FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
"More Low Limit SNG Online Tells - by gidders"

Here's another article.....

Here are a few online donk tells I’ve discovered.
1.  The Coddle Bet.  It’s when a player makes a very enticing bet for you to call, because they know they have a better hand than you.  It’s just like them saying "C’mon, call me…I don’t have that good of a hand…" They really want you to call to maximize value on the hand.  You see it a lot when the player makes his hand on the turn and bets so quickly, you are not even sure they saw the river card (meaning it didn’t matter to their hand.) An example would be a board like… Qd Td 4c 6d As. You are quite positive that they must have the flush, because the ace on the river didn’t scare them at all (didn’t even take notice of the card, really) because they had already made their flush on the turn, so who cares what the river is?  I am getting better at folding to these coddle bets, because the speed of the bets are so quick and so smallish that it is very unlikely that they are bluffing.  The coddle bet also happens after a really bad beat, leaving the player with say 900 chips at 75/150… the player raises to 300/450.  Okay, this
just SCREAMS to me very good hand.  If they were tilting, wouldn’t they be more liabel to just push it all in preflop very quickly?  Why would they want to play the hand out if they were THAT frustrated?  Wouldn’t they just rather test their luck all in preflop?  It’s pretty clear to me that the donk DOESN’t want you to fold, but wants to build up the pot, so they can eventually get it all in.
2.  The Short-Stack Min-Raise.  This also just screams out good hand.  Blinds 100/200 4 handed, and UTG (1200) raises to 400.  C’mon.  How badly do you want a caller here?  Your bet says "I want to build the pot up but I definitely DON’T wanna scare anyone out with too big of a raise here with my KK…I wanna get paid off and double up with this hand!  Hopefully someone
thinks my min raise is weak and will come over the top… boy am I ever fooling everyone!"  If the short stack min raises my BB, I am more likely to through away a hand like T2d or Q7o because I don’t think I can hit my hand hard enough on the flop  to be confident in it.  Meaning that I don’t want to double up the shortstack with the hand should I happen to catch top pair.
How could I fold top pair headsup in a 4 handed game, right?  But preflop I almost KNOW he has a high pocket pair, so why get involved in the first place?
3.  The Quick Big Bet Call.  I usually find that most donks don’t even really consider how much the bet is if they have a
flush draw, or an openended straight draw.  It’s kind of like "O..M..G!  There is two spades on the board now and I have the
Ace and a Two… if I catch a spade now, I will have the NUTS!!  The nuts is UNBEATABLE!! I want to catch this flush because
than I will KNOW for SURE that I have the best hand and than I can bet out or raise this guy and win the pot!"  Donk’s don’t
think about the pot odds.  Donk’s don’t think about the implied odds.  They don’t even know what they are.  All they know, is
that if that spade falls, they are winning that pot.  And that is very important to them.  To have a hand that can’t be beat
by any other hand.
4.  The unusually large pre-flop bet.  Blinds are 25/50, player has about 1100 chips and goes all in UTG.  What the…?  You are sitting there thinking to yourself, with WHAT hand does that bet make sense with??  To you, no hand warrants that play.   Well, think from a donk’s perspective.  To me, this bet clearly means "I don’t have a clue in the world how to play this  hand, so I’ll just push all in and hope everyone folds, or if someone calls I’ll be ‘racing’"  Just the other day a player did this, and I had 99 in the SB with about 1600 chips.  She pushes from UTG, and I think "she has a hand she doesn’t wanna play because she’s so scared of overcards that she’d rather just take the ‘race’.  She wouldn’t make this play with TT because  she probably thinks that TT is a premium hand and wants some action… so what hand could she have?  AQ?  AK?…ah I know, a low pocket pair, 55-88

" So I decided to test out my reading abilities, and sure enough she had 88.  Normally I wouldn’t make that call for that amount of chips that early in a SNG, but when I really broke it down - a lower pocket pair made the most sense, and I was willing to ‘race’ against two overs to have my chip stack advantage throughout the next couple of levels. 
5.  The Highlighted Check button.  Usually early on in a SNG, but if somebody has that thing clicked, I will almost always fire out a 2x or 3x BB bet against 1 or 2 opponents.  If he has no interest in playing the hand, I am going to test him out.  If he calls my bet, than I know he is trying to be sneaky.  But most often if that guy has the check/fold button clicked, just bet a bit and see what happens… you’re probably going to take it down.  That’s not really any difficult advice, though.

