Is playing poker a sin?

94EXPOS

94EXPOS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bottom line is that Religion and Politics should be left out of all conversations unless you wish to make enemies. For me personally, IMO the world would be a much better place without any and all religions as well as most politicians. I live my life by my own ethics and I don not need any Religion or Politician to try and tell me what is right and what is wrong. I trust my own judgement. If what you do makes you happy and you are not hurting anyone (including yourself) in any way, be it physically or mentally, then enjoy yourself and enjoy life.

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing with little money is a small sin. High limits are a greater sin.
Play freerolls and send the received money to charity. it will be a sin for good.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it is not a sin and as I know religions have different opinion about gambling....and "How is playing poker professionally different from playing tennis professionally. A tennis players pay an entry fee to enter into a tournament, and uses their skills."

Blurt Reynolds

Blurt Reynolds

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ha ha no it’s not a sin it’s good fun most of the time

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thinking like this is why the world is like it is now. is it sin (and who determines theses sins, surely not the people who proclaim it). Think in terms is it ammoral against your fellow man not some fantasy stuff rules

M

MickGreed

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its a sin if you let it interfere with your family, obligations providing care food, etc

DanyDiablo

DanyDiablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If poker is a sin save me a place in hell. Good hands.

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Add one to the seven deadly sins.:cool:

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I watched a program the other day called The Million Dollar Challenge where a Priest played first against a celebrity player for a trip to the Caribbean, then on to beat a Poker Pro for 25k all with the Assistance of Daniel Degraneu. Then had to beat Daniel for 100K and then on to the final for a chance of winning 1 million dollars,
He said if he won he would give all the money to his church so they could build a new replacement church as it was old and falling apart

If a priest can do that on T.V. How can it be a sin?

BigCaliber

BigCaliber

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on your belief system, as guilt can make all sorts of weird emotional effects on ones self , is that not what religion is based upon, making the population feel guilty every time one steps outside of the boundaries that were taught to throw the balance of good and evil out of whack , or to control large numbers of the population.

Dimission

Dimission

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is certainly a sin if it has become an addiction. When it is at the expense of your family and you can no longer do without it is certainly a sin in my opinion. And a lot of people balance on that point.

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I sure feel like I get punished like it is [emoji23][emoji23]

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's against your religion I suppose so but I do not regard it as a sin. I am not sure if some Arabic countries ban gambling. Might be wrong but think some countries like Aran ban gambling. If so, there it would be considered a sin by officials but that's kind of cultural.

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP, if you have to ask then I presume this subject is affecting your life. It's only a sin if you have to lie about the fact that you play poker.

Be an honest man, do right, and you'll create positive energy. Poker has nothing to do with religion.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a sin to steal from a man's pocket...And poker is an independent choice for everyone...

Wrathchild

Wrathchild

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a Secular Atheist/Laveyan Satanist who used to be a Jehovah's Witness, "sin" is in the eye of the beholder. Christians believe we're all sinners, and I know plenty devout folks who like to spend hours in front of slot machines. There is nothing in the 10 commandments against it, and given the bible is allegorically metaphorically at best, any passage regarding gambling of any form of sinful can get chucked out along with the other nonsense that fanatics base their beliefs on (extreme offense intended).

rodo 2285

rodo 2285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a believer, but if playing poker were a sin, what would be the atrocities that are seen in the world today. ex. wars, homicides, people starving:(

H

hcuervo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
No my friend, poker is not a sin, sins are already well defined and this game is not found. Poker is an additive pleasure:D

kidkarioka

kidkarioka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since when is winning or losing money a sin? Of course not!:eek::eek::eek:

kidkarioka

kidkarioka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not a game of luck, it is almost like the stock market, strategy and understanding, so it is not a sin .... I believe.

At the stock exchange we use technical or fundamental analysis to find the best opportunities for entry and exit of shares. In poker we use statistics, as well as other variables to calculate the possibility of winning the opponent. Let's say that, although different, there is some similarity between the two.