Phil Ivey bust out hand 2013 WSOP

Skull_Sniper

Skull_Sniper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was unfortunate for Ivey, but my favorite part of the hand was the showdown. Steinberg said "I gotta set" and Ivey's facial expression was priceless. Then Ivey said "aw, c'mon man, f**k" I was laughing out loud. I've been there too bud. It's just good to know that all the crazy hands you see online happen in real life too ALL THE TIME.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, lets just take a look at it, shall we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJF3-6Q8ppU

I was actually super surprised by his play here. With two players in the pot showing aggression already, I thought the huge overbet by shoving was maybe way over aggressive. I mean, would two ace range hands go at each other like that? Sure, but with bottom set you have to wonder if one might have AA. Even top two pair could see you dead with another A or 10, so you simply re-raise, right? See what happens after you do that? Not to mention the flush draw present!

Maybe that was what he was thinking - that the shorter stack had A-10/3 and Max only had a flush draw.

I only know this - Max was a happy camper after flat calling, I am certain! Had he re-raised, Ivey might have gotten away or gotten off for less.

I would quite gladly get it in against top two... why wouldn't you? You're an 4 to 1 favorite...

X

xlmnx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Woww in my opinion he thought he was 100% safe to make this bet cause of the weakness shown he looks tired like he was mentally taking a break. That was not a good time to half ass a hand this is prime example of what tourney play is all about!!

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're not a very good troll. You don't even rank on my troll-o-meter :rolleyes:

I'm playing Captain Obvious here, but I think he (mistakenly) thought "no flush draw" in the sense that he could see no one else had one (lol) - In which case, however, this makes him (potentially) a fish and not a troll. (Sorry AtiFCOD, gotta say the glasses comment was a bit smarty-pants on your part)

Say, Matt: I got the BS-O-Matic 9000 model; does the troll-o-meter offer the same accuracy at a lower price? (roflmao)

BTW; my meter pegged at the news of Phil winning 11 mil and not getting paid!

J

jcdagenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nothing he could really....very unlucky...ivey ran like a god before that hand

NvrBlufn

NvrBlufn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ok... we all know that you've gotta be aware of opponents stack sizes in a big MTT. Especially know when you are in a hand with someone else that is pretty deep.

In this case it was the other chip leader at the table, you HAVE TO KNOW THAT before you make an all-in bet during a hand!!! :afraid:

Fact: 2.5x Bb raise from early position with nothing but pocket ehs? There is a good reason serious tournament pros don't try to set mine out OOP with crappy low ones.

Fact: No re-raise from the field yet 3 callers at a full-ring feature table! (You have to realize a higher PP is seriously calling all day here).

Fact: Phil Ivey is absolutely one of the greatest gamblers of all time. I just decided to throw that in for good measure. I love him, but I'm not holding his hand through this one.

He put himself in a terrible spot. Maybe his mind was on his edge-sorting millions instead of this bracelet. A lot of things wrong with his play in this hand.

Enzo1089

Enzo1089

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jeez...I was not expecting that all-in from Ivey. Not at all. That was just ultra-over the top aggressive. I can kind of understand a big bet in this situation, but with 2 other guys in the pot and Steinberg having you covered, that was just the WRONG thing to do here.

Then again, when playing online I've been caught in the same situation that Ivey found himself in here. Busting out of a tournament when I went all in and then comes the set over set...trips just look way too nice sometimes lol.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread is tilting, WTF. Bottom set on a drawy board where villains can easily have aces up and combo draws is a totally standard stackoff. Dodging epic coolers is not how you win donkaments.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I was actually super surprised by his play here. With two players in the pot showing aggression already, I thought the huge overbet by shoving was maybe way over aggressive. I mean, would two ace range hands go at each other like that? Sure, but with bottom set you have to wonder if one might have AA. Even top two pair could see you dead with another A or 10, so you simply re-raise, right? See what happens after you do that? Not to mention the flush draw present!

Maybe that was what he was thinking - that the shorter stack had A-10/3 and Max only had a flush draw.

I only know this - Max was a happy camper after flat calling, I am certain! Had he re-raised, Ivey might have gotten away or gotten off for less.
so you don't want to get it in with bottom set vs. Top 2pr.? (because he might hit an A or T??)

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're not a very good troll. You don't even rank on my troll-o-meter :rolleyes:

Hmmm. It's pretty interesting that YOU call me troll who joined here in sept of 2012.
I joined here more then 3 years before you...so I expect more respect.

I think you know very well how I meant. There was no flush draw out there IN THE PLAYERS' HANDS. Maybe I expressed myself wrong but english not my native language, but we can continue discussing the hand in hungarian language at any time (in PM). ;)

I think Ivey thought he was against flush draw and wanted to take this pot at all costs. He made a big mistake with more than 100BBs. Ivey is one of my fav poker players, but he makes mistakes like everybody.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're right in that there was no flush draw in the players hands. Ivey however was not privy to that knowledge and therefore when speaking from his perspective you shouldn't inject information that he isn't aware of into the analysis.

That is the reason I didn't know what you were meaning.

Ivey played it fine. There was no mistake made.

And you'll get my respect once you earn it.

Fuffufnick

Fuffufnick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with those who say he was over aggressive here. Without a doubt he has to make a sizable raise in order to try to freeze out anyone drawing to a flush or at least take away the pot odds and make a draw tank on the wisdom of chasing. That said however, if he was reraised the money was going in anyway. His only escape would have been just a call to his raise,(doubtful since Stienburg would undoubtedly put in raise for the same reason) seeing the turn brought the feared flush and being able to fold there. just my donkish 2 cents

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for video,
That is was insane! man I love Phil but hes miss and shut down!
better luck, Phil Ivey!

