betting”? Poker without betting just isn’t poker anymore.
@MattRyder
It's just a matter of design, but don't forget...
Mind activities may require as much or more than 'movement' activities.

Mimo..Mach

Mimo..Mach

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
@Mimo..Mach
Absolutely! Good information processing and knowledge are indispensable for playing poker at a high level. Therefore, the more mentally prepared we are (the aspect is just as important), the better we will be!

@MattRyder
It's just a matter of design, but don't forget...
Mind activities may require as much or more than 'movement' activities.
Your comment is very good in support of an issue that is rarely talked about and there should be a global campaign to make it a reality!

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.I would like to but,unfortunately,poker is not a sport but an exciting mental game, because yo u can see no physical activity like running, jumping or walking there.I really kie this game but a sport is different

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Not all sports requires physical activities. For example snooker, when you play snooker the brain is used more than the body. But I'm agree with you, some people don't think to much, they just go all in with anything they have in hand

Mimo..Mach

Mimo..Mach

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips

I say 'the bets' because a poker tournament played by children between 8 and 10 years old and who bet real money would definitely not look good. I refer to naming it "sport" as they catalog Chess and in those tournaments you don't bet on each game.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I think poker can be considered an intellectual sport. For me it's similar to chess.

Andrii Lubentsov

Andrii Lubentsov

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In Ukraine, poker is an official sport. Skill plays a decisive role here. Therefore, it is equated to intellectual sports.

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
At first glance, poker is easy to play, got a good card, gets bigger, I throw out garbage, but when you dig deeper and learn a lot about poker, you'll understand how difficult it is to play this a great sports game

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think psychological sports where endurance and patience are needed + psychology I think this is a sport of psychology

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello friend from Algarrobo - Argentina.
Honestly, I think the sports part of poker is the tournaments. There nobody has advantages, everyone starts with the same chips, and as in a World Cup in any sport, you must eliminate rivals.
As for the intellectual, and yes, the intellect does a lot in poker. So much so that many times in tournaments many players give you the famous "zzzzzz" that they are sleepy because you are thinking about a hand and they want to play fast. That type of player is good to capture because he means that he does not think but rather plays fast on instinct, and that is negative because in the game there are a lot of hand-to-hand situations that you must analyze for your best game.
So ultimately to your question, I think that in tournaments it could be called "an intellectual sport" then in cash tables for example I think not.
A big hug to the distance

ikescherer

ikescherer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No it’s not.

Chess is a intelectual sport, where you can see the same best professionals making the finals.

Poker u don’t see the best always making finals because of the random luck factor.

And that’s why people love it, the gambling factor is democratic, everyone can beat Daniel Negreanu or Phil Ivey. But you will never ever beat Magnus Carlsen.

The fact pros can have a edge and profit over recreational players don’t really make it a intelectual sport. In any GAME the best players edge people, but that doesn’t turn it a intelectual sport.

IT IS JUST A GAME!!

Don’t fool ursselves, don’t be over romantic about the poker the game.

Not even professionals do.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Perhaps many of us have thought about it before and that is because this wonderful game has enough category to have that title and represent for the entire society a way of training and keeping active the mentality of those who practice it. Although the theme of 'betting' is part of Poker, it can also be practiced without betting, but rather, be number 1 in tournaments where people of all ages participate without any taboos.
Ever since I was 13 I fell in love with 😍 the game and now I am 44 so it’s been in my life all my life and I can say sport : you can be in A game for hours.strategy:it’s a philosophical warfare.
Poker covers all it’s like life.in a class of its own.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course! There's a lot to think about, especially when the stakes go up.

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I do not consider poker a sport, but without intelligence it is impossible to learn how to play it

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Ever since I was 13 I fell in love with 😍 the game and now I am 44 so it’s been in my life all my life and I can say sport : you can be in A game for hours.strategy:it’s a philosophical warfare.
Poker covers all it’s like life.in a class of its own.
excellent comment brother
I had not analyzed it with respect to chess, which is my other favorite game.
And what you say is true, you can beat any professional but Magnus Carlsen or Kasparov or Fischer is impossible.
A hug from Algarrobo - Argentina

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
If poker is an intellectual sport. In my country Argentina is already regulated in poker as a sport. I hope that other countries take the same measures.
I agree with you, and I also hope that in the near future most countries will recognize tournament poker as a sport. There is every reason for this, and I do not understand why such an intellectual game as poker is worse than chess or checkers.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't see how can poker be intellectual . In my opinion it's just a game ,gambling .it's not even a sport

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
excellent comment brother
I had not analyzed it with respect to chess, which is my other favorite game.
And what you say is true, you can beat any professional but Magnus Carlsen or Kasparov or Fischer is impossible.
A hug from Algarrobo - Argentina
We should play chess sometimes anytime you want I am on chess.com or I can download any App you use Use this link to friend me on Chess.com https://friend.chess.com/gyWF and let's play sometime! My username is junior7755

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Texas holdem poker is many things, it is guessing game of hidden knowledge, it is a game of gathering information, game of composure and precense of mind, etc. And there is definitely intellectual challenge everyone to handle :)

Poker Tells