Is poker a game as stressful as it seems?

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is only stressful if you are playing with the rent money. The game it self is exhilarating. So only play within your means and I am confident you will enjoy it.

kiso777

kiso777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's only stressful when the money on the table matters too much to you. I've had this problem many times in the past. It would cause me to lose patience in the long-run and make stupid mistakes both on the table and in what I was buying into. Or I would have to withdraw my money after doing well, causing me to get nowhere int he long run because I kept having to start over. :deal:

To avoid this I'm working on creating a bankroll form Freerolls & building off of that. It keeps my "real life" and poker separated so hopefully one day poker can contribute to my income without the stress of leaving "real" money on the table. The sky is the limit, just keep playing, grinding, and improving. When the worry of losing the money you put into the game goes away, the stress of the game melts away and it sets you free to make the best poker moves & decisions instead of watching for the bubble just to get you buy-in back.

:jd4:
very good thoughts, but freerolls are too little to hone their skills, you have to invest real money, but you are never safe from the bad beat, and often this disorder:eek2:

B

BasTid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stressful isn't the word, for me personally I find live very very mentally taxing. The worst is trying to shut down after a full days poker, I remember trying to sleep knowing I was up at 9am to get to the tournament for 11am after playing from 1-2pm until 2am and being lying in my bed wide awake and unable to sleep.

mpanarelo

mpanarelo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a Russian roulette ... kkkkk on the one hand and it is extremely possible not to be stressed, as the game is very mathematical, but I find nerve management impossible without bankroll management.
I don't chat.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stress

Playing within my range which is determined by my bankroll, to me that isn't stressful maybe if i played at higher limits the stress would build a bit but right now im comfortable.
I have to say that at the beginning of a big tourney I get a little uncomfortable but that goes away quickly.

T

TheChosenDragon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it's very stressfull.
I'm trying to control it and care less.
But I care too much about my bankroll so when I'm in the danger of losing money, I'm stressing like hell.
But the 2 weeks of no hits and bat beats did make that I can put things more in perspective.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hell yeah is stressful, it is a roller coaster. And I am playing 0.01/0.02$ Zoom with a bankroll of 100$. I had sessions where I end up losing more than 10$, but I had sessions where I win more than 10$. So hell yeah is stressful and tilting, but controlling your mental game is what is key to be winning money at the long run.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stressful, yes, no matter how much i try to study

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Unfortunately it is stressful as it seems.
Does the chat comment affect you?Yes, I just mute some people and... problem solved.

If the bet is very high, stress increases?
Obviously :)

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only if you are very focused on getting a particular result.

If you need to win to pay the bills this month, then it will be an incredibly stressful game. People's competitive nature comes out in poker, this is part of the reason for our love of the game, and it brings a lot of chemicals that produce stress

P

Pepepep10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each tournament has only one winner, everyone else is frustrated or stressed lol

R

rcpeck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with many others here that if you're really feeling the stress, you're probably not managing your bankroll correctly.

Ideally you're decision making should be free from stress due to impact on bankroll, freeing you up to make the best decisions for each situation.

Tunkki

Tunkki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've noticed that I'm a guy who doesn't stress at all. It helps a lot :)

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stress??? Oh, Yes, it's part of the game, I think it all depends on the specific person, either you get stressed and it gets in the way, or you can keep yourself in hand, despite the circumstances. And this is true for life and for poker. I'm more stressed when I'm not raising the stakes, but when I'm playing many hours of tournaments. When you spent 8-10 hours, played carefully, built up the stack, and then you can miss everything!!! At such moments, the pulse is off the scale and it is very difficult to make decisions. At such times, I try to ignore the tournament and its stage, the size of the bet and the opponent, and imagine that this is a normal hand, a tournament of one hand.

T

TheChosenDragon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with many others here that if you're really feeling the stress, you're probably not managing your bankroll correctly.

Ideally you're decision making should be free from stress due to impact on bankroll, freeing you up to make the best decisions for each situation.
I'm having stress, but not because of a bad bankroll management.
I have a big winner mentality, so every hand I lose is painful, even if it is for free money.
But it's one of the topics I try to handle, to handle my stress better and the experience is helping to get ride of it. :)

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I have been meditating for over 12 years.

Meditation is so very important in life.
It helps a person to be stress free, mentally light.
Its good for Poker too.

A person tends to get stressed in poker when the stakes go high, nearing the bubble, or at any situation.
Keep Calm its only a game.
so yes I recommend Meditation.:D

T

TheChosenDragon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Meditation is so very important in life.
It helps a person to be stress free, mentally light.
Its good for Poker too.

A person tends to get stressed in poker when the stakes go high, nearing the bubble, or at any situation.
Keep Calm its only a game.
so yes I recommend Meditation.:D
That's actually some good advice!
I'll give meditation a try.
I can use some more mental silence in both daily life as in poker. :)
Thanks for the advice!

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does the chat comment affect you?

If the bet is very high, stress increases?

how does stress, some tennica in particular or only with experience decrease?

Definitely a stressful game for me. After having a small boost to a bankroll , enough to play small stakes tournaments, it is stressful to manage it. In the back of my mind, i'm always fearful of starting over.

kiso777

kiso777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most likely adrenaline)) especially if you play 4-5 hours in a tournament and get to the prize place, you start to sweat, adrenaline rush, it's a buzz

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe in some situations, when my day is bad and I'm with bad mood and someone is talking s*** I can't really listen I got build up with stress and only solution to that is giving that person dead look at him, so he will be freeze and stop talking, if that continue I just say some quote in f-k off style and continue to play. It's hard to focus with all that back noises and knowing that you are in with your money. It's stressful for me a little bit if the game is with higher buy in, but after so many times you get used to it

J

JRTHEKING

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"No-limit hold'em is hours of boredom followed by moments of sheer terror."
[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]— Tom McEvoy

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing poker I don't feel any stress, I just relax and enjoy the game

R

rcpeck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm having stress, but not because of a bad bankroll management.
I have a big winner mentality, so every hand I lose is painful, even if it is for free money.
But it's one of the topics I try to handle, to handle my stress better and the experience is helping to get ride of it. :)

I definitely get that. Mine manifests itself more as competitive, righteous anger. How could that idiot possibly call me with THAT!? Doesn't he know how good I am! ;)

A

amniasti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

hello maybe some times its stressful beacose i see much saying its more relax but and me in moments when i win and im playing freeroll yes its relax but when i playing buy in tournament examle 100$ 500$ buy in and blinds going up you have bad cards,what can we say this relax or stressful ofcourse for me its stressful.

Top 10 Games