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so you don't want to get it in with bottom set vs. Top 2pr.? (because he might hit an A or T??)

At the wsop main event? When I have a huge chip stack and I am facing two players who have shown aggression post flop, one of which has me covered? And all I have is bottom set? Against a possible full draw or a flush draw I have none of? I'm going to shove in that spot?

No, no I am not. Bottom set in a 3 way pot does not equal shove, IMO. :eek:

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm. It's pretty interesting that YOU call me troll who joined here in sept of 2012.
I joined here more then 3 years before you...so I expect more respect.

I think you know very well how I meant. There was no flush draw out there IN THE PLAYERS' HANDS. Maybe I expressed myself wrong but english not my native language, but we can continue discussing the hand in hungarian language at any time (in PM). ;)

I think Ivey thought he was against flush draw and wanted to take this pot at all costs. He made a big mistake with more than 100BBs. Ivey is one of my fav poker players, but he makes mistakes like everybody.

Well, telling me I needed glasses was a little over the top. I figured that was your mistake - you never, when discussing a hand, include what the outside observer knew at the time seeing all the hands. Only what the players could see. Otherwise, you risk taking away incredibly inaccurate conclusions from the discussion.:stupido2:

Yet, you are correct - he did not want to give a flush draw a cheap shot at it. That being said, sometimes you have no choice, like when it is a 3 way pot with lots of aggression. If you flat call and a non-flush card lands on the turn and then they both still show aggression, you might realize it is another set.

I'm telling you, I have seen him get away from a bottom set before. It's one of the hardest things to do, yet I have seen Ivey do it. He is one of the few smart enough to make the great escape of poker.

Juanes1913

Juanes1913

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damn what a shame for Mr. Ivey...
It's very hard to fold a set of 3's on the flop
I think he was playing very good this year but that last hand was pretty sick!
:/

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
At the WSOP main event? When I have a huge chip stack and I am facing two players who have shown aggression post flop, one of which has me covered? And all I have is bottom set? Against a possible full draw or a flush draw I have none of? I'm going to shove in that spot?

No, no I am not. Bottom set in a 3 way pot does not equal shove, IMO. :eek:
You didn't answer my question... instead you took the Michael Paler approach in an effort to come off sounding like you know what you're talking about when you clearly do not.
read baudib1's post in this thread. +1,000

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Well, telling me I needed glasses was a little over the top. I figured that was your mistake - you never, when discussing a hand, include what the outside observer knew at the time seeing all the hands. Only what the players could see. Otherwise, you risk taking away incredibly inaccurate conclusions from the discussion.:stupido2:

Yet, you are correct - he did not want to give a flush draw a cheap shot at it. That being said, sometimes you have no choice, like when it is a 3 way pot with lots of aggression. If you flat call and a non-flush card lands on the turn and then they both still show aggression, you might realize it is another set.

I'm telling you, I have seen him get away from a bottom set before. It's one of the hardest things to do, yet I have seen Ivey do it. He is one of the few smart enough to make the great escape of poker.
Michael, your responses are tilting because you do not know what you are talking about but try desperately to sound as if you do. Why?
You're a 10cent tourney player with a highest cash of $1.78 but you can tell us what Ivey was thinking... please!

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There was no flush draw out there. Use glasses. ;)

3 of spades, 10 of hearts, Ace of spades on the flop; that isn't a flush draw?

Who needs glasses now, lol. :eek:

I'm playing Captain Obvious here, but I think he (mistakenly) thought "no flush draw" in the sense that he could see no one else had one (lol) - In which case, however, this makes him (potentially) a fish and not a troll. (Sorry AtiFCOD, gotta say the glasses comment was a bit smarty-pants on your part)

Say, Matt: I got the BS-O-Matic 9000 model; does the troll-o-meter offer the same accuracy at a lower price? (roflmao)

BTW; my meter pegged at the news of Phil winning 11 mil and not getting paid!

Ati PWNED

xtrigemino

xtrigemino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who is Ivey? for sure a fish with a dream

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You didn't answer my question... instead you took the Michael Paler approach in an effort to come off sounding like you know what you're talking about when you clearly do not.
read baudib1's post in this thread. +1,000

I did answer the question. I would recommend a remedial reading comprehension course so you can figure this stuff out and converse like you understand what folks post. I only say that because this is about the 20th time you have made that accusation. It's getting old.

Michael, your responses are tilting because you do not know what you are talking about but try desperately to sound as if you do. Why?
You're a 10cent tourney player with a highest cash of $1.78 but you can tell us what Ivey was thinking... please!

I'm not tilting at all. And you got the decimal point wrong...I have around 178.00 in wins between Carbon, Lock, and Bovada since joining CC. Not including WPT - that would be another 150.00 or so over the subscription fee I broke even on every month while I was a member. I guess math is not your cup of tea either, lol.

I do not know why you insist on following my posts and insulting me. I have been man enough to admit when I am wrong, yet when you get proven incorrect you simply ignore it and later say I do not know what I am talking about.

Yet, I am starting to get the picture of why you insist on doing this;

Attachments

• troll.jpg
    troll.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 61
M

manjake

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the big overbet here was to make it look like a semi-bluff with a drawing hand. Unfortunately he was beat, you can't blame Ivey for getting it all in here. I was more suprised by Steinbergs call with possible draws on the flop

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

WSOP Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands