Playing poker perfectly won't guarantee success

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience and hard work will grind everything.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I agree with that.

Just with everything other in life, in poker there will be people who will be luckier than others is the long run. Skill is very important of course and it can (not "will", I wrote "can") turn you into a winning player under several other prerequisites, but there will be people who will be luckier and proceed deeper into their poker journey, and people who will stay at the bottom/ mid or ever not win the game.

Unfortunately this is truth.

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if it was just luck then there would be no multi bracelet winners. it takes an amount of luck to make it but skill, knowledge and correct play gives you the chance to get lucky. statistically no one person is luckier than the other.

this is exactly what i say to people when they talk about poker being all luck

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure I would use a term like "a Cats in hells chance", but I will say based off Short term luck. You could play perfect GTO poker, never making a single mistake EVER, and there is still a 30% chance you will be a losing player long term. With that said, even the best of the best make mistakes. so up that to about 50% for the best of the best. I don't have the statistics, but I would assume that's about the same odds of being successful any anything you do that takes a higher education, or being a pro caliber athlete that was actually drafted.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with playing perfect doesn't guarantee success,
but disagree with the lucky part.
If you played perfect A+ poker and came up, but didn't win every pot, luck would help,
but perfect has little variance, so its up, up, up, up, little down, up, up, up.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no such thing as playing perfect poker. Just playing the odds perfectly, and you are right - that does not ensure a win short term , but it does over time.

DanyDGD

DanyDGD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that's true, luck is what always kills me!!!

S

SlowRollAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, because I always play perfect!.., LOL

S

Souza322

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you make the things you say like study poker reading a lot of books, spend a lifetime playing gaining experience, so long time you can be a master on poker and won big tournaments online and live.

Another thing, you say "You could learn the correct way to play and spend a lifetime playing but unless your lucky you don't have a cat in hells chance of making money". Taking your example, I know about doctor who study a lot and spend they life study and no all get good jobs, so no is like if you study and prepare you will get more money. Apply for all careers.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The luck element is harsh.

It punishes good players, who by definition are good players because they consistently put themselves in +EV positions.

All you need is ONE unlucky break in a big pot to make a difference between winning and losing.

Yeah the conventional wisdom is to not be "result oriented," but ask yourself this, would you rather be making great moves but lose money or get lucky and win money?

I'd take the money everytime.

So if you are pissed if you got screwed by that moron who calls off his stack on a gutshot str draw and hits to put you down 200 BBs? You have every right to be mad. If some smarta$$ "pro" tells ya to suck it up cuz it's "variance," tell him to F off.

There's no guarantee you will ever get that back.

I've played tournaments perfectly and ended up with nothing except 3 hours wasted. I am talking about perfect reads and getting in there good everytime. I've also played tournaments where I've won cuz I got lucky at key moments.

You can't be a winner without SOME good luck.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cannot afford to play 100 MDS only to win on the 100th.I need luck to win on the up and coming.

Malnitruth

Malnitruth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The luck element is harsh.

It punishes good players, who by definition are good players because they consistently put themselves in +EV positions.

All you need is ONE unlucky break in a big pot to make a difference between winning and losing.

Yeah the conventional wisdom is to not be "result oriented," but ask yourself this, would you rather be making great moves but lose money or get lucky and win money?

I'd take the money everytime.

So if you are pissed if you got screwed by that moron who calls off his stack on a gutshot str draw and hits to put you down 200 BBs? You have every right to be mad. If some smarta$$ "pro" tells ya to suck it up cuz it's "variance," tell him to F off.

There's no guarantee you will ever get that back.

I've played tournaments perfectly and ended up with nothing except 3 hours wasted. I am talking about perfect reads and getting in there good everytime. I've also played tournaments where I've won cuz I got lucky at key moments.

You can't be a winner without SOME good luck.

Not everybody playing Poker to profit!!! You sound like an angry troll... Are you one of those isolated basement wizards with mustard all over his tummy? 8)

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop blaming luck of all your failures!! Deal with the reality. Be a man! (Or a women [emoji1320]) and keep on going. Thinking much will stop you from being bold and constant.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, there is luck in poker, but without the ability to play, too, nothing happens

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Totally agree, more factors affect poker.