Poker an addiction?

A

alexplosivo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, guys. Last month, I lost 90% of my monthly earnings to PokerStars. Every day I lost, but I kept adding money. In this sense, can we talk about poker as an addiction? What is your optinion?
:confused::confused::confused:
It is an addiction, one keeps playing and putting money thinking that one day you will recover it, and if at some point you recover it you go back to play and lose, it is an addiction

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thank you for your opinions. I talked with more people and everyone told me that for some time I would try freerolls and stop adding money
Yep, you are an uncontrolled object.
1) get hold of yourself
2) start some lessons
2a) bank roll management is 1st
3) play freerolls sounds healthy
999) only put rela money at risk when you are sure you have the skills to be able to win!

B

biggs3369

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
so often things are going well that you dont realize how good you're running. its like when your aces hold up against KK or what have you, you think well of course, that is supposed to happen, and you just move onto the next hand. sometimes you can run bad for a very long time despite playing well. bankroll management is a skill that i have yet to master. that being said, i really do enjoy the freerolls that so many sites offer. so much less stress.:) and in this way i know that i am playing for fun, not just to win, and the result is ... playing better.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, guys. Last month, I lost 90% of my monthly earnings to PokerStars. Every day I lost, but I kept adding money. In this sense, can we talk about poker as an addiction? What is your optinion?

This is called a game addiction, many people lose everything, the main thing that you understand it, you are not one, there are thousands of us, try not to play anymore, and it will solve all your problems.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems like it is just bad luck. Go ahead stick the other 10% in. You should be fine. At this point you are only 90% addicted. Hardly worth the therapy. Once you are fully committed or "all in", you wont even have to convince a therapist.

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not believe that it is an addiction but some people have problems and should seek a doctor before starting to do anything that I know is difficult but with professional help it improves a lot

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is not a poker addiction. That is a gambling addiction with money. A poker addiction would be being addicted to Play Money games.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it can be highly additive. Whoever gave you the advice to stick to freerolls is smart. That's all I'm willing to do online. There are so many available it can keep you busy all the time and if you lose, who cares. The upside is that it is possible to get very lucky and turn nothing into a fortune. Good luck at the tables!

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for good thoughts. I'll try to have them in mind and not put all my money in poker.

Cody5991

Cody5991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally feel that if you are continually losing at the game that is with all respect a you problem. What I mean by this, is that you aren’t doing something right or there is a hole in your game that is costing you so I would either maybe spend some time reading or learning about poker vs just playing and perhaps switch to play money and see how that goes and once you start doing good there try and make the transition back over. There is still a chance you could have a gambling problem as well. It is a lot more common than people think or are willing to admit and getting help from someone or a program could also be what’s needed. I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions right away but try some of these things and see if they work and if you continue to have issues it may be time to get some help my friend. Good luck to you!

Cody5991

Cody5991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
покер как наркотик, даже воздух иногда заменяет, - в накуренном помещении!

Just as a heads up you are only supposed to use English on the general forum. Not my rules, the rules of the forum.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I too experience this problem
Some things that help is too have cool down period
Self exclusion for day or week or month or years
Another is too play money games rather than real money to experience the fun of the game rather than get too serious

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I think that for some players, poker can be addicted and they will continue to play both day and night hoping to win a lot, but you need to try to control yourself in the game and if you are very drawn out then it’s better to stop playing for a while if you are not well, it is better to play at low limits and play tournaments with a small buy-in so as not to lose a lot of money!

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there friend:0) We all go through down swings in poker. In these times dont feed other people your money, try and give it a break for a couple of days. your not going to win with frustration. I have been there and poker can be very addicting, you just have to learn to take breaks and you will play better and win a little more. good luck out there:0)

Barbarrossa

Barbarrossa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Poker can easily be an addiction. IF you cannot control yourself then do not play the game. Pretty straight answer..

