Only fish use the word "Luck"

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not believe in 99% until I see the river, as it 's called?

Floyd1994

Floyd1994

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well said, still feels like AA vs QQ ends in a bad beat 80% of the time for me but probably just a psychological matter:rolleyes: .

Diegol

Diegol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't know i had a bad time where i lose with hands with 85 or more chances to win and then the river give the card that the oponent needs. But my mantra is "the more you know the luckier you get"

bizarez

bizarez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Certainly Poker - is a card game. The probability of getting a particular card is pure mathematics, but ... at the table or MTT sit several or many players -this purely mathematical probability distribution, collect of cards to the players and sets of combinations for each of the players ... BUT ... Luck - it is what are the cards and which combinations will fall to you personally!

P

prosu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is in poker but I think about it in the sense that without luck there would be no fish in the pond.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When Negranue go all in with 88 vs KK,and on river show 8,in that situation he is not luck guy,he is big skiller?? :D
Common man grown up!

B

Birdman33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is just part of poker. You can call me a catfish lol

D

DrakeM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If someone with a 1%-chance to win a hand actually wins it, thats pretty much what you usually call luck -.-

And if someone points a lucky draw out and calls it what it is, why is he a fish? Doesnt make any sense to me

I

I2jr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is the luck factor, I do not think it's just a use of the fish, chances are that on the flop you have the best hand and on the turn or river you lose it and it's only two cards or one that modifies that, but we say fish To which I win with that factor luck for the one who wins because maybe he does not like to lose his hand but if that person wins the hand he will say that he was well played and it was not luck, so is poker and as long as you have a chance of winning it is not necessarily a Fish, have a very good day everyone

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dude, even the best players in the world have days when the cards run bad and others when the cards run good. Luck is certainly a part of the game. Good players eventually come out on top, but they need to catch a good flop or 2 along the way. I personally do not agree with your statement.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the theory correctly,as practice shows, often shows more.

M

Mauno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think "fish" is hoping more to get good cards from flop compared to experienced players. Sometimes theyr hope will come true and it pushes thme to continue similar style. Itäs hard if You play agains 8 fishes.. somebody from them will get lucky against You almost every time.

A

Allmine79

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strong statement, maybe, but I believe it holds true and here is why.

First I come from Blackjack background and the lessons learned there directly apply to poker.

The first thing you need to realize is that you are playing the percentages and it is your job to make plays when those percentages are in your favor. If you make plays when they are not in your favor then it is called gambling.

The second thing you need to come to grips with is the fact you are not going to win every hand even when the odds are 99% in your favor. There is no luck involved, just a mathematical fact that you will loose 1% of the time over the long haul in those situations.

So starting with these two facts we approach the game knowing that we are not playing just one hand or even one game, but rather a period of time that includes many games with the bigger the sample the more likely variances are absorbed.

Catching cards or bad beats are only a product of the odds. If you play the odds over the long haul you will be successful. If is your job play those preferred times that increase your success.

Blackjack is but a simplified game of poker where you are not allowed to play against people, but the choice when to raise, call or fold are still the same. What holds true for both games is the fact that you need to be prepared to take advantage of the odds when they are in your favor. Gambling on long shots will more often than not drain your stack and leave you unable to maximize the value of a hand.

Remember that once the cards are shuffled the die is cast and there is no luck involved. There are only opportunities that pass by now and then. Be patient and wait for the best chance of success and remember that an 80% favor to win also means that 20% of the time you will loose. No luck, just math.

I couldn't of said this better myself. Great post because I too hate the words sorry, unlucky or lucky. You play the game seriously knowing variables will always be part of the game. Its about playing solid like you said when the percentages are in your favor. Everything in life has risk involved but the key is take action when the risk are lower and chances are you will come out ahead long term. Great post man!!:)

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Alas , I'm a fish . :eek: No luck playing poker ? :heeeellll:stickyman:dontknow:Well, well,then You Alberteinstein:top: