Poker an addiction?

R

Russian Idiot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps this is an addiction, I also cannot stop on time, I just need to slow down in time but it is difficult. From greed you can become bankrupt !!!

T

TanaT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gambling is an addiction. Sometimes for the little ones we lose a lot. because we go to passion, forgetting common sense. If the game does not go, relax, read the theory. without tactics that throw money into the void. play watch freerolls, learn.

SprMnd

SprMnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First give yourself the answer - what is poker for you and what do you expect from it? Perhaps you misunderstand the expectations that you thought up in your head. If you spend your poker earnings in such quantity, it means that you want to get rich too much and quickly. Do not chase the material things, the most important thing in life - the people who are with you. Money is only a resource for interconnection in society. They are secondary. The most important thing is the society we live in.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First give yourself the answer - The most important thing is the society we live in.

XXX

The Most Important Thing is "The Mind" through which we perceive the World and Our Own Existence within it...

How You "See" a Problem Directly Determines How You Go About Solving the Problem or If A Problem Exists in the First Place...we are not disconnected from the problem

"Its a mixed up muddled up world we live in" Lyrics to a song i cant remember the name too...But that's not a problem... or is it? lol who gives a sh*t lol

Seriously... I am aware of a concept, Which Some May Debate and I'll Do My Best To Share on this thread... It May Open Doors for YOU or you may decide its full of bull but the choice is freely given for You to evaluate...

Our interpretation of reality is based upon experience which build up to Memory Maps or Images over Laid concerning how we dealt with a particular situation or action.

We Also hold an Image of who we are, built up over many years of experience but these "Images" change over time and so do we...

Prove it? OK When you imagine "you", you see this picture of your self... right? Beautiful, Hansom, Charming, Good Deep Down, a good friend, a great singer (Makes me laugh when you see people on X-Factor), Great lover, good with money, bad with money...Etc

Your own attributes could go on forever when describing your self....

So Having this concept in your mind, why don't we change it a little... Why Not? Maybe because you wouldn't be that image we have of our selves, right?

But Why Not?

If we can Play a Game that more than half of the time we see less than half the cards I mean maybe that doesn't relate here at all...

So if you could change that image you hold of your self... You Could Effectively Change You... and Every problem you've ever had in life, Every single one has had one common factor....

YOU!!

"Change You and You change the Problem..." or at least change how you negotiate the problem...

So the Question is how do we alter our "image" to deal with Addiction or Spending or Seeking a Quick Win Fix... or what ever else is the root of the problem...

That's some thing you will have to figure out for your self...

I am a great dad! I'm some one who has rituals, beliefs and boundaries, morals and a great love of many different things so for me I can swap out what I find gives the "image" of me satisfaction... or when I become dissatisfied with some thing I feel the need to swap that out and crave some thing to replace it... lol

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

XXX

The Most Important Thing is "The Mind" through which we perceive the World and Our Own Existence within it...

How You "See" a Problem Directly Determines How You Go About Solving the Problem or If A Problem Exists in the First Place...we are not disconnected from the problem

"Its a mixed up muddled up world we live in" Lyrics to a song i cant remember the name too...But that's not a problem... or is it? lol who gives a sh*t lol

Seriously... I am aware of a concept, Which Some May Debate and I'll Do My Best To Share on this thread... It May Open Doors for YOU or you may decide its full of bull but the choice is freely given for You to evaluate...

Our interpretation of reality is based upon experience which build up to Memory Maps or Images over Laid concerning how we dealt with a particular situation or action.

We Also hold an Image of who we are, built up over many years of experience but these "Images" change over time and so do we...

Prove it? OK When you imagine "you", you see this picture of your self... right? Beautiful, Hansom, Charming, Good Deep Down, a good friend, a great singer (Makes me laugh when you see people on X-Factor), Great lover, good with money, bad with money...Etc

Your own attributes could go on forever when describing your self....

So Having this concept in your mind, why don't we change it a little... Why Not? Maybe because you wouldn't be that image we have of our selves, right?

But Why Not?

If we can Play a Game that more than half of the time we see less than half the cards I mean maybe that doesn't relate here at all...

So if you could change that image you hold of your self... You Could Effectively Change You... and Every problem you've ever had in life, Every single one has had one common factor....

YOU!!

"Change You and You change the Problem..." or at least change how you negotiate the problem...

So the Question is how do we alter our "image" to deal with Addiction or Spending or Seeking a Quick Win Fix... or what ever else is the root of the problem...

That's some thing you will have to figure out for your self...

I am a great dad! I'm some one who has rituals, beliefs and boundaries, morals and a great love of many different things so for me I can swap out what I find gives the "image" of me satisfaction... or when I become dissatisfied with some thing I feel the need to swap that out and crave some thing to replace it... lol

Very good your post. And complement saying change and continue in the game just keep in control. Here is a sentence I like very much: "When we change, it changes for the better!" Unknown author

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can't stop, poker's not for you! Not risk money!

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is 100% an addiction.

Don't risk more then you can afford to lose.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that if you do not study, you are poorly prepared, you do not have the minimum of dedication to be profitable, it is very likely that it will happen at the same time.Here it is worth noting the bankrool control necessary to not play limits beyond your capacity, a money that you will need to survive, this is unthinkable from the professional point of view and even from those who take poker as a hobby

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, guys. Last month, I lost 90% of my monthly earnings to PokerStars. Every day I lost, but I kept adding money. In this sense, can we talk about poker as an addiction? What is your optinion?
:confused::confused::confused:

It is sad. Can you make money easily? If you thoughtlessly part with them, then you do not need to play poker!

maksonios

maksonios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This week I lost almost 70$, I am still very addicted, but I won't donate.

