Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ya might already have a bit of a problem if your name irl is JDAWG... just sayin'..

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gonna have to keep it on the down low...

And this not just about getting busted by the school. Keep that money safe. You don't want to become a target just because people can't keep their mouths shut. You don't play you don't stay. Be professional about it.

And no one under 18 allowed - why? Most states have laws where the parents can submit reclaim (sue) for the money lost by minors. Mom and pop ask why junior needs more money and he gets a conscience and comes clean - they are coming after you.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gonna have to keep it on the down low...

You need to ask yourself some critical questions. Remember, a college education comes once in a lifetime for most people; poker is forever.

And this not just about getting busted by the school. Keep that money safe. You don't want to become a target just because people can't keep their mouths shut. You don't play you don't stay. Be professional about it.

And no one under 18 allowed - why? Most states have laws where the parents can submit reclaim (sue) for the money lost by minors. Mom and pop ask why junior needs more money and he gets a conscience and comes clean - they are coming after you.

Amen.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone here has covered this pretty well, but...

Make sure you trust the people you are playing with. Personally, I never play at a home game unless I know and trust AT LEAST one person. You never know what can happen...

And yeah, the legality thing. When I was in school, our student activities department actually hosted a poker tournament once a month as a fundraiser....$20.00 buy-in. I'm not sure how they did it...but they did it.

I was a total fish back then :) just look at my older posts.

Have fun :)

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to ask yourself some critical questions. Remember, a college education comes once in a lifetime for most people; poker is forever.

Amen.

Yea were not going to have a huge game that draws a lot of attention. Just a few friends hanging out.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea were not going to have a huge game that draws a lot of attention. Just a few friends hanging out.

Dude, that's how they always start. Treat it bigger than it is so you are ready when it gets bigger than it is. Which it will as you all realize you've developed an appetite for fresh fish :D

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jesus you guys are huge nits. It's pretty clear most of you weren't in college any time recently. There will be people having to get an ambulance for alcohol poisoning, there will be all kinds of underage parties with alcohol, all kinds of pot/other drugs, and then the actual legitimate (with actual victims) stuff RA's have to investigate including fights, noise complaints, etc. Trust me they don't really give a shit about your $5 poker game.

As to people trying to get money back (and parents) even if the school would actually force you to pay back (not a chance), no college kid is going to essentially make all their peers hate them over $20. You think they'd make any friends if they were known as the person who went to the authorities because they lost in a $5 poker home game? This gets some people to be hesitant to even call 911 if someone needs to go the hospital at a party with underaged kids, you really think they'd risk becoming social outcasts over however much they lose at a $5 game?

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jesus you guys are huge nits. It's pretty clear most of you weren't in college any time recently. There will be people having to get an ambulance for alcohol poisoning, there will be all kinds of underage parties with alcohol, all kinds of pot/other drugs, and then the actual legitimate (with actual victims) stuff RA's have to investigate including fights, noise complaints, etc. Trust me they don't really give a shit about your $5 poker game.

As to people trying to get money back (and parents) even if the school would actually force you to pay back (not a chance), no college kid is going to essentially make all their peers hate them over $20. You think they'd make any friends if they were known as the person who went to the authorities because they lost in a $5 poker home game? This gets some people to be hesitant to even call 911 if someone needs to go the hospital at a party with underaged kids, you really think they'd risk becoming social outcasts over however much they lose at a $5 game?

+1

thebigdawg

thebigdawg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Agreed.

Sophomore in college myself, so here is a tip or two.

1) Like a lot said above, always keep the money hidden until its over.

2) Don't play in the common room. If you have a strict RA or whatever they will keep an eye on you and whoever your playing with just waiting to see money go around. They know not a lot of kids 18+ play games with playing cards without money involved. Just play in your room, or somebody else's where you can close the door.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Post-teen adolescence - ain't it great? Play in the library on Friday night - no one else is there.

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Were gonna play tonight in the common room, and hide the money.

We would play in someones room, but there would not be enough space to play.

4thandinches

4thandinches

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play it safe, as several posters have already stated. The most important part being to play with chips and have someone you trust hold on to the money. That way in the worst-case scenario that you get busted, they will have a tough time proving any wrongdoing.
Making money off this would be nice, but most importantly, have fun as you are amongst friends.

W

Weissr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Were gonna play tonight in the common room, and hide the money.

We would play in someones room, but there would not be enough space to play.

Do they allow beer in the commons room? deal breaker.

C

CANDYMAN1414

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be sure to put guys you dont know on a limit. Never know about a bad sport who gets his bank account drained and thinks someone must have cheated. Had someone at my college put on probation from a snitch but then again our games got big money sometimes. Keep it small, tournements and no cash games to start.

JCgrind

JCgrind

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Played poker and paid tuition first year.
Deferred from Uni to earn money and ended up playing fulltime for life moniez.

Uni budgets are tight. I know you're only planning on small ring games and SnGs, but seriously careful, degen in a 100NL game one time and you'll be eating more 2 minute noodles that anyone should ever have to

JCgrind

JCgrind

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jchoop says as he puts his noodles in the microwave

D

ddeely1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is just put the money somewhere safe and away and its no problem. If you're playing for fun you can't get in trouble. I played all four years in college never got in trouble, I also did other things I didn't get in trouble for so just be safe

B

Bowman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

Just wanted to say that I would confirm with any type of advisory group within the school. gambling is not allowed in many areas across the states, especially on campus.
They may want you to leave the campus to engage in any type of poker.
I would just say be careful and it's best to confirm as if they do not allow this then I would not pursue with it. Getting your education should be a first with poker to follow. Sorry to say that, but I just am saying my own opinion.
A really wise thing to do was to find out in Orientation if this could be arranged on the premises. I am sure somewhere in those manuals you recieved will say no gambling.
Best not to chance it, as you could get dismissed or suspended for these activities. Just really depends on the school you are attending.

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice. Definitely use campus poker as a way to have fun/build connections/make friends though rather than trying to make money though.

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice. Definitely use campus poker as a way to have fun/build connections/make friends though rather than trying to make money though.

Yea haha, got a lot of laughs, met some really nice people.

Apparently our dorm has its own secret library/study room. We went back there and nobody was there, and there was one huge table in the middle, it was the perfect spot to play.

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had AQ raied pf, 1 caller. Flop comes A-3-6.

I bet, he calls.

Turn J.

I bet, he shoves.

I thought for a long time, and decided to call.

He had J2 LOL! I won a nice pot.