Can Playing Poker Cause Depression?

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well if you are a compulsive gambler and do not know the time to spend all your savings with the game then yes it will jeopardize a chain of factors that will deter you depression but if you are not compulsive logic that is not only fun and leisure and makes you well.

L

Litosfrank17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
people suffering from depression disorders should not play poker since it is a game of great intelligence and above all self-control:dancing2:

THbc19

THbc19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a pre-disposition for depression, you can. The loss of money, especially, can cause psychological problems. I am not a doctor, but that is what I think about it.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gambling addiction is a disease from which anyone can get sick and this disease can lead to serious consequences including depression
If you are serious, then your question really should not be presented in an online forum.

But if you are trolling the forum, then my answer is Absolutely not, poker cannot be the cause of anyone’s depression, but the outcome of losing all your money is an obvious trigger point ……. Lmao

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course. Poker is a very emotional game. And first of all, you need to learn not to give in to emotions. If you can not control emotions, then the game can cause not only depression, but also any different reactions.

crusinnn

crusinnn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well if you are a compulsive gambler and do not know the time to spend all your savings with the game then yes it will jeopardize a chain of factors that will deter you depression but if you are not compulsive logic that is not only fun and leisure and makes you well.

You don’t have to be a compulsive gambler to affected by the chain of reaction. Chain of reaction starts with personal /mental issues then maybe addiction follows after taking loses from poker games due to poor mental health .

crusinnn

crusinnn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also not to get confused by the people who have mild anxiety and without proper bankroll management and financial foundation can lead to severe anxiety which starts the chain of reaction. That is why in many poker books you will see fundamentals of budgeting budgeting and learning the difference between a pro /novice or playing poker for fun or serous usually people without knowledge can do the opposite which is another set off of mental health However in my case I was actually good at balancing myself 10years prior to my divorce and although I’ve had my share of bad runs I’ve never succumb to a gambling addiction or depression which I get the short term blackout phase to reset myself. OP can see both sides and compare the difference

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure

I don't like to lose but, I am not sure it causes me to be depressed.

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes when you're in a downswing and you've switched your play 2, 3, 4, or more times and you still keep losing, it can start to make you feel like you cant do any thing right.

natasha555

natasha555

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, and maybe very much, you need to learn about relocating calmly and have cold nerves of iron nerves and steel eggs.))))

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Balls of steel-it's serious !
737730.jpg

VisionNutz

VisionNutz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think big downswings can cause depression if you play professionally. This is why you want to be more than rolled for the games you are playing.

+1

I can say I agree with this - been playing semi professionally and going through ridiculous types of swings/variance through Zoom games on poker stars. So I too struggle with depressed moods during losses. Many who don't play professionally will not understand. This is not about gambling or euphoria or addicition. Its a job and only source of income for some players like myself and many other grinders.

Right now or a couple months whenever I am getting dealt monster premium hands I am not even getting action to my raises. Reading this was helpful. The struggle is real lol gotta really love poker to endure the pain.

Depression is certainly a palpable way to feel if you bust your bankroll several times. Reading this, I would recommend staying focused on long term decisions. Not results oriented (but keep it in mind) and making good decisions.

:nurse: (random emoji lol)

savaxz

savaxz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

• I think that if you constantly play it, then certainly