Phil Laak

P

poker d player

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure if any of you saw the Poker After Dark game where Phil was pounding drinks. He was any thing but a nit that game ... not that his strategy worked all that well. But I found it very entertaining to watch.

P

pittsburgh1

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil is definitely the most entertaining to watch... Annoying as fack when he's drunk but funny as fack with his hyperactive bipolar mad genius persona... He's always talking, but always observing and taking mental notes.... i havent seen him get crushed except for the drunken show.... check out the video of him in hospital after his ATV accident... funny as fack even in the hospital

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont know what his poker profit is, but i would imagine he's won more than lost

personality, i find him entertaining, but sometimes he just gets too much with the math stuff and babbling and he doesn't always have the numbers right

one thing i dont find entertaining is when Laak and Antonio "the magician" are at the same table ... they have this annoying little lingo thing that goes back and forth and it's really not funny ... separately, they are OK

danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure if any of you saw the Poker After Dark game where Phil was pounding drinks. He was any thing but a nit that game ... not that his strategy worked all that well. But I found it very entertaining to watch.

Yeah hahaha that was hilarious. He did however take things a bit too far with viffer (he took his chips and threw them into the pot at one point) Those series of episodes were highly entertaining though.

NiNjA BUS

NiNjA BUS

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I seen him instafold AJ preflop with nobody else raising. He is a very paranoid player, but very interesting. Never boring poker with him at a table.

K

kmax11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think phil laak its good enoguth to be a pro only think he got its jennfier tilly

E

eazy489

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean he did win a wsope bracelet last year, the guy obviously has some talent. He needs to work on his game, especially his 6-9 handed nlhe game. He gets owned by the likes of dwan and galfond on tv, and they aren't even super tough spots.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Laak's problem on HSP is he is totally intimidated/soul-owned by Dwan. When Dwan's not at the table he plays totally differently.

Watch two hands starting around 29:30 on here

Laak knows exactly where he's at with A2o and KQs that flop air against Negreanu and Nanonoko.

Check out this hand where Laak folds a full house on the river:

mapt02h

mapt02h

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow what a sick insta fold, great play there.

I find Laak interesting to watch to say the least, I'm all for banter at the table

momasaidnokuout

momasaidnokuout

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You gotta have some chatter at the table or it gets pretty mundane. Watching the wsop ME live got pretty stale there for a few hours. There wasnt much talk, just extremely SLOW play.

M

Money11Charlie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any pro that has established themselves on online, television or any other format deserves the title.Its always a gamble when the cards are being dealt.Its up to you to determine the odds.

M

Money11Charlie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
baudib1---That was incredible.That was a pro move in an extremely tight position.And to think there folks that think Laak doesnt deserve his pro staus.That is entertaining in its self.Heck of a fold.Impressive-

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
. Watching the WSOP ME live got pretty stale there for a few hours. There wasnt much talk, just extremely SLOW play.
I felt just the opposite (not meaning to derail thread here.... even if I am). Watching the ME live this yr. was some of the best (most interesting) TV poker I've watched.

P

poker d player

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think phil laak its good enoguth to be a pro only think he got its jennfier tilly

How you see him play against the top players in the world on a televised match, and how he might be playing with "average" pro players are probably far different. His numbers speak for themselves as far as being a successful pro.

As far as having Jennifer by his side, it must be nice.... plenty of places to stash your chips when on a good run or warm your hands when the deck gets cold ;)

B

bigphatmike

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Laak is a good player imo. He is an "image" player where his image of the unabomber is to be crazy and spontaneous, however he is very knitty. the last season of HSP he made some hero folds, he really did lose the minimum. he has had some good matches on Poker after dark you should check them out.
Hope that helped ya!
TTYL

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that there are better grinders out there who deserve more credit that Phil but I wouldn't go as far as hating him or say he sucks. He's won millions of dollars, plays high stakes against many high stake players, and I was impressed by his long session that he pulled last year. He does make a living through poker, so therefore, he is a pro in my book. This is just my opinion. OP can hate as much as he wants. I hate Cada, Gold, and Yang. So not gonna argue with the OP. After all, everyone's a hater. We all have people that we hate.

nc_royals

nc_royals

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean he did win a wsope bracelet last year, the guy obviously has some talent. He needs to work on his game, especially his 6-9 handed nlhe game. He gets owned by the likes of dwan and galfond on tv, and they aren't even super tough spots.

Yeah, you should definately be able to make a great living playing the likes of Dwan and Galfond.

S

samvoon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes ..dont think he is a pro at all .......waiting all the time only .... U can actually kick him out easily ...!!!

However because only goes in with VERY HIGH hand, long term can win money..!!! Only is a BORING Poker play

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for this, I knew making a 6figure salary from poker wasn't good enough to make him a pro

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes ..dont think he is a pro at all .......waiting all the time only .... U can actually kick him out easily ...!!!

However because only goes in with VERY HIGH hand, long term can win money..!!! Only is a BORING Poker play
Solid, again thanks