Phil Ivey bust out hand 2013 WSOP

R

redwards92

never going to move up
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only possible way ivey gets away is if he raises 3bets less and steinberg just calls (he would have to just call as any raise would mean they are getting it in)

IMO there is nothing wrong here ivey likes to play big pots and get it in when he has the 3rd nuts that is his style, nothing wrong with that.

R

redwards92

never going to move up
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the big overbet here was to make it look like a semi-bluff with a drawing hand. Unfortunately he was beat, you can't blame Ivey for getting it all in here. I was more suprised by Steinbergs call with possible draws on the flop

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

surprised by the call ?? that's a joke right? lol

M

manjake

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I meant his first call on the flop, suprised he didn't re-raise with 2 spades on the flop. Of course he called iveys all in lol

R

redwards92

never going to move up
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I meant his first call on the flop, suprised he didn't re-raise with 2 spades on the flop. Of course he called iveys all in lol

oh yeah I see what you mean now lol

I figure his only option to help disguise the strength of his hand was to just call (although it didn't really matter as ivey had also flopped a set and would assume ivey would still get it in even if steinberg had raised) and it worked because ivey tried to push max off whatever he (ivey) thought max had in hopes that the amateur in the hand would call off with two pair or worse only to run into one of the two hands(which were pretty damn unlikely) that had him beat after that flop.

IMO nothing more then a cooler here, both ivey and steinberg played it well.

If it did end up fish raise, steinberg raise and ivey found a just call it would have been interesting to see what the action would have been i guess post turn and river as I think if I remember correctly the board ended up running out 4 spades

M

manjake

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, I think a 3rd spade would've maybe allowed ivey to get away from it

T

tekshow

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
that was a rough one to watch! Right before hand I was like "Ivey's gonna clear the table, the only one who can cover his stack is Steinberg." And then it happened!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Even top two pair could see you dead with another A or 10, so you simply re-raise, right? See what happens after you do that? Not to mention the flush draw present!

so you don't want to get it in with bottom set vs. Top 2pr.? (because he might hit an A or T??)

At the WSOP main event? When I have a huge chip stack and I am facing two players who have shown aggression post flop, one of which has me covered? And all I have is bottom set? Against a possible full draw or a flush draw I have none of? I'm going to shove in that spot?

No, no I am not. Bottom set in a 3 way pot does not equal shove, IMO. :eek:
My question was quite specific & was worded as such because of a portion of what you'd written in your post. (nowhere did I ask you if you'd get it in with bottom set in the actual wsop hand in question).
So you didn't actually answer my question.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My question was quite specific & was worded as such because of a portion of what you'd written in your post. (nowhere did I ask you if you'd get it in with bottom set in the actual WSOP hand in question).
So you didn't actually answer my question.

Asked and answered previously. Still at it I see.

Attachments

• troll.jpg
    troll.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 52
S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's not "at it".

I'll put you out of your misery now before PO has the opportunity to rip you to pieces over this (though he may still do anyway).

Basically. If you don't want to get it in with the best hand i.e bottom set vs top two. Your not at a point in your poker career where you can fully understand what these guys were doing and why.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's not "at it".

I'll put you out of your misery now before PO has the opportunity to rip you to pieces over this (though he may still do anyway).

Basically. If you don't want to get it in with the best hand i.e bottom set vs top two. Your not at a point in your poker career where you can fully understand what these guys were doing and why.

LMAO. No, let me correct that; ROFLMAO.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact that you would be scared of top two or a FD when holding bottom set proves my point. Even the fish I play against aren't that scared. I can only assume you are some sort of weak-tight nitfish.

robhimself

robhimself

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Super standard. Pretty silly to try to armchair analyze the play of the best NLH player in the world.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact that you would be scared of top two or a FD when holding bottom set proves my point. Even the fish I play against aren't that scared. I can only assume you are some sort of weak-tight nitfish.

