Patience an important skill?

S

sharon mckee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience is important from my point of view because most players go with the first decent hand they get and are allin then get beat.

steved757

steved757

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont know about it being the most important thing but it is definitely one of the top 3 things. Its so many key factors in poker that it is hard to say which is the most important. Because you can be very patient but still end up losing if the cards are not going your way and/or if you misread a crucial hand.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think focus is important....always keep your mind moving. Player types, what they are willing to call/raise/fold, how they keep their chips, how they check, raise, call, what they talk about, are they being distracted by their phones/food/booze, etc. I am still working on this skill...I try to go two hours and then get up for about ten minutes or so to give my mind a break, then jump back in.

My most memorable fish-tag was the gentleman reading the newspaper in between hands...no joke. You know for sure they are not thinking about the game.

FaelN

FaelN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess it is the most important if you are patience you might do well

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Need to add TILT in there so it's PPPnoT LOL

L

Lexxx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe patience is a top 3 quality in a good player but I feel that the ability to learn to identify what your opponents strengths, weaknesses and tendencies is the MOST crucial skill to poker success. And learning what the other players are doing, or what they may do takes patience and observation. I see a lot of players talking about position, stack size, ect. but no one seems to mention reading ability and that's common because it's a rare thing to find someone who concentrates hard enough on the game to understand when and why a player is making a certain move. Just about everyone can identify the rock, when he/she makes a big preflop raise you know it's because they have a monster; similarly, the same is true with the maniac who wants to push with any suited junk and roll the dice. But being able to identify the other players, like the big blind defender, the button raiser, someone who always CB's the flop no matter what hits when you already know that he has a medium pair; these are the things that will make a good player into a great one. I value hand strength and position, but if I know that I can push my stack all in middle position because all of the players behind me are super tight and will fold anything but premium hands, that's info that I can use to my advantage regardless of anything else. And online poker makes it easier to do than live tourneys and cash games because in most places you can take notes so that not only can you know how a player plays at this moment, but you can track their game over time. Some people play the same way over and over, but that isn't the majority. Most people hone their skills and modify their game over time, others play according to their moods, still others play differently depending on their bankrolls, and there are those who seem to play great for awhile but then have a blowup. You will be amazed by what you can learn about a player by tracking them throughout a few tournaments. By the middle stages of most tournaments I enter I have at least a few notes on every player that I've sat with (and of course I keep updating, even when I am fortunate enough to make it to heads up), this info always pays off! By that time you are pretty accurately putting your opponents on a range of hands depending on those documented tendencies and you should know how to play back at them successfully. The added bonus is that when you stick to a few different sites, you will come to realize that you are seeing the same people over and over and you will already have reads on them.
So, yes, patience is really a big key to poker. But not in the traditional way people think about what having patience is. Use your patience to learn what the other people are doing (and why) and your profits will soar.

Excelent opinion!!! Congrats!

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You will get yourself in sticky situations if you play a hand because you're bored. Play tight and wait for premiums.

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont know if its the most important thing, but its definitively one of the most important things. Everybody knows that, when you are in tournament and you are card dead for long time. Or when you are in cashgame with some fish and you just have to wait for that hand to get his money...

AvaPoker13

AvaPoker13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is the greatest skill a poker player can have.

D

DawnNuts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker can teach you patience and to keep composure

ChillinVillian

ChillinVillian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My game has improved a lot with the thought of waiting for premium hands early on and loosening up as the game goes to bubble then kind of just playing solid poker after the final table is reached . So yes I think it is very important myself and have CC to thank for it ! ;)

Z

Zin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is the most important skill in poker.

M

Mantones

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes,in my opinion patience is the most important skill that a poker player could have :).I can see that at Panka,is a great guy with no any clue given when he plays a hand.He just waited 5 minutes to call all in with AA

J

Jakesilent

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is definitely one of the most imporatnt skills in poker. However, like it is with any other skill in poker, it needs to be well balanced. In general, in cash games, it is better to be more patient. But in tournaments being to patient might mean to get far in the tournamnet, but not far enough to collect price money as with rising blinds you might find yourself to loose all your chips on blinds and antes.

onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Is patience most important thing in poker?

Patience is important during all time u play. But most of bad beats are based on patience, I mean when you trying to slow playing for bigger pot. So, I think 50/50 - patience/aggressive

rensks

rensks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thelast thing i have.... god i need more patience in this game! xD

H

HypeHillbilly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is the most important thing i think
I found myself with 3 people left to final table and i told myself i was gonna fold until final table and what do i do i get a premium hand and over play it and go out 13th when i just told myself i was gonna fold out you need to be patient specially when your so close to final table i do this enough that im trying to work on it but it is really hard when you get good cards but sometimes its worth more folding then playing them

O

OldDog456

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it is something I need improvement in, it is definitely a way that I have busted out when I lost it.

C

colacho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is very important in poker, but not only this is important .. Patience in poker should be combined with other things to take greater force our game

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without patient,you cannot play poker.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You definately need patience in poker and the good thing is that it can teach you patience in life.......A good balance is needed. Gl :D:D:D