How to use these to your advantage.
1.  After a bad beat, if you are dealt a premium hand - push all in.  To everybody else at the table, it looks like you are on tilt and just pissing away your remaining chips.  So many times I have pushed with a hand like QQ after a bad beat and  gotten a call from like A4o or something.  It is a very good way to disguise your premium hand by pushing all in quickly
after you take a bad beat.  How can they put you on THAT strong of a hand when it looks to them like a desperation play?  The steam raise works very effectively, as it is shadowed by your supposed tilt.
2.  If you have a hand that is playable with a small stack, instead of pushing all in - min raise.  To most people, this will look like you want action.  If you have a hand like QTs or something, and figure that this is the best hand you’re  probably going to see, than try to fool them into thinking you are bigger than you actually are.  A min-raise or 3x raise
here looks like you actually WANT action, whereas a straight up all in bet looks desperate.  On another note, I will almost always raise like all of my chips except for 50 or 100 because I want my opponent to have to raise all in.  Let’s say I’m in SB 4 handed, with 850 chips at 100/200.  I will raise to 800, making it look like I still kind of want action.  I’m willing to bet that more people would rather just CALL a small stack’s all in than reraise it all in for 50 or 100 chips more.  I  don’t know why this is, though.  But I think it might be that it could ruin their image at the table. "He just reraised all  in with K4o!"  I know it shouldn’t make a difference, but in that split second decision making progress your opponents go through, his mind might be telling him ‘you can’t reraise all in with K4o!" whereas he might be liabel to call it.  Seems to work for me.
3.  Using the quick call on a 2 flush card flop, when you flop a set.  If you call quickly, it might send the image that you are a donk chasing his flush draw.  It also works out perfectly, if the flush doesn’t fall at the river, because than you can  raise a healthy amount and probably get called by top pair who thinks you missed your flush draw.  You may even induce the bettor to go all in on the turn with his top pair thinking he’s pushing you off of the flush draw, when really you’ve had him crushed all along. 
4.  A ‘risky’ play to make with a high pocket pair, but if you open a pot for an absurd amount with KK or AA, you might be able to get an ego call from a small PP or a hand like AJc, who are wondering what the hell kind of bet that was.  I don’t normally do this type of play, unless the table has set up for me to do this.  It’s probably not the best play, but if you notice a lot of  loose calls, than this play UTG might not be a bad option.  It really disguises your hand.  Do not show your hand after you do this.  This kind of bet will allow you to do the exact same thing later on, because people will be frustrated with your weird huge bets, and will be more likely to make an ego call on you. 
5.  Highlight the check button when you flop, first or near first to act.  I find that if I have a hand like 66 in the BB, and the flop comes KT6 or something, I have pretty much stated to the other players in the hand "you guys battle it out!".   I would recommend that this be one of the only times you checkraise.  But I would say that checkraise for a big amount, as
if you are saying "I don’t believe you, I raise!" when really you are playing your set very fast.  You may not get a caller, but in my experience, if you have the check clicked, than suddenly come out of nowhere to raise it up big, it really looks like you are trying to steal the pot with nothing.  If they fold, then you can show your set - and probably get a lot more free cards outta position, because you have shown that you will play your made hands fast and hard. 

I just want to say that all of these tells are what I have viewed over the course of hundreds SNG’s.  I have seen enough of these plays, and have enough of these plays work for me to feel that they would be something you can watch for, and test out for yourself

B

buckshot40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't put much into that. The only thing that works for me is being at a table for a long time and knowing when a guy is on tilt.

As far as flopping the nuts goes, you might as well bet at it if you were the raiser. Slow playing the nuts is the dumbest thing, I've won some of my biggest pots by looking like I'm making a continuation bet and then getting raised big. Before he knows it, he's pot committed and can't fold.

qia1989

qia1989

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't put much into that. The only thing that works for me is being at a table for a long time and knowing when a guy is on tilt.

As far as flopping the nuts goes, you might as well bet at it if you were the raiser. Slow playing the nuts is the dumbest thing, I've won some of my biggest pots by looking like I'm making a continuation bet and then getting raised big. Before he knows it, he's pot committed and can't fold.
lol,i never call when sb suddenly raise at the river,and i see many player s when came across the soution,they always flod,.

I

IhateRiver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that it is important to try out all of the different types of poker games. It helps with your overall knowledge of the game and makes you a better overall player. A good example is Phil Ivey, hes won 7 bracelets at the wsop with none of them coming from No Limit Texas Holdem. He is considered the best player now due to being able to play all the variety of games so well. You can also look at Phil Hellmuth, who has won 11 bracelets but all of them some sort of holdem. He lacks the full spectrum of poker and can only really play one type of game well. I enjoy playing 7-Game alot on full tilt poker because that gives you quite a variety of different game styles and constantly keeps you thinking and changing strategy.
:D

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
good reading and articles here.

Also is wise to read them all and apply some of those in your game.
And change gears..... when you think they have your tell's....

E

engman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the most obvious tell is when somebody auto checks. This means that somebody has a weak hand. On the other hand, if somebody quick reraises or auto folds, than they have a strong hand. This is what I've realized from playing online.

A

akalafr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm no expert by any means but I like to play the 6 handed game and every so often I get a good read from a person's betting pattern. Sometimes it's worth calling the person down all the way to see what he has.

I've developed a couple of these reads by doing so and try to find their table any time I can.

This individual person would try to steal pots with nothing by betting around a 1/3 of the pot. I figured it out and started dominating, the best part is he never realized he was doing it.

bonflizubi

bonflizubi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything Jennifear wrote is the gospel truth 99% of the time unless you are playing serious grinders who *might* pull an occasional tank with the nuts move on you. I've probably spent around 15-16 hours in coaching sessions with her and she is amazingly insightful.

Timing tells are one thing, but the biggest tell I find is pre-flop bet-sizing. Take notes on what position, multiple of the BB someone raised with, or did they limp etc.... and you will see that player X (hypothetically here) raises solid hands 4x while steal hands are 2.9x. This is especially prevalent at lower stakes. Bad players will raise more with better hands, and raise even more with like 99 that they are afraid to pay postflop.

In tny play I could never count all the chips that I won from 3betting players that had such obvious bet-sizing issues and re-popping them with nothing, because I knew they had nothing, because their bet-size told me.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think the most obvious tell is when somebody auto checks. This means that somebody has a weak hand. On the other hand, if somebody quick reraises or auto folds, than they have a strong hand. This is what I've realized from playing online.

In micro tourney play, I find the 'quick minraise' (ie. BB chk-MinRs) is usually a weak hand.

Misofer

Misofer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree with the auto-check been a sign for a weak-hand all the time. A lot of good players, use the check option to fool and deceive their opponent into make them believe they have the check/fold option. ESPECIALLY when the have a monster or "the nuts".

NeverFold

NeverFold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Overall, poker is very much a skill game. It's more than just the cards – it's everything but the cards that really matter. Neglecting these issues will halt you at a certain skill level, as you'll need more than just offensive skills, you'll need to know how to throw off your opponents in the wrong direction as well.

J

jimmyjames1713

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
betting patterns and time....pretty hard to find patterns...online stats...especially ROI is big

appaz86

appaz86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
betting patterns and time....pretty hard to find patterns...online stats...especially ROI is big

i dont buy into any of the other tells, i have seen ppl who know about them fake them so often!

ROI is my best resource, pokerprolabs and sharkscope on final tables is a must

i know if someone is there by skill or luck :)

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very difficult to read someone online that you never played before. However when you come across the same players time after time you should have a system for recording how they play. Whether this is a programme or your own notes is irrelevant as long as it is effective.

Poker Tells