With that being said.. If you are going to continue playing then start studying the game.. there are many places that can help you.. Say here for instance https://www.cardschat.com/poker-strategy.php Watch streams and ask questions.. the community of poker is a helpful one.

Good luck in the future

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Wow, I think "Choice" is a good word here and the phrase "More Money Than Sense" from a super critical outsider looking in...

On a more serious side, If you feel it's "addiction" and that's what you tell you self then you don't need any of us tell the same or any different, as you've decided what it is already.

You Need Help or You Need A Plan!!

Set out a Bankroll Management System, stick to it, your reward is to play as a benefit of the system.

You Need a Plan and stick to it!

What Game Structure are you losing more in than any other? Stop Playing That/Those particular Money Vacuums...

Choose the Game Structure You've Had More Success With and Don't deviate...

Read This Book or if you prefer there is an audio version of: The Poker Mindset: Essential Attitudes for Poker Success ....
There is a great torrent version especially for those who've spent all their money and still need help... PM Me for the Link...

If You Prefer to stop playing completely as it may of driven you into debt then you'll need professional help...

I'm not Down that rabbit hole yet so cant help you with particular Addiction Clinics but that is where it's getting to if you cant control your bankroll with more success...

It's Strange how Addiction Works, I Substituted My Sex and Drug Addiction with Poker and Have spent less Money Playing Poker in the last three months than i would of in one night before the big change...

Seriously I could Spend nearly my whole weekly wage £600.00 a week chasing tail and snorting coke, every week for the last two years...

I've spent about £100 over the last three months on poker and I feel good for it...

I get so much value winning some and losing some and with the freerolls all my previous addictions are done a dusted... don't get me wrong I still feel like i want them back especially at moments of high stress but the Poker Works for me Keeps every thing else from going tits up... All it takes is correct management...and Moderation!!!

giphy.gif

Just Cut Off Its Head!!!

Last edited:
Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set deposit limits, stakes limits, learn bankroll management - and take a few days off after tilting. Reading some books about mindset is also a very good solution. It helps me.

T

ThatGuyTim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like most of the CC members have mentioned, poker can most definitely be addicting. A hard part of the game is knowing once the money is in, be prepared to lose it. So always make sure it’s a percentage of your monthly earnings that you’re okay with not having anymore. Another is chasing losses; don’t. Take a step back and wait a couple days maybe even until the next month to see if you want to continue playing poker with money you are prepared to lose. After getting verified and with the ability to play whenever and whichever time you want, depositing and being able to play is very easy. If you feel you can’t control yourself I say be careful and maybe shy away from depositing as it can cause a lot of problems with money.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most important is to first not to play at levels higher than your current skill and second to not invest money that you can't afford to loose. Just stay at micro levels and if you have lost too much money focus on freerolls till you improve enough.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You lost 90% of your money, still playing and adding money is very serious.
First of all, stop add money, try relax with other hobby, if you like play poker try play freeroll and learn about poker and try make money first before add money again.

Last edited:
M

mavradal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you lost that much of your bankroll, you need to take a long break from poker ASAP.

I recommend 6 months, at least. After that, you can maybe give it another try but only if you learned from your past mistakes.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, Playing poker is an addiction, but You can split it in two ways. The best way, playing for to have so fun. That's the most considerating part. Second way is playing for money then every loosing pissed you off. Choose the way :)

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just mixed up the numbers, bro!!! 90% of your earnings is for living expenses, and ONLY 10% for gambling, poker, Bankroll...
Try it that way! When the 10% is gone, play freerolls and wait for next month. This way you will have time to think how your next approach will look like. ( play more aggressively, play lower stakes, play only one high buy-in Tournament....)
Winning is not an event, it's a process!

specialjuice

specialjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do not add more money try to build up a bankroll from freerolls

Natta777

Natta777

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I am deliberately not investing money now, because I am sure that I will lose everything. I play freerolls, also for tournament money. When I feel ready to play for real money, I will make a contribution. Perhaps I can save a bankroll without investing my own money. Then if I lose it, I won't be upset.