Phil Ivey the best poker player alive?

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah little problem with the thread title and choosing Stuey:confused: . Until he manages to put a bad beat on death, I'd have to say Ivey is the best currently, and Stuey is likely the greatest of all time.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cause Stu's online graph really sucks

The whole point of this thread was "Is phil Ivey the best player alive?"

This means the arguments should consist of players still living that can challenge Ivey.

Stu Ungar is no longer living, therefore cannot challenge Ivey

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The whole point of this thread was "Is phil Ivey the best player alive?"

This means the arguments should consist of players still living that can challenge Ivey.

Stu Ungar is no longer living, therefore cannot challenge Ivey

If you try, I'll bet you can come up with a cuppla more ways to say the same thing. ;)

-

A

always2away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ivey is fearless and truly exceptional, but, for consistent excellent decision making its Johnny Chan.

Chans the best since Ungar.

K

kevinr1979

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best alive is probally someone nobody has ever heard of ;)

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ivey is fearless and truly exceptional, but, for consistent excellent decision making its Johnny Chan.

Chans the best since Ungar.

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

hawkcarter

hawkcarter

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Ivey

Would love for my game to be on his level one day before i leave this earth.:)

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Antonio Esfandiari - "THE GREATEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD"

Antonio Esfandiari - "THE GREATEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD" at 2:26

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I would certainly give him a vote for one of the best looking. Prob Eric Lindgren would get the top vote in that category

D

deeshark420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
about phils in poker

phil ivey is a great player of poker but phil helmouth really knows the game he is an all time favorite player we cannot leave out. I love texas holdem and have learned some good things over the tears from both of the players mentioned.hope everyone is having great poker games.:D

4thandinches

4thandinches

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best poker player alive would ideally and logically be that person who SOLELY makes money off his poker skills, and needs NO other source of income because he is that good.
Unfortunately, based on that criteria, there is no such person, so crowning Ivey as this person is ludicrous. Phil wisely makes his money off other investments and it is virtually impossible to make a living on one's poker knowledge.
If Ivey was as great as people claim (and he obviously knows Hold Em as well as anyone) he would easily dominate the final tables that he made it to. But being that poker is so much luck over skill, he regularly FAILS in these situations.

4thandinches

4thandinches

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, why do you think there are so many new faces at the final tables of major tournaments. Is it because players that have had past success have suddenly gotten dumber and forgotten how to play the game? No, once someone learns basic math, chip count, position, etc., they know as much about the game as almost anyone else.
Think about it: if one's math knowledge guaranteed success long-term at the Hold Em tables, David Sklansky would be regularly seen at final tables. Instead, you rarely even see him even playing the game.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
phil hellmuth is the best player in the world....

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best poker player alive would ideally and logically be that person who SOLELY makes money off his poker skills, and needs NO other source of income because he is that good.

EXACTLY!!! If Peyton Manning was a better quarterback he would not have to worry about making millions doing endorsements and making business deals.

If LeBron James actually knew how to play basketball...

If Alec Baldwin could act....

If Negreanu could play a lick of poker...

If you weren't a moron....

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
phil hellmuth is the best player in the world....

Wut??? Again? C'mon Phil stop hiding behind a made-up name on our site:eek: . Just admit that you and this mythical "Alyoung" are the same person:D .

Seriously, no one disputes that PH is an amazing player. But very few would argue that he is the best in the world when you consider ALL aspects of the game. Phil's forte is tournament NLHE. There is way more to poker than that. His cash game doesn't get a ton of respect from many of the other top pros. He isn't considered to be at the top of other formats either (Razz, Stud, Omaha, etc, etc). If you consider all-around mastery of the game Hellmuth, while admittedly very, very good, would not be at the top of most peoples' lists.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wut??? Again? C'mon Phil stop hiding behind a made-up name on our site:eek: . Just admit that you and this mythical "Alyoung" are the same person:D .

Seriously, no one disputes that PH is an amazing player. But very few would argue that he is the best in the world when you consider ALL aspects of the game. Phil's forte is tournament NLHE. There is way more to poker than that. His cash game doesn't get a ton of respect from many of the other top pros. He isn't considered to be at the top of other formats either (Razz, Stud, Omaha, etc, etc). If you consider all-around mastery of the game Hellmuth, while admittedly very, very good, would not be at the top of most peoples' lists.

So is he the best tournament hold 'em player in the world?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think that Phil is the absolute best, however I do believe that he is the best at winning the most amt verses a wide variety of players.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So is he the best tournament hold 'em player in the world?

Hard to say. It would depend upon what metric you decide to use, but I certainly think you could make a far more compelling case for that arguement than for simply "Greatest Living Poker Player".

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
phil ivey is a great player of poker but phil helmouth really knows the game he is an all time favorite player we cannot leave out. I love texas holdem and have learned some good things over the tears from both of the players mentioned.hope everyone is having great poker games.:D
As far as Helmuth goes, not sure if this was a slip here.... or if you actually meant 'tears' (if 'tears', then yah I'd have to say I've learned some good things over Helmuth's tears also).

4thandinches

4thandinches

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
EXACTLY!!! If Peyton Manning was a better quarterback he would not have to worry about making millions doing endorsements and making business deals.

You are forgetting one crucial point: The above non-pokers players you mentioned would still be VERYwell off from their professions because as long as they are actively playing sports or acting, they are still earning a hefty paycheck. And the commercial endorsements add to their wealth.
However, poker players have no guarantees of making money while playing, and can and do actually lose money in the process. Based on this failure by you to understand the simple difference, that would actually make you the moronic one.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Bernard_confused.gif

p937f.gif

Organize a Home Poker Game