pankoffff

pankoffff

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, poker is an intellectual game, but you also need to have a good knowledge of mathematics, feel the game, and to some extent have luck.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I like how your question asks about "extraordinarily good" players but your answer only references "good players"...
I think to be extraordinarily good at anything it helps to be extraordinarily smart:cool:(y)

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I like how your question asks about "extraordinarily good" players but your answer only references "good players"...
Hmm, good eye. I used these two adjectives as synonyms, but it's too late to edit it now.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In your opinion, does an extraordinarily good player require exceptionally high intelligence?

I'd say: 'No'. To become a good player, one only needs patience and luck. And in live Poker, a skill to read people.
I don’t think so; some poker players understand a lot about the game but have a huge lack of general knowledge and culture. It looks like some players are even dumb when it comes to any other subject that isn’t strictly poker.
Look at me, I’m great example of an empty and controversial person. Though I love to study and consider myself kinda a nerd, I don’t think I’m some intelectual, strictu senso.
I also believe complete ignorant people can be awesome players, not only of poker but any type of sport.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
a good knowledge of mathematics
Which means basic proportion and basic percentage, if these topics are not involved somehow.
Poker math is intuitive and very easy.

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No, and oddly enough, you don't need to be good at math, however, you have to study the field's deviation from theory and apply simplifications to make your game easier.

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Every top poker player that succeeded in his/her career has a brilliant mind. What to say about names as Daniel Negreanu, Phil Ivey, Doug Polk and many others? When they talk, when they explain hands and concepts, it is easy to see why they are where they are. They have worked hard and certainly they studied a lot! Certainly there is a certain amount of intelligence required to reach the high stakes: not only mathematical or logical intelligence, but also body and emotinal intelligence.
But I don't necessarily say that they are intellectuals. They are brilliantly smart for poker, and probably for any area that they would have chosen to follow, but I would say they had to be hard workers first. A lot of people simply don't want to study the game: playing is a lot easier and funnier; complaining is much easier. There is not a good player without study, but everybody can be a good player, despite any limitations, as long as they want to sacrifice time studying.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, Everybody! I think, Poker is a Game, first of all, for people with a good nervous system! In this Game, as Poker, by my opinion,
necessary have the "iron" nervouses, or don't have nervous totally!..

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No - just got to be a lucky b****rd haha

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Not necessarily..some are highly intelligent but many excellent players are as we say "Fachtrottel" . Great and knowledable in their field but clueless in others.
That can be seen in many professions not just poker

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In your opinion, does an extraordinarily good player require exceptionally high intelligence?

I'd say: 'No'. To become a good player, one only needs patience and luck. And in live Poker, a skill to read people.
I would say : Being smart is of course an advantage. But you can find very skilled poker players who are not exceptionally intelligent. Poker is a game of strategy and patience.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Answering your first sentence, of course not.

About the last, some people are born with some gifts that help them in their poker development, but some talents can be acquired, depending on the will and perseverance. As Emerson Fittipaldi says in one of his books, "will overcomes talent".

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
While being intelligent always helps it doesn't mean you will excel at one specific thing and that is also true for poker. In the end of the day it comes down to combination of talent and hard work (as in putting huge amount of hours into practice). Hard work for the most part being the most important factor. To some specific things come easy, but if they don't go into it 100% they will never achieve the max potential.
So in short do you need to have extremely high intelligence to be best of the best in poker? No. Does it help if you do have it? Yep, of course it does.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker is definitely an intellectual game, but luck is a huge piece too! Then factor in mathematics..

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

No you do not have high intelligence, a good memory is very important, which I do not have. MUST be willing to risk it all. I have lost to players that have average intelligence at best, because they make some strange moves, very un predictable. they have been successful poker players.

testing826

testing826

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
some of expereince well put into play and wisdom

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably not, but if you have an exceptional intelligence it will definitely help and make easier to you be a good poker player, because math plays a big role in poker.

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Maybe an advanced level... great players who play close to GTO at most.

I don't think there's much intellectuality at micro stakes (although they do exist).
Besides, I think it's more about the psychological aspect (it's also intelligence, but).

Games like Chess I believe require more of us intellectually, but like everything else in life it depends on many inputs.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When listening to the the thought process of a 'good' player (mid-stakes MTT), I'd say it is quite apparent that they are above average intelligence and honestly any that I know, are far above average intelligence. I honestly think it takes much more than most of the people responding on here understand. Poker is not about having big balls and big bankrolls... or being able to see a nervous eyebrow twitch or how they might move their left foot while contemplating an action on the table. Patience is a given... as is control of one's mindset. But those are very basic traits.

Tadi

Tadi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
A good player must have above-average intelligence. Most people who commented consider intelligence and education to be synonymous. A person can be intelligent, and he does not need to be educated and vice versa. Intelligence is the ability to quickly and efficiently navigate new and unfamiliar situations, able to learn from experience, easily adapt to new situations... Educated and uneducated people can learn to play poker, but intelligent people will be more successful.

BLMonteiro

BLMonteiro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips

ability to read or understand people, that in live poker. But it is very complicated and more difficult in online poker.

Top 10 Games Poker Tells