Not looking at your cards until it's your turn to act...

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read likewise the Little Green Book. Nice book, nice advice. But you have to mix your moves and not always do the move all the time. Your opponent is watching you and they might get tells from you. Example-after seeing your cards, they will see any expression/tells since they know you just seen your cards for the very first time. Try to mix it up, by seeing the cards immediately after it dealt to you. With that, players will somehow be confused especially so that poker tells are crucial at live tourneys.

Goodluck sir!!!

Looking at your cards is not a "move" to be mixed up. That is in reference to 3-betting, squeeze plays, flat calling, etc.

But if you don't have it under enough control to look at your cards without fear of throwing tells then you should probably not be playing live, as looking at your cards out of turn will get the priority attention of sharks who can read those tells - as it is suspicious and may indicate a weaker player.
More than once, at my turn to act, I was looking downstream to those to act after me (who were peeking at their cards thinking all eyes are on me) and caught tells that either caused me to fold and they shoved their AA, or even shoved my 68o because it was evident they were going to fold.
Looking out of turn because you are afraid of someone catching a tell is just not a valid reason - if you are throwing off tells you will get caught by those looking for it, no matter when you do it.
Fortunately you (as well as I) are probably in games that most are not looking for it.

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never thing about that ...must try it.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Waiting to see your cards, or the community cards is standard live play. If you are ignoring the MASSIVE amount of free information available to observant opponents, you are effectively halving your edge. The same is true of observing hands you are not actively involved in.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do what works for you. Play the way you play. As for me, I prefer not to look at my cards until it's my turn to act. I feel fairly confident about my ability to look at my cards and call, raise or fold without giving any other information away. I'm not as confident in my ability maintain 100% discipline at all times without ever slipping. It would be arrogant of me to think that I could. But I do know with absolute certainty that I can't give away information that I don't have. I don't know why that doesn't make sense to more people.

this.

Jokerman66

Jokerman66

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sure, than you pay more attention in the other players