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A little while ago, when I had a winning streak, I lost all my scant bankroll because I was ambitious, I did not know how to measure my aspirations or my possibilities, and now I have to start over. I would not call it an addiction, because I do not feel the imperative need to always play, but once you feel that the numbers are on your side you can get to confuse yourself

drubas

drubas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop adding the money. I`m sure you can find better way of using your earnings. Yes, poker is an addiction, so find another hobby. Other way - you can spent some money to study poker, there are lots of such sites, and after a long time of practice make a profit.

I would definitely go the way described above. If you frequently have to add money you should take a break and consider to fully stop to play Poker or to start practicing it better.

Poker is a game where it is hard to find an edge against other players. Luck always plays a role and you have to know the rules and underlying patterns in order to play profitably.

Think about your steps and win. In Poker, in your life and in general.

Greets and all the best.

S

sergo1203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can be viewed in different ways to this. if you are playing for fun, then this hobby. but if you invest the money and you can not stop the dependent.

P

psuedosuited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You lost 90% of your money, still playing and adding money is very serious.
First of all, stop add money, try relax with other hobby, if you like play poker try play freeroll and learn about poker and try make money first before add money again.

Just play Freerolls and work on winning them. U can have fun and not lose real money. If ur losing rent money than stop.

M

mulliongc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course poker is an addiction, unless you're not addicted. Then, of course, it's not an addiction. Just depends.

Jilty

Jilty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything can be an addiction, if your constantly losing it's because;

1. you have money, and are happy to gamble but your stakes are too high (this means your using poker as a dopamine hit)

2. you only see the game as that dopamine hit and think it's easy and your always want to fly in without taking the time to sit down and study or at least lower your stakes

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I understand, an addiction characterizes a behavior/habit or compulsion that interferes with your livelihood. Further, the person understands the negative impact of the behavior and yet continues to do it. Many suggest that passionate or certain high energy people can be vulnerable to addictive behavior.

Support, cold turkey, and/or habit replacements are practical ways to cope and ultimately overcome.

Hope you find your better balance.

A

adueno81

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this sites rules make people addicted to the game. I really only want to play a couple games a week but the site requires people to post about 5 messages a week to stay active. I really hate playing with retarded donks during whole games though. For example bigsanto pushed me all in when he only had j,q before.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, guys. Last month, I lost 90% of my monthly earnings to PokerStars. Every day I lost, but I kept adding money. In this sense, can we talk about poker as an addiction? What is your optinion?

Poker can certainly be an addiction, but it's usually a symptom of an underling issue/condition/disorder. It's possible poker is just a trigger.

Put in its most simple terms, the what you're actually addicted to is euphoria. A rush of endorphins from the brain provides a feeling of intense happiness that is so overwhelming that it blocks out everything else. Temporarily not feeling the pain of a mundane or miserable life; or momentarily being free of life's routine problems; or having bad thoughts pushed out of your mind, (even if only for a few brief moments), can be extraordinarily addicting. The same is true of most addictions such as food or even sex.

In your case, winning a poker hand is what triggering the endorphin rush. If I'm right, the condition will never go away. Identifying it and getting treatment may help control the urges, but it's unlikely you'll ever be able to play poker (or gamble in any form) like a "normal" person. There will always be a part of you that is chasing a "high". You may think that everyone feels that "high" when they play, and you're not incorrect, but trust me, what you feel is not what it's like for most folks.

L

Lastsmoke

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything and I mean literally anything can be an addiction it is all about control as soon as u loose that then yeah it can become an addiction

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You really need to be more careful, and have more self control and discipline, specially if you can't afford to bet more than a certain portion of your monthly paycheck.

I'm not sure about other sites, but in poker stars you can select a restriction to only bet a certain amount of cash per day.

Poker is a wonderful game, but anything in excess is bad for you, even food ffs! Being or feeling addicted sounds horrible, but at least you recognize that you have a problem... Time to recognize a solution.

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set deposit limits, stakes limits, learn bankroll management - and take a few days off after tilting. Reading some books about mindset is also a very good solution. It helps me.

Absolutely, before depositing make a longterm plan of maximum money you will deposit, so even if you are on 100% unlucky streak, you don't end up losing more than you can afford to. Surely, it's easier being said than done, but it is a crucial thing. Gambling addiction can ruin friendships and families if not treated properly.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

We need more data. Did you gain 100% of your monthly earnings each of the last three months? How much of your monthly earnings did you win or lose each month over the last year? One point is not statistically significant.
Poker pro Daniel Negreanu has cashed for more money in poker tournaments than anyone else in history, but he has now posted two straight years of losses. Negreanu, a Poker Hall of Famer, said in a blog post that he spent $2.87 million on buy-ins last year. He cashed for $2.79 million, which means he lost about $86,000 on 2017. He made nine final tables, but he failed to capture a win. He said that he played 71 events, with an average buy-in of roughly $40,000. He was down essentially two buy-ins on the year, which was virtually break-even, according to the 43-year-old. Should Daniel quit and read some books?

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Addiction is for people who do not use their brains to reason things over!