But he knew that Steinberg had a huge stack too, and couldn't call in all-in bet with top 2 pair or a flush draw, especially when he could fold and still have a ton of chips. That was worded a little weird, but ivey might be scared of a flush draw (especially 3 handed) and want to get all the chips in now while he is (probably) ahead, or just have everybody fold their draws.

I'm agreeing with you for the record haha, there's been a lot of tension in the thread...

I'm still not sure about it though. I mean, if I was Ivey and flopped bottom set & getting action from two people, I'm probably gonna try to stack them. At the same time though, he was doing so well in the tourney, if he just called the raise on the flop (probably a bad play with flush draw and broadway draw on the board), then he probably doesn't go broke.

He can really only get called by a better hand. Maybe even AT but maybe not. Ivey was just trying to end the hand (and he'll have the best hand most of the time). As Norman chad said, Max did a good job of disguising his hand as an ace or a flush draw

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Super standard. Pretty silly to try to armchair analyze the play of the best NLH player in the world.

It's certainly not silly in this instance. It's not like Ivey's thought process here is different from anyone else who makes the same move. I particularly like Max's play here though, some players jump the gun and raise in his spot.

Edit: just seen your post above me Sam. TBH I couldn't see either of the other two folding top two pair. I'm not all that into tournaments but I would never be doing so in a cash game, especially not against as aggressive an opponent as Ivey. Max wasn't really flatting it for deception I don't think. By cold 3Betting he folds out everything that isn't in a cooler vs cooler situation against him. My plan in his place would be to call the raise OTF and X/J any non spade turn, I assume he was thinking along similar lines. Ivey's play could be analysed fully but in short - A shove in this spot is the best value-oriented move he can make.

Last edited:
sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's certainly not silly in this instance. It's not like Ivey's thought process here is different from anyone else who makes the same move. I particularly like Max's play here though, some players jump the gun and raise in his spot.

Edit: just seen your post above me Sam. TBH I couldn't see either of the other two folding top two pair. I'm not all that into tournaments but I would never be doing so in a cash game, especially not against as aggressive an opponent as Ivey. Max wasn't really flatting it for deception I don't think. By cold 3Betting he folds out everything that isn't in a cooler vs cooler situation against him. My plan in his place would be to call the raise OTF and X/J any non spade turn, I assume he was thinking along similar lines. Ivey's play could be analysed fully but in short - A shove in this spot is the best value-oriented move he can make.

I'm a little bit of a nit, but if I'm in Max's position I'm absolutely 3-betting post flop. Because if I just call, then Ivey gets priced in to call with a lot of hands, and I am petrified of a spade peeling off on the turn with 2 other players in the hand.

And even if a spade comes off on the turn, I'm still probably gonna have to call a turn bet (even if I know I'm behind, I'm about 25% to make a full house and almost definitely have the best hand)

I personally (zero WSOP cashes, for the record) probably would've played it safe if I was Max. 3-bet postflop, tell everybody I have a monster, collect the medium-sized pot, and play the next hand. Of course, he picked up a little more chips the way he played it..

H

hiroknows

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love phil ivey. what I like most about phil ivey is his poker face. you cant read his face.

Fishpicker13

Fishpicker13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I love about this hand is that Mr. Ivey blows it, makes the face that shows he knows he blew it, and is still a gentleman at the table. No cursing, no explosions, no classless displays that are so common in these situations. Just a pro at work. What a great example for aspiring gamblers...

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I love about this hand is that Mr. Ivey blows it, makes the face that shows he knows he blew it, and is still a gentleman at the table. No cursing, no explosions, no classless displays that are so common in these situations. Just a pro at work. What a great example for aspiring gamblers...

How do you think Phil Hellmouth would have taken it? Lol, I doubt with near as much dignity and grace.

Did you see how he went out this year? Essentially bluffed off all of his chips and just could not understand how someone with an actual hand could beat him out of a pot. Unreal. Apparently, his definition of "white magic" is "where everyone in the entire world just folds to my bluff bets and never ever raise me, if they are holding the best hand or not".

Har-ha-har.

WSOP Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands