Phil Laak

LombardiStix

LombardiStix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am catching up on some TV poker via High Stakes Poker youtube. And I just wanted to see if anyone else agrees with me. I'd like to go ahead and take away Phil Laak's "pro" status. I've never seen him play well. Honestly... he's had a couple of wins, but really enough is enough. lol

Stix

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Laak one of my favourite players. Love him. Also watch him on pokerstars "the big game" I think he's up a ton of money (if I remember correctly).

pickup

pickup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just because you play poker on TV does not give you "pro" status. If you play poker for a living you are a professional poker player.

LombardiStix

LombardiStix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP was kinda tongue in cheek, but he's such a nit. lol Seems decent with numbers, but he's one pro I've never been impressed with.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree that he mostly plays like a nit on TV and that's not necessarily interesting to watch (his personality to some extent makes up for that) but IMO he's still very much a pro: he's a grinder though, not a flashy made-for-TV player.

danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its weird because his personality screams high stakes baller yet I've heard he regularly grinds like 25/50 nl live cash games. From what I heard he absolutely crushes those game but when he goes into these high stakes shows, its more for the TV Time than it is for it being +ev. He just resorts to playing Lederer style because its so much more than hes used to playing for.

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you really think any of the players on tv shows are playing their real game? thats like believing the wwe is wrestling

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you really think any of the players on tv shows are playing their real game? thats like believing the wwe is wrestling
...wait. So, you're saying that WWE isn't real...wrestling?

R

RVladimiro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am catching up on some TV poker via High Stakes Poker youtube. And I just wanted to see if anyone else agrees with me. I'd like to go ahead and take away Phil Laak's "pro" status. I've never seen him play well. Honestly... he's had a couple of wins, but really enough is enough. lol

Stix

I always wanted to know who gave the "pro" status.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He doesn't even need money his wife has gazillions. He can just dip in the Tilly fund if he ever goes broke.

LombardiStix

LombardiStix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its weird because his personality screams high stakes baller yet I've heard he regularly grinds like 25/50 nl live cash games. From what I heard he absolutely crushes those game but when he goes into these high stakes shows, its more for the TV Time than it is for it being +ev. He just resorts to playing Lederer style because its so much more than hes used to playing for.

I think you are prolly dead on. When he gets to the high stakes he plays SUPER scared with the exception of a very few moments. And he talks about "how much money it is" constantly, so you're probably right. He clams up and plays silly. He looks like he can't hang with any of the "pros" on there.

Yeah I do think a lot of the guys are playing their game. When there's over a mil on the table to win... yeah I think they're playing to win money and being on TV helps them with sponsorship stuff, but that's a lot of money and there are a lot of guys actually playing for it.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play poker for a living you are a professional poker player.

This. Being known or unknown has nothing to do with it. Nor can pro status be bestowed upon someone or taken away.

About Laak--I like him. Check out his monthly columns in bluff Magazine. He has a deep passion for poker as well as life, and his enthusiasm for both is positively infectious.

palmerd2

palmerd2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, I don't see how anyone could knock Phil Laak. He has the Guiness Record for longest poker session and over $2M on tournament winnings. At cash games, he wins tons of money by setting up a nitty table image that other players try to exploit, then he busts them (example: Matusow bluffs off his stack to Phil Laak, HSP Season 3) or raises them to $44,400 or $33,300 to scare them off (example 2: Light check-raise in a 3way pot vs. Chan and Kline, HSP Season 7). Haters gonna hate.

LombardiStix

LombardiStix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, I don't see how anyone could knock Phil Laak. He has the Guiness Record for longest poker session and over $2M on tournament winnings. At cash games, he wins tons of money by setting up a nitty table image that other players try to exploit, then he busts them (example: Matusow bluffs off his stack to Phil Laak, HSP Season 3) or raises them to $44,400 or $33,300 to scare them off (example 2: Light check-raise in a 3way pot vs. Chan and Kline, HSP Season 7). Haters gonna hate.

Again, it is really a tongue in cheek post.

DINGO8MYBABY

DINGO8MYBABY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like Phil Laak. I'd find it irritating to try to play poker near him, but I like him and think he's a good player.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Laak is down 20 points on the Pro status stock market. Its rough times.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Phil Laak is down 20 points on the Pro status stock market. Its rough times.
I actually heard it was '19'. Also heard it went up a few pts. when he got hammered on PAD (more young donk appeal) but then lost a few when the older donks submitted their pro status reports.

Oh & fwiw, TV poker is fake... just like poker on the interwebs... it's rigged obviously.

regd87

regd87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil makes poker entertaining to people who don't watch poker on tv regularly.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Laak raaks! Great player imo. Perhaps the higher stakes gets him off his game but he's up there with the best of them.

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let me see...... He won a WTP, won a bracelet and many other tournament, so he is not a pro. LOL. Seriously read his Bio. And watch him play live. If he is not a pro then what do you call him. If you won as much as him would you be consider a pro. LoL.

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His guest appearance on Loveline with Antonio is just. So. Damn. Good.

LombardiStix

LombardiStix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually heard it was '19'. Also heard it went up a few pts. when he got hammered on PAD (more young donk appeal) but then lost a few when the older donks submitted their pro status reports.

Oh & fwiw, TV poker is fake... just like poker on the interwebs... it's rigged obviously.

Thank you for understanding the spirit of the post. ffs

momasaidnokuout

momasaidnokuout

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Laak is defintely one of the most interesting players in the world to watch play poker. He has what most poker players dont have...PERSONALITY.

B

buster999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't like watching phil play. I find him annoying and his jokes are not even funny.